shortscale photography thread.

Plug your music, photography, graphics, shows of any kind or other creative works.

Moderated By: mods

DanHeron

Post by DanHeron »

Drove up to North Manchester this afternoon. A few nice parks up there and stuff, in this weather it's pretty nice.
The Broughton Park area in north Manchester has a big orthodox jewish community. For every non-jewish person you see, you will see about 50 orthodox jewish people.
Even in todays heat (its fucking boiling) the majority were in the full black suits, hats etc. I want to take some street photos in the area but feel a bit like a dick. I'm just interested in different ways of life and stuff... But even in the city center it can be hard to blend in to the crowd with a camera. In Broughton Park I stick out like a sore thumb lol.

DanHeron

Post by DanHeron »

Over the last couple of the days I've noticed that when the sun is setting it creates these sharp bright lines across the landing at the top of my house.
Hard to capture but it looks really cool in real life...

Anyone had any thoughts about this photography project thing? How about we have a list of 10 words, then we submit a set of 10 photos - 1 in reply to each word. It could be less/more.

I had a similar thing at University where I had to take 6 photos in response to 6 words for a project. There were some nice results, especially considering it was for a graphics design class, not photography.
These were my responses: http://www.flickr.com/photos/danheron/sets/72157627624359216/
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

I'm in love with polaroids, and instant photography.

American Church in London by gusman2x, on Flickr

Space Invader 2 by gusman2x, on Flickr

Brick Lane Graffiti by gusman2x, on Flickr

Celestial Saturday by gusman2x, on Flickr

Kracked by gusman2x, on Flickr
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

Like those Dan particularly the one where the sun is beaming through the door the colours are just the sort I am liking at the moment in pictures.

Right I am going to sort this project dealy out

I am going to take a sentence out of a book at random and we each have a month to interpret it as we see fit sound OK?

HERE IT IS:

''The man keeps staring at me and all I can think is he either doesn't see me or I'm not here.''

Everyone happy with that? If we need anything clarifying just ask in here.
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

Love the look of those digging the washed out tones. Really like the grave yard one.
DanHeron

Post by DanHeron »

wow those Polaroids are really nice. I still have a couple of packs of Polaroid film left, but the last lot i tried sucked... Might give them a go sometime soon.

That sounds good Hurb... I'm gonna start thinking about it.
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

DanHeron wrote:wow those Polaroids are really nice. I still have a couple of packs of Polaroid film left, but the last lot i tried sucked... Might give them a go sometime soon.

Yeah, these aren't polaroids though. The film's made by a company call the impossible project. Most expired polaroid films now look pretty yellow and faded. This film is very different, but it is also very experimental.
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

Post by hotrodperlmutter »

DanHeron wrote:Anyone had any thoughts about this photography project thing? How about we have a list of 10 words, then we submit a set of 10 photos - 1 in reply to each word.
challenge accepted. make a thread?

rules on filters/effects/size/liberty? b/w or color?
DanHeron

Post by DanHeron »

gusman2x wrote:
DanHeron wrote:wow those Polaroids are really nice. I still have a couple of packs of Polaroid film left, but the last lot i tried sucked... Might give them a go sometime soon.

Yeah, these aren't polaroids though. The film's made by a company call the impossible project. Most expired polaroid films now look pretty yellow and faded. This film is very different, but it is also very experimental.
Yeah I expected they were. The films i have left are Impossible Project ones too. One of the first colour editions. My results have been a bit shit...
DanHeron

Post by DanHeron »

hotrodperlmutter wrote:
DanHeron wrote:Anyone had any thoughts about this photography project thing? How about we have a list of 10 words, then we submit a set of 10 photos - 1 in reply to each word.
challenge accepted. make a thread?

rules on filters/effects/size/liberty? b/w or color?
Hurb has come up with this:

Right I am going to sort this project dealy out

I am going to take a sentence out of a book at random and we each have a month to interpret it as we see fit sound OK?

