NGD - Jag-Stang

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

serfx
ss.o bastard son

NGD - Jag-Stang

Post by serfx »

So as I mentioned in my recent update in the pub, I bought a Jag-Stang recently, via ebayz.
was advertized as a 90s run, however serial number looks more like a 2000s run.
but that is the fun of a crafted in japan guitar. (it is CIJ, so prob maybe early 2000s)
anyways on to the photo bomb.
► Show Spoiler
couple finish chips and knocks on the headstock, but i'm cool with it.
gave it a tune up, setup is already perfect, came with a set of 11-56s (no wound 3rd, but that's ok)

been playing it for the past couple hours
stoked on it.
Last edited by serfx on Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
paul_

Re: NGD - Jag-Stang

Post by paul_ »

Nice!

"Crafted In Japan" wasn't an '00s thing btw, our wiki is wrong about only the reissues being that way... My Jag-Stang is a '97 CIJ (and so is my Jaguar). The best way to tell if it's a reissue or not via cursory glance is whether the "designed by Kurt Cobain" on the back of the headstock is a clear sticker ('90s) or decal'd lettering under the lacquer just like the Fender and Jag-Stang logos on the front (reissue).
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
serfx
ss.o bastard son

Post by serfx »

much appreciated.

the designed by looks more like a 90s, I took the neck of and it just had Jag-70 stamped on it, i know some 90s had a heal stamp, and some don't

and no modern ones do, iirc.
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

That looks really nice. Pretty clean overall.
serfx
ss.o bastard son

Post by serfx »

based on the '96 neck I have for a project that has stalled, I'd say the JagStang I bought is probably a 2002.
and i'm totally okay with that. also explains why the sonic blue isn't as faded as I anticipated it to be.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Nice. I've owned about four of these and the quality varies, they seem to be inconsistent.
If you got a good one, hang on to it! I didnt and regret it.
The best one I owned was a later model, 2002 I think, the feel of neck was great :D
serfx
ss.o bastard son

Post by serfx »

pretty stoked on it so far, neck feels like the 66 duo sonic II one i have on my Jaguar.
couple nicks, nothing that will stop me from enjoying it though.

took the guard off, og pickups and pots (it is a 2002) everything still clean, no mods attempted. gonna leave it stock a while longer as well, super distortion will go in the bridge eventually, but for now I'm just getting to know the guitar.
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

If you're gonna stick a Super Distortion in the bridge. You're gonna wanna change those pots and stick a .022 cap on that tone pot.

The general consensus on Jagstang's seems to be that they're muddy as shit sounding with the stock setup. Do you find this?

Found myself earlier this evening really wanting the Ryan Jarman Jagstang thang:
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
serfx
ss.o bastard son

Post by serfx »

thatis pretty gnarly

so it has asmall grounding issue will resolve with thepickup change.
the stock pup is better than anticipated may just drop an .022 orange cap withour swapping to seeif that helps give it some definition.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

I liked the stock bridge pickup with 500k pots infinitely more than the stock 250s, but the tradeoff there is the sound of the neck pickup (MIJ '57/'62 reissue Strat unit) will change too.

If you do a Super Distortion you'll most definitely want to step up to 500k pots, I currently have a Super Distortion in my JS... that thing will be muddy as fuck with 250k, like my Epi LP w/DiMarzios was when I got it (someone had replaced a pot with the wrong type). Technically this is the stock JS's problem too though... design-wise the only acknowledgement of the humbucker is the space routed for it.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

Since single coils generally sound better with 250k pots, my thought is to drop in a brighter bucker if you're going to do a pup swap. I think that's one reason why the JB is so popular in Jag-Stangs. I don't want high output, so I'm going to try a Duncan 59. I think the 250k pots will tame the 59's top end. Never known anyone to put a 59 in J-S before, so we'll see.

Of course if you love the Super Distortion, more power to you. 500k pots FTW!
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Super distortions are great in shortscales. Dirty all the time, it'd too mean for cleans!
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

Re: NGD - Jag-Stang

Post by theshadowofseattle »

serfx wrote:(no wound 3rd, but that's ok)
NEVER OK
Fakir Mustache wrote:Classic Shad Deluxe.
Nick wrote:Some of Shad's favorite Teles are black.