Shortscale/Offset Builders and Luthiers

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

George

Shortscale/Offset Builders and Luthiers

Post by George »

I'm new here so first off, hello to all! Been browsing for a while but am finally making a post. I recognise a few names here and there from jag-stang.com as well which is nice.

I thought this would be the best place to ask - does anyone know any builders or luthiers that have experience with building Mustangs and Jazzmasters in the UK? I'm looking to do a project some time in the future and need someone to build me a custom body. I've been looking about googling some of the big name luthiers in the UK and they only seem to build strats, teles and ibanez styles at an extortionate price. I'm looking for an idea of price and the process of it at the minute.

Cheers
Will
Up on his Whore Lore

Post by Will »

Welcome aboard!

What about the body do you want to be custom? Having someone make you a body will usually be more expensive than starting with a Warmoth or Allparts body and finishing it yourself.
robert(original)

Post by robert(original) »

i know fran has the skills and he is in the uk, besides that nothing else rings a bell, besides a few pedal builders.
George

Post by George »

This design isn't gonna set the world on fire but it'll need to be a custom job. I'm after the body painted and finished, and a pickguard.

Here's the rough mockup I made from various templates got from the internet and fender site - hope I'm not stepping on any toes...

It's basically a 25.5" scaled Mustang with a Jazzy/Jag bridge and trem, and strat pup routes - all my favourite fender things. It's also gonna have a side jack like a tele. I matched up all the parts using neck pockets so its kind of to scale.

How much would this sort of thing cost do you think? I've never commissioned anything and mostly buy second hand. As for Fran, I've seen him about but don't really know him. I might have to bend his ear when sometime when he's got a spare moment.
Last edited by George on Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
othomas2

Post by othomas2 »

There's a guy based in London who does some stunning work for reasonable prices... if I was to do a custom jobby it'd be from him.

Mainly posts on offset and goes by the name of theworkoffire.
George

Post by George »

Thanks for the heads up. I'll have a poke around.
George

Re: Shortscale/Offset Builders and Luthiers

Post by George »

George wrote:I'm new here so first off, hello to all! Been browsing for a while but am finally making a post. I recognise a few names here and there from jag-stang.com as well which is nice.

I thought this would be the best place to ask - does anyone know any builders or luthiers that have experience with building Mustangs and Jazzmasters in the UK? I'm looking to do a project some time in the future and need someone to build me a custom body. I've been looking about googling some of the big name luthiers in the UK and they only seem to build strats, teles and ibanez styles at an extortionate price. I'm looking for an idea of price and the process of it at the minute.

Cheers
Hey fag, this is what you end up building...

http://www.shortscale.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=47113
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

othomas2 wrote:theworkoffire
Yes, Ben did the nitro finish and setup on my tele thinline. Excellent quality work.

A problem shared by most small shop luthiers, in my somewhat limited experience, is that they have jobs/lives and your project may take a year to come back to you. It's completely understandable, but I think if I were going for a full custom guitar build I'd go for a Gordon Smith (if I liked any of their designs) or more likely someone like Creston Electric (http://www.crestonguitars.com) and pay that bit extra.