Sort of fixed that Teisco K-3L.

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

Richard

Sort of fixed that Teisco K-3L.

Post by Richard »

I'm at a bar and found a Teisco K-3L up on the wall. Talked to the owner and have the opportunity to buy it. Apparently someone tried to smash it. Body and neck are cracked, but could certainly be repaired(neck appears to be straight aside from the crack at the butt). Should I dew, and what is the most I should pay? I want a project. I guess I couldn't lose on the parts, and if I manage to fix it I'll probably keep it.

Link because I'm drunk and can't figure out how to hyperlink photos with flickr and my iPhone.

http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/89435716@N04/
Last edited by Richard on Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
skip wrote:satan rules
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

I don't understand what you want help with, pay what you feel comfortable paying.
paul_ wrote:When are homeland security gonna get on this "2-piece King Size Snickers" horseshit that showed up a couple years ago? I've started dropping one of them on the floor of my car every time.
Richard

Post by Richard »

I thought my question was pretty clear. I didn't know enough to make an informed decision and didn't want to fuck myself to death.

Irrelevant now, as I bought it for $50.
westtexasred
Shortscale Cultural Minister

Post by westtexasred »

Does it have the little tremolo spring cup(like below)? If it has one and you want to sell it let me know.

I need one for my K-3L.

Berto

Post by Berto »

Richard wrote:I thought my question was pretty clear. I didn't know enough to make an informed decision and didn't want to fuck myself to death.

Lucky bastard. If you can fix that up and getting it playing like new, those are phenomonal guitars. Cobascis had one a few months back that I was fortunate enough to play
IroniaSudby wrote:I just 4chan'd a little.
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Did you but it?
XY
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

Richard wrote:I thought my question was pretty clear. I didn't know enough to make an informed decision and didn't want to fuck myself to death.

I think you answered your own question, maybe you didn't realize it because you were drunk. You paid less than it's worth in parts, congrats.
paul_ wrote:When are homeland security gonna get on this "2-piece King Size Snickers" horseshit that showed up a couple years ago? I've started dropping one of them on the floor of my car every time.
Chris Fleming

Post by Chris Fleming »

that'll be lovely cleaned up. Should be an easy enough fix. I saw one when I was in Amsterdam and was going to grab it quick but when I got closer it turns out it was in terrible shape. Pretty much everything looked fucked on it. I seem to recall it had some sort of resin looking stuff filling massive holes that someone had randomly hacked out it.

Good score
Richard

Post by Richard »

Thanks everyone! I was too drunk last night. I valiantly fought my hangover to glue and clamp the body and neck cracks today. It's setting right now. The electronics appear to be original and complete, but I haven't tested them to see if they work yet. The tuners are wrong and there are only five of them. Needs a nut. The end of the truss rod, where you'd make adjustments, is missing. Didn't notice that last night. I'm going to assemble it and see what heppens. Obviously a project, but for $50 I can't complain. Worst case I'll just part it out.

Sorry WTR, mine is missing too.
westtexasred
Shortscale Cultural Minister

Post by westtexasred »

Richard wrote:Thanks everyone! I was too drunk last night. I valiantly fought my hangover to glue and clamp the body and neck cracks today. It's setting right now. The electronics appear to be original and complete, but I haven't tested them to see if they work yet. The tuners are wrong and there are only five of them. Needs a nut. The end of the truss rod, where you'd make adjustments, is missing. Didn't notice that last night. I'm going to assemble it and see what heppens. Obviously a project, but for $50 I can't complain. Worst case I'll just part it out.

Sorry WTR, mine is missing too.
Thanks for looking. You don't really need it unless you want to reassemble the trem. It plays fine as a hardtail with out it(maybe that is why these are usually missing from these guitars).
speedfish

Post by speedfish »

Congrats! Nice score. 8)
Disciple of Pain

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"

"Born to Lose. Live to Win." Lemmy Kilmister
Richard

Post by Richard »

Kind of fixed. Glued and clamped body and neck, scavenged a tuner off a cheap Strat copy that was in my closet(I have no idea where I got it), bought and filed down a nut, and put it together. Action is a little high for my taste(unfortunately I can't adjust the truss rod, as the end is broken off); shimmed the neck and set the bridge as low as I could to correct it as much as possible. Still very playable. Definitely not slide territory. Including strings and the nut, I'm in it for a total of about $68.

Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

i fucking love that color, hollr when you want to sell it.
Chris Fleming

Post by Chris Fleming »

Is there still the threaded end of the truss rod and the possibility of getting a nut for it? Looks like the type that has the wee holes to turn it without removing the neck?
Richard

Post by Richard »

There might be a little less than 1/8" of it sticking out. It broke off almost flush with the heel of the neck.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Forgot to add that the electronics work(mostly). The middle pickup is not working, but I think it's just the on/off switch, not the pickup itself. Neck and Bridge pickups, Rhythm/Solo switch, and all the pots work as they should.
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

that looks amazing.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Thanks Stewart! I really hope I can get the neck sorted out, because this thing is fucking rad. Super beat to shit. I'm digging the white witch hats I had sitting around.