Does anybody else think Kurt Cobain worship is annoying?

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

Does the shortscale fandom go too far with the Kurt Cobain worship?

Yes, it's similar to Dimebag Darell worship
35%
Yes, but it's not that bad
8%
No, but there are a few people who are too obsessed
57%

Total votes: 37
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Thank you
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
Brandon W

Post by Brandon W »

71Smallbox wrote:
HenryS wrote:
71Smallbox wrote:Henry, don't be the guy that passes out at parties, people tend to draw facial hair on you with sharpies when that happens.
Ah-ha! but I drew the mustache on my own face!
Then there is no hope for you son!
Thread winner! hahahaha! HAHA !!! HAHA!!

Here is my opinion. I believe it's ok to take pieces of your influences and roll them together into your own creative combination. That is what Kurt did anyways. He mixed the Beatles in with every other kind of music and kept that pop feel that pleases the ear but he did it totally different. I often play blues with a jaguar. That would be kind of mixing my influences. If we have to play a I IV V all day then i think of how Kurt would have done it and i'll play it really distorted and sloppy for a while. Next song i may think of how Marc Bolan would have done it or whatever in trying to keep the music fresh and also to keep myself interested. There is nothing wrong with using traits of music you like in your own compositions. The line gets blurred when copy a song that isn't yours and it's an obvious ripoff. I have a big problem with that. It's uncreative and insulting. Kurt did wonders for music and the instrument and he inspired people. I am one of them. Half this board is people he inspired. That is a big fucking deal. When you inspire people then you've done something. He did it accidentally but he still did and we're still talking about him..to exhaustion.

When i say sloppy i don't mean it in a total negative way. I think most understand that Kurt was probably a better guitar player than he led on by not sweating the small things and staying fluid even if it sounds sorta lazy. I can't word this shit right..
cur wrote:I need it to be smaller or I get shitty messages from mezz telling me my junk's too big.
Chico Malo wrote:This thread just went down the toilet. Bye
iCEByTes wrote:Carrot´s and pussy party ((run))
mkt3000

Post by mkt3000 »

othomas2 wrote:Image
Please tell me that there's still a thread somewhere about this that I can laugh at
10 PRINT "Bite Me!"
20 GOTO 10
HNB

Post by HNB »

This thread pointed out something that does annoy me in regards to Kurt. It does annoy me when people mock his death/suicide.

There are pleanty of people who make music that I don't care for. There are plenty of bands that have fame that I don't understand or enjoy.

Regardless of my dislike of a person or their music, I would never mock or joke about their death.

That is my personal opinion, and like I said earlier, as long as it doesn't get pushed on me or expected of me, people can do whatever they want. I personally just don't care for mocking of someone's death. Most people who die have friends and family who are hurt by the loss of someone close to them. Mocking the death to me is insulting to the pain that people have with the loss of the person. Even sick-o's have family and sometimes friends who they leave behind.
Brandon W

Post by Brandon W »

I take issue to the same exact thing and that was the big blowout on js.com back in the day with me. I didn't like the celebration of someone's death especially someone who, as i said earlier, inspired me. It's kinda a downer. It doesn't happen often here and i've gotten used to it.

WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT GUITAR?

Where to even start with what's wrong with that...Is the pickup routed into the bridge? That is fucking horrible...
cur wrote:I need it to be smaller or I get shitty messages from mezz telling me my junk's too big.
Brandon W

Post by Brandon W »

Is that an Ibanez neck? OMG! It looks like a fake picture. No one could possibly...that leaves me speechless. I'll never be the same. THE HORROR!
MrJamesBrown

Post by MrJamesBrown »

Punkacc9 wrote:They were equivalent to the Beatles in their generation. It was a complete new sound that everyone wanted and it blew up like beatlemania but nirvanamania. If you think about it, nirvana was the last band to do this. There's due to be a new one soon.
I think we've been having many, but all on a smaler scale. MCR/'Emo'. Dubstep. This new wave of NME/radio 1 indie ala Arctic Monkeys and Kins of Leon. But with the internet now there's never going to be THAT band because there's so much stuff happening all the time that nothing can really gain momentum before it's displaced by something else.
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

MrJamesBrown wrote:
Punkacc9 wrote:They were equivalent to the Beatles in their generation. It was a complete new sound that everyone wanted and it blew up like beatlemania but nirvanamania. If you think about it, nirvana was the last band to do this. There's due to be a new one soon.
I think we've been having many, but all on a smaler scale. MCR/'Emo'. Dubstep. This new wave of NME/radio 1 indie ala Arctic Monkeys and Kins of Leon. But with the internet now there's never going to be THAT band because there's so much stuff happening all the time that nothing can really gain momentum before it's displaced by something else.

