new jaguar(s)

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

robert(original)

new jaguar(s)

Post by robert(original) »

so apparently while i was locked up fender and squier decided to get b'dass and release a load of fucking crazy awsome guitars. i noticed a few folks on here have or had the squier jaguar. but, honestly are they any good? and has anyone tried out the 50th anniversary jaguar with blocks? and what about the beast with an f-hole and binding? i don't have any guitars or anything anymore, and i don't have any cash to even think about getting anything but i'd like to get some shortscale feedback.
it all seems too good to be true.
weeping_moon

Re: new jaguar(s)

Post by weeping_moon »

Its true. Sqiuer and Fender have top guitars at the moment!!!
mkt3000

Post by mkt3000 »

Squier Jaguar is badass.
10 PRINT "Bite Me!"
20 GOTO 10
DasBeef

Post by DasBeef »

Not tried the 50th anniversary, but note the position of the trem. Do not liek.
HNB

Post by HNB »

DasBeef wrote:Not tried the 50th anniversary, but note the position of the trem. Do not liek.
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

mkt3000 wrote:Squier Jaguar is badass.
Supergreatguitarforcheap

I like the way it feels and sounds more than I liked the way my AVRI did.
robert(original)

Post by robert(original) »

i don't think i'll ever find a guitar that i liked more than my avri(wish i wouldn't have sold it) and i haven't messed with a jag or jazz with the moved up trem business, the one thing im worried about is the 9.5 radius, i love te 7 1/4 radii feel. altho i am a heavey trem user and i suppose the arm may be hitting the bridge more frequently if its moved up. i also saw the pawn shop offset thing with jazzy pups and trem, very... attractive in the "fat girl" kinda way
NickS

Post by NickS »

I got one of these Chinese Fender Marauders for Christmas:
www.shortscale.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=50092
and some people think it's naff but I quite like it.
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

I'm just weird in the sense that I never got along too well with my AVRI Jag. I don't seem to mind the flatter board of the Squier (tho I played a LP as my main guitar for years). I think the bottom line is that if you can accept the Squier design, you'll find it's one of the best guitars ever sold at that price point.

I just recently started going crazy with the trem. Have been thinking seriously about a Mascis Jazzy but I don't like the idea of the arm knocking the bridge all the time. Food for thought.
finboy

Post by finboy »

The squier jag is awesome, I changed a lot on mine for aesthetic reasons, but kept the electronics stock because I liked the sound...

Avri trem, guard, covers, etc. all fit without mods, the Neck is not original though
The Dead Ranch Hands

Re: new jaguar(s)

Post by The Dead Ranch Hands »

robert(original) wrote:so apparently while i was locked up fender and squier decided to get b'dass and release a load of fucking crazy awsome guitars. i noticed a few folks on here have or had the squier jaguar. but, honestly are they any good? and has anyone tried out the 50th anniversary jaguar with blocks? and what about the beast with an f-hole and binding? i don't have any guitars or anything anymore, and i don't have any cash to even think about getting anything but i'd like to get some shortscale feedback.
it all seems too good to be true.
The Squire Jags are top notch. Especially the neck, the fretwork is perfect and it's nice and chunky.
so1om

Post by so1om »

Squier Jaguar straight out of the box, beautiful. it seems some early guitars had some finish flaws, loose scews etc. Most of us seem to think it was the initial run of guitars. Some of us have perfect guitars...

aside from all that.. great stuff!
Ankhanu

Post by Ankhanu »

robert(original) wrote:i don't think i'll ever find a guitar that i liked more than my avri(wish i wouldn't have sold it) and i haven't messed with a jag or jazz with the moved up trem business, the one thing im worried about is the 9.5 radius, i love te 7 1/4 radii feel. altho i am a heavey trem user and i suppose the arm may be hitting the bridge more frequently if its moved up. i also saw the pawn shop offset thing with jazzy pups and trem, very... attractive in the "fat girl" kinda way
Something to note is that those aren't Jazzy pickups, they're jazzy shaped humbuckers.
ekwatts wrote:That's American cinema, that is. Fucking sparkles.
Donate to Ankhanu Press
Dokterrock

Post by Dokterrock »

singlepickup24 wrote:Have been thinking seriously about a Mascis Jazzy but I don't like the idea of the arm knocking the bridge all the time. Food for thought.
What do you mean? I don't have any problems with the bridge or arm in my SQJMJM. Arm fits nice and snug and doesn't move unless I make it move intentionally.
astro

Post by astro »

finboy wrote:The squier jag is awesome, I changed a lot on mine for aesthetic reasons, but kept the electronics stock because I liked the sound...
► Show Spoiler
Avri trem, guard, covers, etc. all fit without mods, the Neck is not original though
Holy shit that looks nice with a maple neck!

The squier jag HH I got is wonderful, the only changes I made were cosmetic. Stock pickups are great, they're keepers. The stock electronics are all quality parts, even the switch is a proper one, not those cheap "box" type switches that crap out after six months of regular use. The fret work is perfect. Only issue is that the nut is a hair too high, but it's still very much a playable guitar and I may never even bother to get it fixed since it doesn't seem to really impact my playing. Even the trapezoid bridge that a lot of people have shat on is actually very solid and extremely adjustable. Overall it feels pretty damn close to a Japanese fender in quality. Unbelievable for the money. If these had come out a few years ago, I never would have bought my Japanese mustang bass and guitar, I would have bought the Squier ones instead and saved hundreds.
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

Dokterrock wrote:
singlepickup24 wrote:Have been thinking seriously about a Mascis Jazzy but I don't like the idea of the arm knocking the bridge all the time. Food for thought.
What do you mean? I don't have any problems with the bridge or arm in my SQJMJM. Arm fits nice and snug and doesn't move unless I make it move intentionally.
Sweet. I have not tried a JMJM ... was hypothesized that this might be an issue due to trem placement. Now I my only concern is if the JMJM neck is too chunky for me.