My short review of the new MIM jaguars.

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

Nick
Y'SEE!?

My short review of the new MIM jaguars.

Post by Nick »

Well, the guitar center I used to work at finally got some jags in last week so I stopped in to check them out. They had the CAR with singles and White with humbuckers in stock. On first impression they are beautiful guitars, although I really think the trem plate location detracts enough from the looks to where I'd prefer a CIJ or MIA. Either way I plugged them in, starting with the CAR. First I played through a Fender Hot Rod deville, then a Brian May AC30 when I spotted it. It sounded like I imagine a jag sounding, however, bending on the high e string past the 12th fret buzzed it out. At first I thought it was a problem with the TOM style bridge, but then I picked up the HH model, which didn't have that problem whatsoever. However, when I plugged it in, the treble circuit didn't work at all.

Not quality at all. Yeah I'm sure these were just 2 bad apples but it speaks volumes to me about Fender's quality control. And before you say anything about it being Guitar Center's fault for the first one, not setting it up, the guitar played great and had ideal action (not shredder low, but not too high) up and down the neck. I didn't have a ton of time, nor did I care what was causing the problem. Out of box a guitar should be playable even if it isn't set up ideally. Most walmart guitars can get that much right, I have much higher expectations from an $800 guitar. Also this isn't the first Fender guitar in the classic players series to come through with a bad neck.
Last edited by Nick on Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

the trebble circuit is supposed to not work. its a kill switch now.
dots wrote:incesticide
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Re: My short review of the new MIM jaguars.

Post by robroe »

Nick wrote: Either way I plugged them in, starting with the CIJ. .
confused. did you mean to type MIM instead of CIJ ? or CAR ?
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

yeah, typo, I meant CAR.
aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

robroe wrote:the trebble circuit is supposed to not work. its a kill switch now.
hahahah, all across the nation , know it alls are picking up MIM HH jags and saying they dont work.
High quality, low popularity Ecstatic Fury
luke

Post by luke »

robroe wrote:the trebble circuit is supposed to not work. its a kill switch now.
Haha, I was about to say this. RTFM!
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

I'll have to try it out again then next time I'm there. Stupid place and type of switch for a killswitch.
TheBurbz

Post by TheBurbz »

I think the treble switch is going to be more useful than a kill switch.
luke

Post by luke »

I think they totally rewired the whole thing and the other two switches are coil taps or something.
aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

TheBurbz wrote:I think the treble switch is going to be more useful than a kill switch.
No.
Last edited by aen on Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
High quality, low popularity Ecstatic Fury
Sublimedo

Post by Sublimedo »

the rhythym switch is the kill switch and the two rollers are coil taps. Conversely, the several that I tried out at the Van Nuys Guitar Center we're all completely great. NOTHING to complain about, really.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

If that's the case with the HH jag, then I didn't have anything to complain about either. I thought I had tried every possible switch configuration and it still sounded muddy, but that might've been when I thought it was wired like the Jaguar Special.

The CAR however must've had some kinda warped neck or some shit. Again, I've taken Classic Players strats (2 in the year I worked there) out of the box with warped necks.
Sublimedo

Post by Sublimedo »

That is true, actually.I remember the buckers lacked some clarity even they were single coil'd. I may have been sorta blinded by the fact that I finally got to try one out.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

fender isn't exactly well known for thier humbuckers and guitars with humbuckers in them.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Putting that aside, that HH white is one of the most beautiful jags I've seen out of the factory in some time.

Trying out both jags I realized that the way I play I would hit into the switches a lot. Jazzy it is.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

WTF?

it took 9 minutes for the board to catch up to what i posted!!!!

i posted that first one...nothing happened...so i typed a second thought and clicked submit a second time and walked away.

9 fucking minutes? seriously?

what the fuck is wrong with the board lately?

i sense another mega crash / tempscale.org for a week coming on...i better get it ready to go
Ninja Mike 808

Post by Ninja Mike 808 »

robroe wrote:WTF?

it took 9 minutes for the board to catch up to what i posted!!!!

i posted that first one...nothing happened...so i typed a second thought and clicked submit a second time and walked away.

9 fucking minutes? seriously?

what the fuck is wrong with the board lately?

i sense another mega crash / tempscale.org for a week coming on...i better get it ready to go
It timed out on me for a second.
If you think of god as a pair of pants, a spiritualist thinks he needs pants, in fact he wants pants but none of the conventional types of pants seem to fit just right, so he makes his own pants and is happy that his knees are no longer cold.-fibus
Sublimedo

Post by Sublimedo »

robroe wrote:fender isn't exactly well known for thier humbuckers and guitars with humbuckers in them.

out of all my fenders and squiers I own the one that sounds best with humbuckers is my epiphone. haha
Word, but actually my MIM Toronado with humbuckes sounds fucking good. Its like a gibson fender. or Gibson without the boring.
Aeon

Post by Aeon »

Some guy posted this over on offsets,

dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

Aeon wrote:Some guy posted this over on offsets,

interesting. i wonder what one might sound like with decent pickups.