NGD - Jerry Jones Longhorn Baritone

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

benecol
Best Poster 2010

NGD - Jerry Jones Longhorn Baritone

Post by benecol »

I've waited ages to get this thing...

I used to have a Dano Longhorn baritone (when I first joined shortscale ten years ago, actually) but sold it just before my daughter was born (it funded my Jazzmaster - I figured I'd be double-skint, and never buy any guitars ever again. Naively.). I loved it, and I missed it. Other Danos and baritones have come and gone, but nothing was quite the same. Then Dano went and funded Prop 8 (and Trump), so owning a Dano became a no-go for me.

Jerry Jones hand made Dano copies, and by all accounts is a nice person. But he retired at around the same time as I had funds again. And prices of Jerry Joneses shot up. I saw this one for sale (was an old listing) around when I sold my 335. Rather fantastically, one of my friends is a Californian ex-pat; he still travels back to the states five or six times a year, and he's allowed by the airline to bring one luxury item back per trip. He offered to bring me a guitar back!

I'VE DODGED THE COMEDY TAX, SHORTSCALE.

It was strung E-E when it got here (it's the Bass 6 model, so 30" scale - JJ baris are usually 28.5"), but I've restrung it with lighter(ish) strings and tuned it A-A.

It sounds fucking amazing. My nicest sounding guitar. I want another JJ now. It's got that piano-sounding thing I like in the long scale, and it really snarls when you dig in by the neck pickup. I love it to bits.

(I did take out the stars'n'bars paper he'd stuck under the pickguard though).
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

That has just the right amount of fucking ugly that brings me round to thinking... Aye I like that.
XY
cooter

Post by cooter »

Nice!
Smells like Rock n' Roll
ultratwin
The 25.5" subversion

Post by ultratwin »

A proper gem, that's a keepah.

I played rhythm on a similar JJ tuned up (er...down?) to B for about 6 months while touring with Seungwhan Lee (on loan from the lead guitarist of the band), and the lipsticks were even quite usable when doing an OD toanz.
lorez

Post by lorez »

The colour looks like my old racing bike from when I was a kid. What’s the body made from?
plopswagon wrote:I like teles and strats because they're made out of guitar.
robroe wrote:I dont need a capo. I have the other chords in my tonefingers
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

lorez wrote:The colour looks like my old racing bike from when I was a kid. What’s the body made from?
Pure mojo
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Boke.

Chuffed for you for how much you like it, though. I'm sure it sounds great.
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

Cats know where it's at:

cooter

Post by cooter »

I love it. Are the Jerry Jones string through? Got a shot of the back?
Smells like Rock n' Roll
westtexasred
Shortscale Cultural Minister

Post by westtexasred »

You could play Rawhide on that.

[youtube][/youtube]
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

cooter wrote:I love it. Are the Jerry Jones string through? Got a shot of the back?
You've made one a couple of years ago IIRC, Cooter?
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
cooter

Post by cooter »

sunshiner wrote:
cooter wrote:I love it. Are the Jerry Jones string through? Got a shot of the back?
You've made one a couple of years ago IIRC, Cooter?
Well, sort of, I sold it before it was completely finished. Seems like the building is where I get my ya ya's out.
I'd never really thoroughly checked out the Jerry Jones stuff until now. His website is still up and there's a lot of good build info listed. Not many back photo's though.
Smells like Rock n' Roll
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

Hey Cooter! I'll take a pic for you in daylight soon, but: yes, it's string through, with tele-style (sort of) ferrules on the back. However, one weird detail (which I love, and until I typed this assumed was deliberate, but now I'm thinking may just have been an "oh shit" grab for the parts bin) is that the two bass strings ferrules run far deeper as you look at them (so the ball-end is closer to the bridge), while the other four strings are comparatively shallow.

I'm going to pretend this is some sort of resonance/making sure the strings fit thing.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Not my thing Tim as you know but looks good, nice case as well.

Good to see someone making a decent purchase. It's been quiet on here and when anyone does buy anything it's usually a tyre-kicker purchase on gumtree or craiglist :lol:

I'm guilty as charged on that as well.
cooter

Post by cooter »

benecol wrote:Hey Cooter! I'll take a pic for you in daylight soon, but: yes, it's string through, with tele-style (sort of) ferrules on the back. However, one weird detail (which I love, and until I typed this assumed was deliberate, but now I'm thinking may just have been an "oh shit" grab for the parts bin) is that the two bass strings ferrules run far deeper as you look at them (so the ball-end is closer to the bridge), while the other four strings are comparatively shallow.

I'm going to pretend this is some sort of resonance/making sure the strings fit thing.
Thanks! Very cool Bass VI you have. I'm happy you were able to get it.
I've been checking out the JJ website and he lists the aftermarket parts he used on his builds as well as lots of specs. Great resource. I noticed that he only lists 500k and 100k pots as being used.
I'm assuming 100k on bass guitars and 500k on guitars? Not sure how they went on a Bass VI.
From everything I've read, anyone that owns a Jerry Jones pretty much agrees that they are miles above a Dano. Now that he's retired not only do you have a great guitar but a nice investment as well. Congrats.
Smells like Rock n' Roll
Ankhanu

Post by Ankhanu »

Very cool. The Dano longhorn VIs were, IIRC, the first VIs - I've wanted to give one a go.
Stringing a 30" with light baritone strings works pretty well; the extra scale length gives them an interesting snap. I'd love to hear that with the lipsticks!
ekwatts wrote:That's American cinema, that is. Fucking sparkles.
Donate to Ankhanu Press
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

Insecure Men Vibes
[youtube][/youtube]
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Been 5 days now when are we getting a fucking DEMO!
XY
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Fran wrote:
Good to see someone making a decent purchase. It's been quiet on here and when anyone does buy anything it's usually a tyre-kicker purchase on gumtree or craiglist :lol:

I'm guilty as charged on that as well.
That's a bloody good point Fran - Was thinking about the last considered purchase I made and it was my Yamaha SG... that was 2 years ago.
XY
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Love the colour, makes the whole even more mythical-looking.