A Jaguar project, **finished**

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

JamesSmann

Post by JamesSmann »

rodvonbon wrote:
St. Jimmy wrote:hey rod, question for ya...what do you use for your clear coat?
Reranch clear nitro. I also used reranch Fiesta red for the color. It was real easy to use.
cool...i've probably been using all the wrong shit on my Esquire-ish project. LOL...your refins always look so fucking great dude!
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

Post by hotrodperlmutter »

rod those look awesome. that swinger with string thru is boner!

SWINGTHRU
dots wrote:fuck that guy in his bunkhole.
rodvonbon

Post by rodvonbon »

St. Jimmy wrote:
rodvonbon wrote:
Reranch clear nitro. I also used reranch Fiesta red for the color. It was real easy to use.
cool...i've probably been using all the wrong shit on my Esquire-ish project. LOL...your refins always look so fucking great dude!
Before wet sanding and polishing it, it looked pretty good, but not great. I think the key, besides allowing for cure time, is wet sanding and buffing. I sprayed in less than ideal conditions and there were little bumps and some lint stuck to it. I went from 600,800,1000,1200,1500 and finally 2000 grit sand paper, then I used a medium grade cutting compound then finess it for the final polish. It sounds like a lot of work, but really only took about an hour.
Life is "Pointless......but manageable"
rodvonbon

Post by rodvonbon »

hotrodperlmutter wrote:rod those look awesome. that swinger with string thru is boner!

SWINGTHRU
It wasn't my original plan, but the Toronado bridge was only 30 bucks!
JamesSmann

Post by JamesSmann »

rodvonbon wrote:
St. Jimmy wrote:
rodvonbon wrote: Reranch clear nitro. I also used reranch Fiesta red for the color. It was real easy to use.
Before wet sanding and polishing it, it looked pretty good, but not great. I think the key, besides allowing for cure time, is wet sanding and buffing. I sprayed in less than ideal conditions and there were little bumps and some lint stuck to it. I went from 600,800,1000,1200,1500 and finally 2000 grit sand paper, then I used a medium grade cutting compound then finess it for the final polish. It sounds like a lot of work, but really only took about an hour.
question, which will make me sound so n00by...what exactly is "Wet sanding"?
rodvonbon

Post by rodvonbon »

St. Jimmy wrote:question, which will make me sound so n00by...what exactly is "Wet sanding"?
It's just what it sounds like. There is a kind of sanpaper thats used in car finishing and the backing doesn't tear apart when it gets wet. What I did is filled up a bowl with warm water and a little bit of dish soap, soaked the paper and went about sanding. I think the water keeps the friction to a minimum and the dust won't be abrasive as your working. If the paint/clear isn't very thick it is easy to sand through it.
JamesSmann

Post by JamesSmann »

rodvonbon wrote:
St. Jimmy wrote:question, which will make me sound so n00by...what exactly is "Wet sanding"?
It's just what it sounds like. There is a kind of sanpaper thats used in car finishing and the backing doesn't tear apart when it gets wet. What I did is filled up a bowl with warm water and a little bit of dish soap, soaked the paper and went about sanding. I think the water keeps the friction to a minimum and the dust won't be abrasive as your working. If the paint/clear isn't very thick it is easy to sand through it.
awesome! great tip...any brand of sand paper for wet sanding that you could reccomend?
BobArsecake
a mannequin made by madmen

Post by BobArsecake »

While I think the Jag is beautiful I feel sad about getting rid of the original logo etc.
rodvonbon

Post by rodvonbon »

BobArsecake wrote:While I think the Jag is beautiful I feel sad about getting rid of the original logo etc.
The face of the headstock was refinished and had a repro decal when I bought it.
BobArsecake
a mannequin made by madmen

Post by BobArsecake »

Ah I see, I suppose it did look rather clean for an original '65.
robert(original)

Post by robert(original) »

rod, is that the same swinger i played?
and btw, when are you going to sell me that jaguar?
rodvonbon

Post by rodvonbon »

St. Jimmy wrote: awesome! great tip...any brand of sand paper for wet sanding that you could reccomend?
3M
robert(original) wrote:rod, is that the same swinger i played?
Yeah, same one. The finish is MUCH better than last time.
robert(original) wrote:when are you going to sell me that jaguar?
C'mon, I just put it together, let me get sick of it first :D
robert(original)

Post by robert(original) »

that will never happen, you have like 30 vintage stangs, and a load of bad ass shortscales that you specially told me "im not selling any of them, no matter what"
lexx9

Post by lexx9 »

The Jag looks awesome. The refinish is deadly! lexx
ultratwin
The 25.5" subversion

Post by ultratwin »

Good fun and nice work, Ron-o.
lancer88

wow

Post by lancer88 »

that thing looks killer!
"Jesus Murphy!"
Justin J

Post by Justin J »

St. Jimmy wrote:
rodvonbon wrote:
jimmy, deft clear works really well and is considerably cheaper than reranch. it's nitrocellulose and either $3 or $5 a can (i can't remember which) at lowes. make sure to get gloss. looks like this:
Ninja Mike 808

Post by Ninja Mike 808 »

Your guitars always make me jealous.
If you think of god as a pair of pants, a spiritualist thinks he needs pants, in fact he wants pants but none of the conventional types of pants seem to fit just right, so he makes his own pants and is happy that his knees are no longer cold.-fibus
benecol

Post by benecol »

*points at ninjamike*

Hello you.
Ninja Mike 808

Post by Ninja Mike 808 »

benecol wrote:*points at ninjamike*

Hello you.
Hey buddy,

Thanks for what you said to my boss, btw
If you think of god as a pair of pants, a spiritualist thinks he needs pants, in fact he wants pants but none of the conventional types of pants seem to fit just right, so he makes his own pants and is happy that his knees are no longer cold.-fibus