HERE IT IS:

''The man keeps staring at me and all I can think is he either doesn't see me or I'm not here.''

Everyone happy with that? If we need anything clarifying just ask in here.

-------------

So, just take a photo/photos in response to that sentence. Any format.. digital/film dslr/phone whatever. Filters and post processing are ok, but no Photoshopping in the sense of adding things into the photo that wasn't there.
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

DanHeron wrote:
Yeah I expected they were. The films i have left are Impossible Project ones too. One of the first colour editions. My results have been a bit shit...
To be fair, the TIP films are much much better these days. You still need to be a bit careful to not expose the film to direct sunlight updon developing, but I notive a difference (and an improvement) with each batch produced.
DanHeron

Post by DanHeron »

These are my colour ones:
► Show Spoiler
I guess they're Ok... I was just expecting more colour and detail than what i got.
Might give them a go again later.
Dillon

Post by Dillon »

I like that sentence for a theme. Already have some ideas!

I'm only about 15 shots into my first roll of film in the AE-1. I keep wanting to go take some pictures on my lunch break, but it's hard to get inspired working in such a boring suburban area. If it weren't ISO 200 film I'd take it to a guitar store or something. At least I know that my new Canon flashes (550EX II) will work on it in manual mode, but it sure is hard to guess what power to use for a given situation. TTL flash metering spoils me. Guess that'll come with more experience :)

I'm also thinking about selling / trading my XZ-1 for a a micro 4/3rds camera. You know, those mirrorless cameras with interchangeable lenses. Anyone used them before? Thoughts / recommendations?
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

Dan, those frames look good. Did you shield the film from light as it ejected? The washed out appearance seems to come when the film gets more exposure after ejecting. TIP film has come a long way in recent months, Just so damned expensive.

We inherited all my wife's dad's vintage camera equipment. There's slrs, medium formats, and even a big old large format with the carpet and everything. I'm going to try and get into it, but I think it'll be a bit of a learning curve. And expensive no doubt, most bloody things are.
DanHeron

Post by DanHeron »

Arghhh so pissed off. Got a call from Calumet who are repairing my Olympus OM2n. They have had it for like.. 4months now? Supposed to take 2-3weeks. Anyway, they apologised for the time etc.. then told me they couldn't even fix it anyway! They replaced the light seals, did some other little repair, but then found they circuit board had a fault and they can't get those parts replaced anymore. Great. Why not just look at that first? They better not charge me for the changing the seals and stuff. If they couldn't do a full repair they should have just done nothing. There's no point putting new light seals on a camera that doesn't work!!
DanHeron

Post by DanHeron »

Dillon wrote:I'm also thinking about selling / trading my XZ-1 for a a micro 4/3rds camera. You know, those mirrorless cameras with interchangeable lenses. Anyone used them before? Thoughts / recommendations?
I haven't used a micro 4/3rds camera but know people who have them. They are REALLY popular at the moment. A good mix of a small/portable size camera but with the option of interchangable lenses.

The Olympus PEN models seem good to me or the Panasonic Lumix G series. The 4/3rds sensors are still quite small though, in comparison to APS-C or Full frame of a DSLR, so you won't get quite as much Depth of field or quite as good low light performance. But then again you can get an Olympus EPL-1 with lens for £219 new. Pretty damn good.

I've just been messing around with some of my polaroid frames in photoshop... I think they look quite good in B&W with the contrast pushed up. Look like genuine old photographs (except for the cars.. and modern portable record player)...
► Show Spoiler
DanHeron

Post by DanHeron »

Went out for a bit of a drive today, out into the countryside. Never seen so much bunting and sheep in my life.
► Show Spoiler
I also decided to try a few HDR landscape photos. I don't really like HDR images but it was fun trying it out, and actually I think the first one looks quite cool:
► Show Spoiler
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

dan, that first HDR shot is magnificent. where the fuck do you live
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

- removed for copyright infringement. -

- Mezz.
Last edited by hotrodperlmutter on Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

just some other random shots:
► Show Spoiler