NGD: 197x Black MapleStang

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

cobascis

NGD: 197x Black MapleStang

Post by cobascis »

The rails pickup in the bridge SLAYS. However the neck pickup sounds very spiky and out of phase. Wondering if the wiring is fucked up. I usually love neck position but it sounds like a tin can. I'll pop it apart tomorrow and see what's up. Any alternate wiring suggestions? And I think I may try to fit a black cover over the rail pup. Original case there, too. It weighs a ton but is super playable right now with 10s. Going to throw 11s and a wound G on it for practice tomorrow so I can properly rawk it.
HNB

Post by HNB »

Sexy color combo!
Johnny Noir

Post by Johnny Noir »

nice!

i had a black mustang bass from 76 that also weight a ton.
BillClay

Post by BillClay »

Fuck dude, maplestang is even better doing the gilmour than sunburst.
speedfish

Post by speedfish »

Congrats! Cool neck. 8)
Disciple of Pain

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"

"Born to Lose. Live to Win." Lemmy Kilmister
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

Even if they hooked up the bridge pickup backwards, it'll be in phase if you use the other neck position. Unless they really messed up the wiring.

Since you only really need one phase switch, the second being redundant, you could try doing something like single coil or parallel wiring on the second bridge position, if it hasn't been done already.

Vintage pickups can often sound spikey, that's why a lot of people use darker sounding fuzzes.
paul_

Re: NGD: 197x Black MapleStang

Post by paul_ »

cobascis wrote:The rails pickup in the bridge SLAYS. However the neck pickup sounds very spiky and out of phase. Wondering if the wiring is fucked up.
If the bridge rail slays there's a good chance the pot value has been upped to 500k, which would make the neck pickup sound more trebley and bitey than stock. The out of phase thing would simply be a matter of swapping two wires on the bridge pickup's wiring, but as Fakir pointed out there's an out-of-phase switching system on Stangs so you should be able to find the regular setting unless something is flat-out wrong or ass-backwards.
Last edited by paul_ on Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
cobascis

Post by cobascis »

So I took it apart -- it's a 1977. Pot values are 250k, neck pickup is wired fine. I'm going to rewire the bridge for coil tapping. It's sort of a bummer that there is such a massive volume difference between the two.

But nevertheless, the neck pickup still has almost no bass response and just sounds bad. Wondering if there is something wrong with the pickup.
cobascis

Re: NGD: 197x Black MapleStang

Post by cobascis »

paul_ wrote:
cobascis wrote:The rails pickup in the bridge SLAYS. However the neck pickup sounds very spiky and out of phase. Wondering if the wiring is fucked up.
If the bridge rail slays there's a good chance the pot value has been upped to 500k, which would make the neck pickup sound more trebley and bitey than stock. The out of phase thing would simply be a matter of swapping two wires on the bridge pickup's wiring.
It slays in a thick, mellow way. Super heavy sounding with distortion. 500k may be a good idea, though.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Well, increasing the pot value could improve the sound of the stock pickup or send it even further in the direction you don't like; hard to say without hearing it.
On the plus side if you like the rail with 250ks, you could get away with sinking it a bit lower after you've increased the pot value to even out the volume level between it and the neck pickup. They may still not sound good in the same guitar in terms of their respective EQ, but it'll be a good start at improving what you don't like about their relationship.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

Post by theshadowofseattle »

That's a lot like the 78 Stang I sold Malik.
Fakir Mustache wrote:Classic Shad Deluxe.
Nick wrote:Some of Shad's favorite Teles are black.
speedfish

Post by speedfish »

cobascis wrote:So I took it apart -- it's a 1977. Pot values are 250k, neck pickup is wired fine. I'm going to rewire the bridge for coil tapping. It's sort of a bummer that there is such a massive volume difference between the two.

But nevertheless, the neck pickup still has almost no bass response and just sounds bad. Wondering if there is something wrong with the pickup.
Have you checked DC resistance? If you have good DC resistance, but it's still weak, then the magnets may have lost their strength and will need to be remagnetized. Without expensive equipment you can check by taking the tip of a screwdriver and see if the neck has a weaker pull than the bridge. If the neck pulls weakly compared to the bridge, then the magnets have lost their strength and you will need to recharge the magnets.
Disciple of Pain

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"

"Born to Lose. Live to Win." Lemmy Kilmister