Proposed NGD Warz - Which one wins?

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

Which one if it was you

CIJ LPB Jag with matching h/s
30%
MIJ '65 ri Mustang in O/W
9%
Kurdz Mustang
21%
AVRI JM
40%

Total votes: 53
gusman2x

Proposed NGD Warz - Which one wins?

Post by gusman2x »

It boils down the the following

CIJ Matching headstock Jag (LPB) - Can't pay before I buy, and don't know how thick the neck is

MIJ '65 Mustang - Brand new from a shop. Probably in O/W. Played one and really liked it

MIJ KC Mustang- PLayed a LPB one and REALY liked it, but worried about resale (not planned, but you never know), but more worried about the KC connection, I'm not even a fan really

AVRI JM - Would have to wait for one to turn up, and the most expensive of the bunch, but I have an AVRI strat, and it's a beauty

All started with Mustang gas, but it's blossomed recently

P.S. decided to poll this
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

Voted for Jazzmaster, since I hankered after one for years, even when I had my Jag.
Thom
lamp

Re: Proposed NGD Warz - Which one wins?

Post by Thom »

gusman2x wrote:MIJ KC Mustang- PLayed a LPB one and REALY liked it
I REALLY liked the KC mustang too. Stock it sounded better than my CIJ Jag. But with upgraded pups and electronics the Jag is now awesome. Anyway I voted the KC Mustang as I wouldn't change a thing about it if I got one.
mixtape

Post by mixtape »

I'd say either of the Mustangs, for the played-and-liked factor. I wouldn't worry about not being a Cobain fan if you go with the KC Mustang: if you can get a sound you like out of it, where's the problem?
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

I don't really get the point of the poll. are we supposed to vote for our favorite? it's hard for us to vote for a guitar for you because we know nothing about your needs or preferences.
cogito ergo sum...thing or other...
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

Assuming his needs and preferences are the same as mine, another vote for JM, esp with a bridge pup swap
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

oh I see, it says, "which one if it was you". well, definitely an AVRI jazzmaster then.
speedfish

Re: Proposed NGD Warz - Which one wins?

Post by speedfish »

gusman2x wrote:It boils down the the following

CIJ Matching headstock Jag (LPB) - Can't pay before I buy, and don't know how thick the neck is

MIJ '65 Mustang - Brand new from a shop. Probably in O/W. Played one and really liked it

MIJ KC Mustang- PLayed a LPB one and REALY liked it, but worried about resale (not planned, but you never know), but more worried about the KC connection, I'm not even a fan really

AVRI JM - Would have to wait for one to turn up, and the most expensive of the bunch, but I have an AVRI strat, and it's a beauty

All started with Mustang gas, but it's blossomed recently

P.S. decided to poll this

I voted for a AVRI JM, but may I recommend that you take a look at the Jay Mascis JM. I have one and it's simply amazing and dirt cheap.
Disciple of Pain

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"

"Born to Lose. Live to Win." Lemmy Kilmister
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

I would say it's between the KC Mustang or the AVRI Jazzmaster.

The KC Mustang is a limited guitar and AVRI Jazzmasters are always available though I would love a Jazzmaster (if I wasn't already building one).

Can't really go wrong either way, but I would go with teh Kurtz in LPB.
J Mascis Jazzmaster | AVRI Jaguar | Tuxedo-stang |Fender Toronado GT |
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
weeping_moon

Post by weeping_moon »

i really like my cobain mustang. you dont have to be a fan of cobain or nirvana. its a good guitar and thats it.
the jb humbucker is really nice. you can go from metal to really clean sounds. and this is the only alder mustang.

what kind of wood are the jazzmaster made of?
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

AVRI Jazzmasters are made of Alder.
J Mascis Jazzmaster | AVRI Jaguar | Tuxedo-stang |Fender Toronado GT |
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
murdok

Post by murdok »

All great guitars, all in plentiful supply. I would focus on Japanese made guitars. Personally I would go for the Cobain signature over all of them.

considering anything US made as part of these selections is sort of moot. If you are thinking AVRI, thats a whole other discussion with lots of different options.
murdok

Post by murdok »

also what you should consider re worrying about TEH KURTDZ connection, nobody under 25 will know who KURT is or care, anyone over 25 will say, wow cool guitar man.

The amount of awesomeness fender did by doing these KURDTZ mustangs is off tap. I wish they had done it sooner.
Johnny Noir

Post by Johnny Noir »

murdok wrote:also what you should consider re worrying about TEH KURTDZ connection, nobody under 25 will know who KURT is or care, anyone over 25 will say, wow cool guitar man.

The amount of awesomeness fender did by doing these KURDTZ mustangs is off tap. I wish they had done it sooner.

i'm 30 years old, i learnt guitar during the nirvanamania.... but nowdays, the young hipsters like Kurt and the 90's.
Crazy, i'm cool again, or has been... :wink:
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

AVRI jazzy tipping the scales at the moment, but the kc mustang is hot on it's tail.

I have a Squier jmjm, and that's what's turned me onto my recent offset/shortscale kick. I love the jmjm, but the neck is a shade too thick for me, and after a month of playing it, I've developed some pain in my thumb joint. The idea of the AVRI is that the neck would be skinnier, but that doesn't solve the mustang want.

I'm on fish oil now, so hopefully that'll sort my old bones. Looking like the mustang, and If I continue to struggle with the jmjm, then I'll get a new neck
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

Johnny Noir wrote:
murdok wrote:also what you should consider re worrying about TEH KURTDZ connection, nobody under 25 will know who KURT is or care, anyone over 25 will say, wow cool guitar man.
i'm 30 years old, i learnt guitar during the nirvanamania.... but nowdays, the young hipsters like Kurt and the 90's.
uh yeah, if you were 18 in 1992 you would be almost 40 today. not to mention, they were a hugely popular band that everyone has heard of.
speedfish

Post by speedfish »

gusman2x wrote:AVRI jazzy tipping the scales at the moment, but the kc mustang is hot on it's tail.

I have a Squier jmjm, and that's what's turned me onto my recent offset/shortscale kick. I love the jmjm, but the neck is a shade too thick for me, and after a month of playing it, I've developed some pain in my thumb joint. The idea of the AVRI is that the neck would be skinnier, but that doesn't solve the mustang want.

I'm on fish oil now, so hopefully that'll sort my old bones. Looking like the mustang, and If I continue to struggle with the jmjm, then I'll get a new neck
I'm sorry to hear that you're having problems with the Squier jm jm. What about waiting until June for the Squier Mustang,Jazzmaster, or Jaguar?
Disciple of Pain

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"

"Born to Lose. Live to Win." Lemmy Kilmister
moore65

Post by moore65 »

I voted for the KC Mustang. I really want one because it's one of the few guitars that I would not mod the second I bought it. It might be cheaper to get a used Mustang and put the Seymour humbucker in it but I'd feel so bad cutting the insides up.
Bronco Bass
Squier Strat w/Hot Rails,
flea market nylon classical,
Ibanez bass w/Quarter Pounder X 2
Union Jack DC Epiphone LP
Johnny Noir

Post by Johnny Noir »

Mages wrote:
Johnny Noir wrote:
uh yeah, if you were 18 in 1992 you would be almost 40 today. not to mention, they were a hugely popular band that everyone has heard of.
i started love nirvana at 11 and learn guitar at 12 after he died. start young.... i'm speaking about the 18 25 years old people now days. :)
bradzeera

Post by bradzeera »

Go with the KC Mustang, they are fantasic guitars. I actually traded a '65 RI for mine. It really depends on what kind of sound you want to get out of it though.