Shielding a guitar

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

johnnyseven

Shielding a guitar

Post by johnnyseven »

A friend of mine is going to set up and shield my strat for me, but I need to supply the shielding material. I have no idea about shielding material, does it come in different grades/level of quality? If anyone can point me to what to buy for this job I would be most appreciative.
robert(original)

Post by robert(original) »

i used to get the shielding copper from stew mac, but the auto parts store has a conductive tape that will register the same.
johnnyseven

Post by johnnyseven »

Thanks for that. I should have pointed out that i'm in the UK and would prefer a more local supplier for cheaper postage.
h8mtv

Post by h8mtv »

Aluminum tape used for duct work does well.
robert(original)

Post by robert(original) »

^that stuff
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

johnnyseven wrote:Thanks for that. I should have pointed out that i'm in the UK and would prefer a more local supplier for cheaper postage.
Get your self to B & Q and get the aluminium tape...
XY
Doug

Post by Doug »

My Les Paul Special with P90s has the Stew Mac copper shielding and it's quiet as can be. I heard copper foil's the best but I don't really know how much better it is than aluminum tape, which I understand works well, too. Do you have a local Luthier with a solid reputation you could ask?

Let us know what you find out.

Cheers,
Doug
johnnyseven

Post by johnnyseven »

I do know a guy actually. He works at the studio we rehearse in, if he's there on Thursday i'll see what he recommends.
Johno

Post by Johno »

I use shielding paint in guitars it easier, 2 coats to be sure & it takes minutes.
Dave
TOTALLY MODD

Post by Dave »

Ebay is a good source of cheaper copper foil - both conductive sticky-back and the the type you need to use spray glue to put in (and solder the joins).

The real shielding comes with creating a proper grounded Faraday cage, though suposedl;y just putting some sheets over the electrics will help too.

THE site for this info is here:

http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/shielding/shield3.php

http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/shielding/tele.php

Be aware that a FULL shielding may well effect some top end (so the experts say - I've done this kind of shielding however not to a guitar that was already working to compare with...)
iCEByTes wrote:5 Most Jizz face maker Solo�s , classic Rock music i ever listened.
iCEByTes wrote:Blunt a joint , Take the Touch , Listen this.
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

Just want to post this Rockinger page because they have a cool little drawing to represent shielding: Rockinger

But if you're in the UK, check this thread, I think most or all of the UK shops in the link have shielding: recommended parts suppliers
speedfish

Post by speedfish »

I use Stewmacs paint on the wood inside the cavity and metal duct tape on the back of the pickguard. It keeps it quiet, but you do seem to lose some of the sparkle.

This is probably the same as Stewmac's shielding paint:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Conductive-Sh ... 483e56ca35
Disciple of Pain

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"

"Born to Lose. Live to Win." Lemmy Kilmister
Mikgolden

Post by Mikgolden »

I have used aluminum tape before, but prefer the copper simply because its easier to get a good solder connection on. I line the back of the pickguard, line the pickup and control cavities, make sure all pieces are soldered along their entire edge, and any jumpers and hardware grounds are all in the same spot. I was on a job site where we installed a bunch of high voltage electrical wire for some 1000+hp compressor motors, so I snagged all the copper shielding I could out of the scraps that came off the ends when I terminated the wires. The edges are razor sharp, but its pretty darn effective in guitars. Combine that with shielded wire and zero ground loops, you've got a really quiet single-coil guitar.