Judging bands by their pedal boards

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

Using a tuner has really affected my ability to tune by ear. I never used a tuner up until a couple of years ago. It's kinda like gps, in as much that you start to lose your sense of direction, because you're just relying on a machine to tell you what to do.

Oddly enough though, after 20 years of playing, in the last 6 months i've developed the ability to figure things out by ear. Odd really, but i think it coincides with the fact that i now play (and write) 10 times more than i ever have.
luciguci

Post by luciguci »

I was sleeping while all this went down but lemme just put in one last word: if a gay man is okay with "faggot", that does not mean all people in the LGBT+ community are. Ultimately, it depends on who is around that is comfortable with it. If someone in the group is uncomfortable with the slur being used, then you simply do not use it when they are around.

Here's a good analogy, it's like being white and growing up with a black friend who is okay with you saying "nigga". Just because they're okay with you saying it does not mean you're free to say it all the time just because your one friend gives you the okay. In fact, a lot of black people don't like the word being used at all.

Back on topic, I actually love seeing a band with a pedalboard full of mass-produced pedals, especially if they're getting rad sounds out of them. I believe the guitarists for LSD & the Search For God use mostly Boss pedals and they sound fucking otherworldly, I love it. When I see someone has a board full of boutique pedals, it's almost always a guy that plays at his church. Especially when there's a ton of JHS pedals, church players love praising Jesus with JHS pedals.
Doog wrote:Tone is stored in the balls
theshadowofseattle wrote:That's why there's two: one for pee, one for tone.
🏳️‍⚧️🏳️‍🌈 (she/they)
othomas2

Post by othomas2 »

These guys have terrible choices:

http://www.shortscale.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20
George

Post by George »

Blandest88 wrote:I dont have much of a pedal board:Image
lmfao, username and everything
bluesngrunge

Post by bluesngrunge »

George wrote:
my board is a ds2 and a small clone.
SKC Willie wrote:And obviously, I was much more interested in the dildos.
((teabag))
JordanD

Post by JordanD »

NickD wrote:
JordanD wrote:
George wrote:yeah, i don't really judge people too much on their gear, more the stuff i'd listed previously. attitude is the biggest issue.

however, i do feel a little bit embarrassed for someone who gets onstage with loads of expensive gear but can barely play a note in an "all the gear no idea" sort of way. but ultimately it's their money and their hobby so i don't hold it against them. if their attitude stinks and they think owning expensive gear qualifies them to a certain higher echelon of knowledge/snobbery, then it will rub off terribly on them.
What confuses me is how these people get the thought in their head that they're ready to get on stage when they can't keep time/tune their instrument etc. Anyone can learn and it's not a case of "being shit" but it's like "who's telling you that you're ready for that".
I don't entirely agree that anyone can learn to tune a guitar. I have never been able to tune a guitar by ear, I doubt I ever will. I can tell when it's out of tune, even when it isn't by much.. Anyone can use a tuner though. I suspect some people will never be able to play in time either.
Oh I wasn't trying to come from that angle, I'm not great at tuning by ear but yeah, I at least know when I'm out. If you can't tune up by ear, ensure you do so before you're on stage, with a tuner for example, in relation to my "bands not being ready" comment.
YuriK

Post by YuriK »

bluesngrunge wrote:
George wrote:
my board is a ds2 and a small clone.
My board is a rat2, but im going for a crybaby, boss chorus, rat2, devi ever zero good, devi ever truly beatiful disaster, boss fb-2, strymon big sky. Ive got quite a ways to go
Last edited by YuriK on Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beau In Space wrote:I hear this guy uses a capo.
Josh wrote:THATS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU POUR WINE ON IT INSTEAD OF BEER.
euan wrote:stop trying to put guitar mojo arrows on yuri's dick
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Oh and people who stuck plectrums under their pickguards (JordanD) they shall be judged unworthy...
XY
JordanD

Post by JordanD »

Believe me, the gap on 5-hole Tele guards annoys me, I'm only putting something there so then it's almost like there's a use for it...
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

Post by theshadowofseattle »

bluesngrunge wrote:If black people can say that then I, a gay man, can say the f word.
(that was a joke plz don't think I'm racists)
LOL AT EVERYONE TELLING THIS KID NOT TO OPPRESS HIMSELF
Fakir Mustache wrote:Classic Shad Deluxe.
Nick wrote:Some of Shad's favorite Teles are black.
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

Benecol and George would tell Busta Rhymes not to use the PEANUTBUTTER word.
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

Shad: never finding it not funny to sling that word around. Which is, you know, sort of fucked up.
71Smallbox

Post by 71Smallbox »

theshadowofseattle wrote:Benecol and George would tell Busta Rhymes not to use the PEANUTBUTTER word.
One look at Busta's pedalboard and it would be all over.
jumbledupthinking

Post by jumbledupthinking »

So many sigh-inducing comments in this thread - anyone who thinks slurs on this level are cool seriously needs to check themself, irrespective of their own sexual preferences. Back on topic, I judge anyone who has a ton of pedals & mounts their tuner sideways to "save space", ignoring the fact that it should be the most important pedal to be able to see.
Dave wrote:Image
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

benecol wrote:Shad: never finding it not funny to sling that word around. Which is, you know, sort of fucked up.
Benecol: Accurate other than not remembering anything in the past 5 years.

I just think its a bit impressive to have the audacity tell someone not to use a derogatory term for their own people because it makes you uncomfortable. It's like a new distilled, freebaseable form of white guilt.

WE INVENTED THESE WORDS TO DESCRIBE YOU NEGATIVELY, AND NOW THAT YOUR CULTURE HAS INTERNALIZED THEM AND WE FEEL BAD ABOUT IT, CAN YOU NOT REMIND US OF THEM??? IT'S FOR YOUR OWN SAKE I SWEAR.
George

Post by George »

is ykk221 actually gay?
71Smallbox

Post by 71Smallbox »

theshadowofseattle wrote:I just think its a bit impressive to have the audacity tell someone not to use a derogatory term for their own people because it makes you uncomfortable. It's like a new distilled, freebaseable form of white guilt.
You white-cracker-honkies be getting all crazy up in this thread!
YuriK

Post by YuriK »

George wrote:is ykk221 actually gay?
Yeah, well, bisexual but yeah.
Beau In Space wrote:I hear this guy uses a capo.
Josh wrote:THATS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU POUR WINE ON IT INSTEAD OF BEER.
euan wrote:stop trying to put guitar mojo arrows on yuri's dick
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

71Smallbox wrote:
theshadowofseattle wrote:I just think its a bit impressive to have the audacity tell someone not to use a derogatory term for their own people because it makes you uncomfortable. It's like a new distilled, freebaseable form of white guilt.
You white-cracker-honkies be getting all crazy up in this thread!
DIE CIS SCUM
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

theshadowofseattle wrote:Benecol: Accurate other than not remembering anything in the past 5 years.

I just think its a bit impressive to have the audacity tell someone not to use a derogatory term for their own people because it makes you uncomfortable. It's like a new distilled, freebaseable form of white guilt.

WE INVENTED THESE WORDS TO DESCRIBE YOU NEGATIVELY, AND NOW THAT YOUR CULTURE HAS INTERNALIZED THEM AND WE FEEL BAD ABOUT IT, CAN YOU NOT REMIND US OF THEM??? IT'S FOR YOUR OWN SAKE I SWEAR.
Yep, that's exactly it Shad. It's my discomfort. Not you enjoying the frisson of a bit of casual racism. Oh no.