Squier Supersonic for $800?

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

HellaMelos

Squier Supersonic for $800?

Post by HellaMelos »

Ebay

In the description it says it is "in "Twilight Zone" condition, and has no condition issues that I can see. I bought this guitar for the sparkle blue finish, and rarely played it. Like new!"

Is $800 WAY too much for a squier supersonic?

I see that some of you snagged up supersonics for less than $500.

I'm already thinking I may drop a SD JB in the bridge and a SD Jazz in the Neck, so I really don't think I can make myself bite the bullet on such a high priced Supersonic that I'm going to have to upgrade.

How often do you guys see them up on Ebay? I know this guitar is rare.

(I really wish the Kurt Cobain mustang sale for $600 would still be going on, but I missed that...)
mixtape

Post by mixtape »

Usually one turns up every several weeks or so. If it's near mint and dead stock, $800 maybe isn't absurd, but you can and will do better unless you're extremely fussy and/or impatient. Maybe not better to the tune of under $500, but don't worry about this one being your last chance or anything. Just keep an eye on this thread. It will give you a better feel for pricing as well.

I fully support your Super Sonic GAS, by the way. I've been playing one since '98, and it's my burning building guitar. Oh, and I'll be dropping a JB and a Jazz in it the next time I feel like opening it up. :)
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

id rather buy one that the body is all fucked up for 200 and fix it

fuck paying more money for shit without scratches
dots wrote:incesticide
HellaMelos

Post by HellaMelos »

robroe wrote:id rather buy one that the body is all fucked up for 200 and fix it

right on. we call this "mojo" down in louisiana
YuriK

Post by YuriK »

I love guitar buying logic
Less money for real scratches
More money for fake scratches
Its good though
Cuz real relics look beautiful
Beau In Space wrote:I hear this guy uses a capo.
Josh wrote:THATS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU POUR WINE ON IT INSTEAD OF BEER.
euan wrote:stop trying to put guitar mojo arrows on yuri's dick
HellaMelos

Post by HellaMelos »

mixtape wrote:Usually one turns up every several weeks or so. If it's near mint and dead stock, $800 maybe isn't absurd, but you can and will do better unless you're extremely fussy and/or impatient.
Thank you! I get a tad obsessed and impatient when I start really wanting something. Part of me wanted one that looked brand new, but honestly as long as the neck plays amazing, I don't mind a few dings and scratches. I've only been on this forum for a few days now, and I'm so glad I joined! You guys are all very helpful.
Rox

Post by Rox »

robroe wrote:id rather buy one that the body is all fucked up for 200 and fix it

Rather just buy the PawnShop at that kind of money.. ((hide))
HellaMelos

Post by HellaMelos »

ehhh not a fan of mim guitars. I know there are some good ones out there, but I'm all about that konichiwa
speedfish

Re: Squier Supersonic for $800?

Post by speedfish »

HellaMelos wrote:Ebay

How often do you guys see them up on Ebay? I know this guitar is rare.
Have you browsed my post? I try to update when new ones show up, occasionally miss one, but it's pretty accurate. Japanese only!

http://shortscale.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=48677
Disciple of Pain

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"

"Born to Lose. Live to Win." Lemmy Kilmister
HellaMelos

Post by HellaMelos »

[/quote]

Have you browsed my post? I try to update when new ones show up, occasionally miss one, but it's pretty accurate. Japanese only!

http://shortscale.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=48677[/quote]

I I definitely have ;)
wadeaminute

Post by wadeaminute »

I think that the most I've paid is $500, and maybe shipping on top of that. My blue one was $299, the black one was $400, my second white one was $500, my second silver one was around $350, and the other two (white and silver) I don't remember. These last two were bought through eBay around 2009 - I think for around $500 each.

I put most of the SSSs on my Watch List so I end up seeing what the going rate is. It looks like a lot of them are not selling for what they are asking. At least one went for $635.

If I found one for $500, I'd buy it. If I didn't already have a few, I'd pay more to make sure that I at least had one.
A Whole Bunch of Guitars. Some with sparkles. Some with Pearl. Some with racing stripes.
Rox

Post by Rox »

HellaMelos wrote:ehhh not a fan of mim guitars. I know there are some good ones out there, but I'm all about that konichiwa
Wat ju mean ju no like Mexican?!!

paul_

Post by paul_ »

Surely you both meant to say MIA Fenders are the greatest guitars on Earth
*cocks rifle in your faces*
...or aryew a coupla them goddam funnies??

$800 sounds high to me but he's clearly pushing the pristine condition angle. If you really want a mint condition blue sparkle one you could spend that much money and it wouldn't make you a total asshole or anything, the decent MIM Fenders are all headed higher than that price-wise anyway and this one is spec'd quite differently to the MIM. It just seems a tad cheeky to me that he's gone with $800 like a new one; he clearly identifies the same advantages with this one that you do (aka he knows what he's got). Since he's making a slight salesman schtick of it, it's clear you could find a better deal on one.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
HellaMelos

Post by HellaMelos »

paul_ wrote:Surely you both meant to say MIA Fenders are the greatest guitars on Earth
*cocks rifle in your faces*
...or aryew a coupla them goddam funnies??
Doug

Post by Doug »

[quote="HellaMelos"]Ebay In the description it says it is "in "Twilight Zone" condition, and has no condition issues that I can see. I bought this guitar for the sparkle blue finish, and rarely played it. Like new!" Is $800 WAY too much for a squier supersonic?

We tend to forget that some used guitars sell with a good case. And some have no case. A good case is about a $100 retail value....so ya wanna take that into account as you consider price.
Doug
Doug

Post by Doug »

[quote="HellaMelos"]Ebay In the description it says it is "in "Twilight Zone" condition, and has no condition issues that I can see. I bought this guitar for the sparkle blue finish, and rarely played it. Like new!" Is $800 WAY too much for a squier supersonic?

We tend to forget that some used guitars sell with a good case. And some have no case. A good case is about a $100 retail value....so ya wanna take that into account as you consider price.
Doug
molokoplus

Post by molokoplus »

mixtape

Post by mixtape »

Trust me, from what you've said elsewhere, you want the original Super-Sonic. Do not settle for the reissue. The neck plays very differently.
wadeaminute

Post by wadeaminute »

I have both sorts of Super-Sonics. The Squiers have tiny necks, the Pawn Shop Fenders have chunky necks. Both are good in their own ways.
If I didn't already have a gun-metal grey Fender, I would buy that one in a second. They were $799 new.
The gun-metal grey is actually purple sparkle when you see it up close.
A Whole Bunch of Guitars. Some with sparkles. Some with Pearl. Some with racing stripes.
HellaMelos

Post by HellaMelos »

mixtape wrote:Trust me, from what you've said elsewhere, you want the original Super-Sonic. Do not settle for the reissue. The neck plays very differently.
REALLY wanted the squier, but snagged a reissue in gunmetal for $350. Couldn't pass up the deal! 8)