I don't know. I'm gonna have to agree to disagree. The arctic monkeys and kings of Leon aren't talked about by everyone and not known by everyone. Neither are the band of this time. When the Beatles and nirvana were around they were KNOWN. Dubstep and emo are genres but there isn't anyone leading them. And many don't even know of them. There's not a band currently that has completely revolutionized a new genre that everyone is jumping on. There are too many different genres and a giant indie scene. Which isn't a bad thing at all. I would have to argue music is more spread out than it has ever been today. There no unique sound of today like there has been in the past. But I do believe there is a band coming that will start a new revolution.
Congratulations! Your Punkacc9 evolved into Awstin.
chemistforhire

Post by chemistforhire »

Punkacc9 wrote:
MrJamesBrown wrote:

I don't know. I'm gonna have to agree to disagree. The arctic monkeys and kings of Leon aren't talked about by everyone and not known by everyone. Neither are the band of this time. When the Beatles and nirvana were around they were KNOWN. Dubstep and emo are genres but there isn't anyone leading them. And many don't even know of them. There's not a band currently that has completely revolutionized a new genre that everyone is jumping on. There are too many different genres and a giant indie scene. Which isn't a bad thing at all. I would have to argue music is more spread out than it has ever been today. There no unique sound of today like there has been in the past. But I do believe there is a band coming that will start a new revolution.
This happens all the time but is only recognized by the people who "came of age" during their run. The 60's have the beatles and dylan, the 70's Zepplin, the 80's Michael Jackson, the 90's Nirvana and the 2000's was basically boy bands. I think the beatles are the only exception where each subsequent generation thinks they are the bees knees just as much as the generation before them.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

If the band is well known all over the world, it means that it reached commercial succes. Any band can reach worldwide succes only with a support of major label. Non of the major labels will invest its money(five,six, seven or even eight zeroes after $1) in something revolutionary, something that can't be predicted. It means that the band will play according the rules of the label, will use schemes and style that already worked out with U2(Coldplay, Nirvana, Metallica, GunsnRoses, Oasis, White Stripes, Strokes etc.) and instead of the new distinctive sound we'll get a piece of corporate shit. For me it's such a rule - if song plays everywhere on the radio and tv, if everybody knows it, it doesn't have any aesthetic value. That's why I have big doubts about the worldwide revolution in the industry. I like the bands that play in clubs, but with ease can assemble a big crowd for the festivals.
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

sunshiner wrote:Sorry if some phrases from me sound odd)) I'm not a native speaker and it is a little bit complicated to translate my thoughts to English correct.
Your English is very good. I also think you're the first shortscaler from Kazakhstan. ((thumup)
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

My assessment is that over 50% of this board and probably over 50% of guitar players under 40 picked up the guitar after first hearing Nirvana. I know I did as well. Inspiring so many young people to enjoy music and pursue playing music may be an even greater accomplishment than having a few extremely successful records.
jagsonic

Post by jagsonic »

count me out, i've already played guitar when i first heared nirvana 8)
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

jagsonic wrote:count me out, i've already played guitar when i first heared nirvana 8)
+1

In fact, I don't think any of my guitar playing friends started because of Nirvana.
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

BearBoy wrote:
jagsonic wrote:count me out, i've already played guitar when i first heared nirvana 8)
+1

In fact, I don't think any of my guitar playing friends started because of Nirvana.
Fucking 1%-ers haha :wink: Eh. What's it matter? Just play guitar and everyone shut up. This thread is stupid.
Congratulations! Your Punkacc9 evolved into Awstin.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

singlepickup24 wrote: Your English is very good.
Thanks, from time to time I can do it well))
singlepickup24 wrote: I also think you're the first shortscaler from Kazakhstan. ((thumup)

Yep, the first one who doesn't have his own shortscale guitar :D
iCEByTes

Post by iCEByTes »

slowly you can build one :wink:
Precise dwarf bravery
luciguci

Post by luciguci »

sunshiner wrote:
singlepickup24 wrote: I also think you're the first shortscaler from Kazakhstan. ((thumup)

Yep, the first one who doesn't have his own shortscale guitar :D
Nah, I didn't have a single shortscale guitar for a long time, until a couple months ago. I had a Cyclone, but I don't really count that. I'm willing to bet some others don't have a shortscale (for the time being).
Doog wrote:Tone is stored in the balls
theshadowofseattle wrote:That's why there's two: one for pee, one for tone.
🏳️‍⚧️🏳️‍🌈 (she/they)
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

iCEByTes wrote:slowly you can build one :wink:
With my woodworking skills it will turn out a baritone instead of the shortscale :wink:
daftsupernova wrote: Nah, I didn't have a single shortscale guitar for a long time, until a couple months ago. I had a Cyclone, but I don't really count that. I'm willing to bet some others don't have a shortscale (for the time being).
So, being a shortscaler is more a mental condition than a physical :)
NickD

Post by NickD »

singlepickup24 wrote:My assessment is that over 50% of this board and probably over 50% of guitar players under 40 picked up the guitar after first hearing Nirvana. I know I did as well. Inspiring so many young people to enjoy music and pursue playing music may be an even greater accomplishment than having a few extremely successful records.
I'm still under 40, and it wasn't Nirvana that made me pick up the guitar, they hadn't released a record at that point.. Probably Guns n'Roses TBH.

Nirvana were a big band - and I was a massive fan - but they weren't Beatles big. They weren't that mainstream in the UK, I know plenty of people who know who they are but have never listened to them beyond SLTS being played on the radio.