Noiseless neck pickup for Kurt Cobain Mustang

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

jonnyrocket

Noiseless neck pickup for Kurt Cobain Mustang

Post by jonnyrocket »

Hi, I have had a KC Mustang for a while now and love the guitar. Recently I have been wanting to replace the neck pickup for a noiseless pickup. It has a JB in the bridge and I think it came with 250K pots. I play mainly classic rock. My main problem with the current one is that it sounds a bit dull and lacking clarity.

I have been reading many forums and it seems that maybe one of the Dimarzio Area or one of the Duncan Stacks would be a good choice. If you guys have tried any of the Dimarzio Area or Duncan Stacks on the neck of a Mustang, which one do you think would work best with the 24" scale along with a JB?

Thanks!
Jon
sread92

Re: Noiseless neck pickup for Kurt Cobain Mustang

Post by sread92 »

jonnyrocket wrote:Hi, I have had a KC Mustang for a while now and love the guitar. Recently I have been wanting to replace the neck pickup for a noiseless pickup. It has a JB in the bridge and I think it came with 250K pots. I play mainly classic rock. My main problem with the current one is that it sounds a bit dull and lacking clarity.

I have been reading many forums and it seems that maybe one of the Dimarzio Area or one of the Duncan Stacks would be a good choice. If you guys have tried any of the Dimarzio Area or Duncan Stacks on the neck of a Mustang, which one do you think would work best with the 24" scale along with a JB?

Thanks!
Jon
Really any of the single coil shaped humbuckers should do the trick. JB JR are very popular, as are the Seymour Duncan Hot Rails.
I can personally vouch for the Hot Rails eliminating a lot of buzz, and improving tone immensely. My friend plays a Squier Strat, which years ago, when stock, would hum like crazy (and be somewhat lacking in tone) through his 70's double speaker fender amp. He swapped all 3 pickups for hot rails he got cheap or free, and although it wasn't as noiseless as a "true" humbucker would've been, I'd say it probably eliminated at least 80% of the noise.
Not only that but they sounded incredible too, that guitar really did sound wonderful with those pickups in, although they retained the clarity expected from a strat and single coil shapes, they had an amazing amount of bite to them and incredible sustain.
No personal experience with any of the others, but I'm guessing they're all pretty similar.
I think also changing the pots from 250 to 500 makes the tone a little brighter, more trebly, and then again from 500-1000. So it may be a lot cheaper and more time effective just to try changing the pot before you go ahead and change the pickup itself.
Hope this has been of some help

Edit:

Just found this on another forum which may help

Single coils sound better to most of us if a little treble is allowed to get lost. So 250K is usual.

Humbuckers don't have as much treble as single coils so 500K is usual to resist treble getting lost.

Some players who use certain humbuckers want to lose some treble and use 250K for humbuckers.

The JB is one pickup that actually sounds good with 250K pots. With 500K it's pretty trebley.
2004 White Mustang
2005 Blue Jagstang
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

Can't really offer any advice, but would like to get your opinion on the jb in the bridge. I have a kc mustang too, but i really don't get on with the jb. I find it very dark, and almost muffled when i play clean. It's been a long time since i played with hambakers. Do you find this issue too?

Think i'll probably put a single coil in there instead.
sread92

Post by sread92 »

gusman2x wrote:Can't really offer any advice, but would like to get your opinion on the jb in the bridge. I have a kc mustang too, but i really don't get on with the jb. I find it very dark, and almost muffled when i play clean. It's been a long time since i played with hambakers. Do you find this issue too?

You should check out my previous post, it might be worth putting a 500k pot in there for more clarity :)
Also whereabouts in Manchester you from bud? Bury lad here
2004 White Mustang
2005 Blue Jagstang
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

sread92 wrote:
gusman2x wrote:Can't really offer any advice, but would like to get your opinion on the jb in the bridge. I have a kc mustang too, but i really don't get on with the jb. I find it very dark, and almost muffled when i play clean. It's been a long time since i played with hambakers. Do you find this issue too?

You should check out my previous post, it might be worth putting a 500k pot in there for more clarity :)
Cheers man. I take it this would change the character of the neck SC though as well? I'm pretty happy with the SC. I think I probably just want a pretty std mustang pickup configuration.
jonnyrocket

Post by jonnyrocket »

gusman2x wrote:
sread92 wrote:

Cheers man. I take it this would change the character of the neck SC though as well? I'm pretty happy with the SC. I think I probably just want a pretty std mustang pickup configuration.
gusman2x, yes going from 250K pots to 500K will probably open up the JB but you are right, that would also change the character of your neck pickup. It will probably make it sound too bright as most single coil pickups don't work well with 500K pots. To me the JB sounds great and it is not muffled or dark on my guitar. Have you compared it to hum buckers in other guitars? If you want to have a more traditional mustang, maybe replace both pickups for standard single coil or noiseless pickups that sound like single coils.

