Danelectro DC59s and the like

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

NickS

Post by NickS »

Doog wrote:#steeltrussrodsdontjustmeltguys
:)
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

The position of the pickup is important, imo. If you put pickup closer to the 22nd fret (or to the nut in general) it gives 1) warmer sound for all of the open strings 2) if you take a note down the neck, you will shorten the scale for sure, but in this new scale the neck pickup will be again closer to the note that you are taking, and in comparison with the pickup that's placed at the 24th fret, you'll get warmer sound.

I think this is exactly why Les Paul sounds much warmer than SG.
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Got a day off on Wednesday, gonna walk my happy ass into town to finally try one of these suckaz out.

Hope I don't hate 'em!
cur

Post by cur »

Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Doog wrote:Hope I don't hate 'em!
Like Mr Dan Electro hates THE FEELS of free thinking peeps amirite?
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

Got a few in Wunjo as well. £325 I think. Mrs gusman keeps trying to get me to buy one.
www.lowrisemusic.com

uugh, another Manchester alt/indie band
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Mike wrote:
Looking to buy used, and am still struggling with the whole thing. Harumphh.
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Had a dream last night that I found my 63 lying behind my guitar rack and was very happy that I hadn't sold it after all, woke up and looked... It wasn't there... :cry:
XY
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

Doog wrote:
Mike wrote:
Looking to buy used, and am still struggling with the whole thing. Harumphh.
Oh you. Danelectro haven't made something cool for at least 10 years. This not-buying-dano was never difficult before.
cur

Post by cur »

I don't know. I really like the dead on 67 and it's neck is different than the other dano's.

sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

63 and Dead on were dirt cheap 5 years ago, on Thomann.de they were like 180 - 200 euros while Epis (g400, wilshire) started at about 250. At the time I thought that Chinese Danelectro's were the super cheesy rivals of cheesy Epiphone. The truth is that those Danos sounded better than most of the guitars from the under $300 price range
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

As I wanted to get out of the house for a bit today on my day-off, I headed into town for a few things and tried out a DC59M NOS (well, two) in Wunjo and was extremely underwhelmed, not least of all by the crackly electrics on both examples.

I'm sure the light, old rusted strings and non-existent setup didn't help their cases, but I felt like I was fighting it rather than playing it. I know bellends like Jack White enjoy that, but they also are scared of things like electricity and barre chords.

The middle pickup selection being wired in series makes for a huge jump in volume, which is a big turn-off for me, and just had me constantly fiddling with the volume on a clean setting.

No idea if this is representative of them but they really just felt nasty, and has made a difficult decision very easy.

On the plus side, I was playing it through this UK-made, 22-watt beauty, which was lovely: http://www.wunjoguitars.com/shop/amplif ... -22-amp-uk
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

They also had one of these guys, but at £799, I didn't wanna try it, in case I fell in love:

[youtube][/youtube]
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

Doog wrote:They also had one of these guys, but at £799, I didn't wanna try it, in case I fell in love:
£799 = $1219.81, for an Eastwood.

:shock:
paul_ wrote:When are homeland security gonna get on this "2-piece King Size Snickers" horseshit that showed up a couple years ago? I've started dropping one of them on the floor of my car every time.
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

A handy aide de memoir is: Eastwood - no good.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

jcyphe wrote:
Doog wrote:They also had one of these guys, but at £799, I didn't wanna try it, in case I fell in love:
£799 = $1219.81, for an Eastwood.

:shock:
And wwwwwwelcome to the UK import market.
benecol wrote:A handy aide de memoir is: Eastwood - no good.
Isn't this another "main guy is a total ringpiece" issue, or are the guitars that bad?
Josh
The Curmudgeon

Post by Josh »

Doog wrote:As I wanted to get out of the house for a bit today on my day-off, I headed into town for a few things and tried out a DC59M NOS (well, two) in Wunjo and was extremely underwhelmed, not least of all by the crackly electrics on both examples.

I'm sure the light, old rusted strings and non-existent setup didn't help their cases, but I felt like I was fighting it rather than playing it. I know bellends like Jack White enjoy that, but they also are scared of things like electricity and barre chords.

The middle pickup selection being wired in series makes for a huge jump in volume, which is a big turn-off for me, and just had me constantly fiddling with the volume on a clean setting.

No idea if this is representative of them but they really just felt nasty, and has made a difficult decision very easy.

On the plus side, I was playing it through this UK-made, 22-watt beauty, which was lovely:
http://www.wunjoguitars.com/shop/amplif ... -22-amp-uk
Def must be a dano problem. My old silvetone plays like a dream, no fighting whatsoever. Some of them new Danos just don't play as good.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

I adore Dano xii's, yet I optimistically tried out a $199 used grayburst U2 the other day and was totally let down. Felt and sounded cheap...maybe had light strings on it or something.

I also like the Convertible we have.

Maybe just a quality control or setup issue.
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

Doog wrote:
benecol wrote:A handy aide de memoir is: Eastwood - no good.
Isn't this another "main guy is a total ringpiece" issue, or are the guitars that bad?
Both. He's a bellend and his Chinese made guitars (some of which are just BLATANT re-badged Goulds, Aldens and Hutchins models) are worth around half, or even a third of what they tend to go for. They aren't shit by any means but imagine Squier charging £799 for their vintage modified series and you're in the Eastwood leagues.

I'd have one if I could bag it cheap but not at their fucking derp-a-derp-a-doo prices.
Brandon W wrote:you elites.
sholkham

Post by sholkham »

I remember seeing that amp last time I was in London, one of the staff was playing some Zvex pedals through it and it sounded ace.