Toronado Bridge on Duo sonic II?

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

BillClay

Toronado Bridge on Duo sonic II?

Post by BillClay »

I've got a duo sonic II and was just wondering if anyone knew if the toronado would work as a drop in replacement. I know 6 saddles aren't vintage correct, but I'm more concerned with not not having to drill new holes, and I can't get behind the prices people are trying to sell the originals for. Thanks.
endsjustifymeans
Grown Up Punk

Post by endsjustifymeans »

Dunno if it helps, but I dropped a toronado bridge on a 90's MIM Duo and it was a great fit. Just had to drill through for the string ferules, but it fit great, made intonation easier and added some much needed string tension on the 22" neck.
dots wrote:society is crumbling because of asshoels like ends
brainfur wrote:I'm having difficulty reconciling my desire to smash the state & kill all white people with my desire for a new telecaster
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

The toronado bridge needs holes drilled through the body in a stock configuration. It would also need some spacers to raise the bridge to the proper height. You could dril extra holes in the back of the bridge like the stock Duo Sonic bridges had.

I have seen some nice deals on Duo Sonic bridges lately, as low as $35. That would be the easiest option.

Duo Sonic II Bridge
Toronado Bridge
J Mascis Jazzmaster | AVRI Jaguar | Tuxedo-stang |Fender Toronado GT |
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
BillClay

Post by BillClay »

I'm not sure I get the height difference you're talking about, the strat like saddles are that much shorter than the barrels? Looking at your picture, it looks like the bridge mounts to the body with the same 3 hole/ 4 hole spacing, I guess my biggest concern is whether or not they have the same footprint?
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

Everyone I have seen use the Tornado bridge had to put spacers under it because it sat too low. You will have to install and see for yourself.I believe the footprint is the same, but you will have to either drill holes in the body or drill holes into the bridge plate so the strings can be top loading like the original Duo Sonic II bridges. I believe someone on the forum was able to do this successfully.

There is also is a MusicMaster bridge that would work as well. From the Squier Vista Musicmasters.

http://angela.com/fendermusicmaster6sad ... rules.aspx
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

[youtube][/youtube]

Mike talks about the bridge in the beginning of the video.
Mattsican

Post by Mattsican »

this thread seems pretty dead but i was watching the video from above and what can you use as bridge spacers?
facebook.com/Steelscape
facebook.com/GetToMars
finboy

Post by finboy »

Mike used cut up blank cd-r's, others gave used thin pieces of wood.
Mattsican

Post by Mattsican »

finboy wrote:Mike used cut up blank cd-r's, others gave used thin pieces of wood.
wouldn't that fuck with teh sweet toanz having the bridge not in direct contact with the body?
facebook.com/Steelscape
facebook.com/GetToMars
finboy

Post by finboy »

Mikes guitar sounds good to my ears
cur

Post by cur »

Maybe you could do it like a danelecto bridge and put the front screws under the bridge.