Reissue MIM WRHB. Any tips?

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

littlericky

Reissue MIM WRHB. Any tips?

Post by littlericky »

I had a set in a RI Tele Deluxe. Loved the guitar but never completely bonded with the pickups. I had change all 4 pots to 1 meg and push pulls for coil taps/shunts. Really liked the tapped sound but the HB were too bright. Anyone have better luck with different pot/ cap values? Is there a secret recipe that just works. Adding $600 worth of pickups wasn't an option.
aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

I have a 72 deluxe Ri. With 500k pots. It's the best. I used to have a custom with 1 Meg's, and the WRHB in the neck was so trebly you couldn't hear any beef at all. I sold the pickup, like an idiot.

When I got the deluxe (already modded) I was shocked to hear the great tones. The necks nice and beefy and warm, but still has some "fender snap". And the bridge pickup is fairly bright. Works very well with distortion fuzz.

So, er, yeah try 500k.
High quality, low popularity Ecstatic Fury
avj
A Select Individual

Post by avj »

My experience is precisely aen's. When I replaced the pots on mine, I first used 1M and found them too bright; I settled on 500k for all four.
littlericky

Post by littlericky »

Thanks. I'd like to eventually get another. I had SG fever and let the Deluxe go. We all make mistakes. I'll give another one a shot with 500s