My Vox Tony Bruno combo, so smooth right now.

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

honeyiscool

My Vox Tony Bruno combo, so smooth right now.

Post by honeyiscool »

[youtube][/youtube]

At $699, this should be a Hot Rod Deluxe killer. Instead, most people don't know these amps even exist. I think it's the best low watt Vox amp by far. Having tried every single AC15 model Vox offers (HW, C1, VR) as well as the Pathfinder and Night Train, this is it for me. Plywood and a very manageable 40 pounds (less since I switched out the G12-65), American voicing but still has a little bit of a Vox jangle to go with it. The only fault is digital reverb but it's a very good one, I prefer it to a crappy spring reverb.

But yeah, it's a weird amp in some ways because it's an American-voiced 6V6 amp made by Vox. It has a feature I really like, the mid boost. It thickens things up just little bit, it takes your average Strat/Mustang/Jaguar/Jazz to more of a P90 range, and your P90 to a humbucker-like range. It's great for getting good feedback.

Having had it for a while, it's been great enough that my amp collection has been largely made redundant and I ended up selling most of my extra amps. It works great in rehearsal, live, mics well, is light enough to just grab and go for just about any situation, 18 watts is plenty loud for most needs. There's just a very high-quality smoothness to this amp that you just don't find in pedals or amps every day. Love it.

The only thing, though, is that this amp will probably be discontinued sooner than later, considering Vox has been taking everything that's not an AC out of their lineup and most people won't consider a Vox that's not an AC. So if this video interests you, you should probably get one soon. I grabbed one for like $450 since it was a customer return. I liked it so much, I got a second one, and that's the one in the video. I have a Celestion Alnico Blue in it.
Kicking and squealing Gucci little piggy.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

It seems to be a nice amp, I've seen several of your videos on youtube and I like your playing.
Just curiuos, why did you sell all you Voxes and other amps?
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
honeyiscool

Post by honeyiscool »

I sold them because I didn't really need them once I found the TB18C1. I buy gear because I'm trying to find something I want, and I found it!
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Yeah, I see. We're just trying to find a gear that suits us perfect.
Today I tried Fender Mustang III amp in the shop and was impressed. It's not a tube amp, but I like clean sounds of Princeton and Deluxe Reverb(I've never played original models) and an opportunity to use a bunch of onboard effects. This amp can be loud or vice versa very quiet , for me it is an advantage. I have Laney Cub 10 and in a flat it is a problem to play it with the volume at 5 or at 6, and with the gain at 4 or at 5. The only disadvantage of Mustang III... it costs here about $500, that is of course a nonsense.
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

Everything is a HRD killer, i hate those amps.
Freethenoise

Post by Freethenoise »

Literally just ordered one from the Andertons sale about an hour ago before logging onto Shortscale.

.... It's made to be.
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

Sloan wrote:Everything is a HRD killer, i hate those amps.
I'd always wanted a 1x12 tweed Fender combo. So I ended up buying a Classic 30. Always felt a slight inferiority complex when I saw Fender Hot Rods, but when I finally played one I was all LOL WHAT THIS IS FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUU
Brandon W wrote:you elites.
johnnyseven

Post by johnnyseven »

Chnage the speaker in a HRD and it makes it loads better, OD channel still sounds crap though.
honeyiscool

Post by honeyiscool »

Freethenoise wrote:Literally just ordered one from the Andertons sale about an hour ago before logging onto Shortscale.

.... It's made to be.
I hope you like yours. I would love to hear your input on it. :)

johnnyseven wrote:Chnage the speaker in a HRD and it makes it loads better, OD channel still sounds crap though.
A friend of mine has a HRD with I think an Eminence Legend or something with it, it's a good performer, as long as you leave it in one channel, but I hate channel changers anyway. But yeah, I'd take a Peavey Classic over an HRD any day. I've never had a classic, though, only a Delta Blues 210, which is a hell of an amp w/ reverb and tremolo, but I like the Vox TB better because it has a very good master volume whereas the DB has a "Post" Volume that isn't a Master, really. So at low volumes I feel like it's a bit noisier and more muted than at higher volumes. The TB sounds good throughout its volume range.
Freethenoise

Post by Freethenoise »

honeyiscool wrote:I hope you like yours. I would love to hear your input on it. :)
I'd love to make a video after these batch of assignments are over. Architecture can be such a pain!

But yeah, I mainly picked it up because they're less than half price over at Andertons..

.... Did you guys get my PSA?
Seriously, get on that shit.
LizardKing

Post by LizardKing »

Smooooth!
Dave
TOTALLY MODD

Post by Dave »

These are £399 brand new over here - not bad really. I'm thinking of selling my blackstar and orange cab and trying to get something a bit better with nice cleans, but also make teh noize too (with pedals or whatever). Will deffo check these out based on your write up.
iCEByTes wrote:5 Most Jizz face maker Solo�s , classic Rock music i ever listened.
iCEByTes wrote:Blunt a joint , Take the Touch , Listen this.
Ro S

Post by Ro S »

I've just bought the 18 watt one. :)