I am looking for a neck pickup that is more clear and alive than the current one without being ice picky and with no hum!

cheers,
Jon
sread92

Post by sread92 »

jonnyrocket wrote:
gusman2x wrote:
sread92 wrote: You should check out my previous post, it might be worth putting a 500k pot in there for more clarity :)
gusman2x, yes going from 250K pots to 500K will probably open up the JB but you are right, that would also change the character of your neck pickup. It will probably make it sound too bright as most single coil pickups don't work well with 500K pots. To me the JB sounds great and it is not muffled or dark on my guitar. Have you compared it to hum buckers in other guitars? If you want to have a more traditional mustang, maybe replace both pickups for standard single coil or noiseless pickups that sound like single coils.

I am looking for a neck pickup that is more clear and alive than the current one without being ice picky and with no hum!

cheers,
Jon
I'd certainly look into a hot rail
2004 White Mustang
2005 Blue Jagstang
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

Post by theshadowofseattle »

1 MEG POTS ON EVERYTHING
Fakir Mustache wrote:Classic Shad Deluxe.
Nick wrote:Some of Shad's favorite Teles are black.
YuriK

Post by YuriK »

Another vote for hotrails
Or zexcoils!
Have you guys tried zexcoils!
I give them my 10/10 rating!
Beau In Space wrote:I hear this guy uses a capo.
Josh wrote:THATS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU POUR WINE ON IT INSTEAD OF BEER.
euan wrote:stop trying to put guitar mojo arrows on yuri's dick
sread92

Post by sread92 »

theshadowofseattle wrote:1 MEG POTS ON EVERYTHING
Probably don't do that
2004 White Mustang
2005 Blue Jagstang
weeping_moon

Post by weeping_moon »

sread92 wrote:
Probably don't do that
Hot rail with jb humbucker how does it sound togheter?

Yeeeeees! 1 meg potentiometer is hell of strong. Sounds so good with jaguar.
weeping_moon

Post by weeping_moon »

Please post pics of your Cobain stang! Sonic blue, Dakota red or Dark lake placid blue?
luciguci

Post by luciguci »

sread92 wrote:
Probably don't do that
1 MEG POTS ON EVERYTHING
Doog wrote:Tone is stored in the balls
theshadowofseattle wrote:That's why there's two: one for pee, one for tone.
🏳️‍⚧️🏳️‍🌈 (she/they)
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

daftsupernova wrote:
sread92 wrote:
Probably don't do that
1 MEG POTS ON EVERYTHING
you heard the man.

1 meg pots on everything.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

checkout the seymour duncan duckbucker. I have one in my bronco and I love it.

its a singlecoil humbucker designed to go in the middle of a strat. tons of mid range not muddy but not shrill either.

you can take the cover off and jam a mustang cover on it to keep the asthetic
dots wrote:incesticide
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

All of rob's guitars sound like drums. DON'T TRUST HIM.

PUT 1 MEG POTS IN IT.
othomas2

Post by othomas2 »

theshadowofseattle wrote:
daftsupernova wrote:
sread92 wrote: Probably don't do that
1 MEG POTS ON EVERYTHING
you heard the man.

I would agree too.
bluesngrunge

Post by bluesngrunge »

othomas2 wrote:
theshadowofseattle wrote:
daftsupernova wrote: 1 MEG POTS ON EVERYTHING
you heard the man.

I would agree too.
fuck yeah! Tonez more open than your whore mom's ass!
SKC Willie wrote:And obviously, I was much more interested in the dildos.
((teabag))
luciguci

Post by luciguci »

tone it down a bit there. this is the internet, not middle school.
Doog wrote:Tone is stored in the balls
theshadowofseattle wrote:That's why there's two: one for pee, one for tone.
🏳️‍⚧️🏳️‍🌈 (she/they)
YuriK

Post by YuriK »

1meg pots ON EVERYTHING
EVERYTHING!
Beau In Space wrote:I hear this guy uses a capo.
Josh wrote:THATS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU POUR WINE ON IT INSTEAD OF BEER.
euan wrote:stop trying to put guitar mojo arrows on yuri's dick