Should I buy these drums?

For all non-guitar instruments; mandolins, synths, kazoos, and anything else musical that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderated By: mods

Billy3000

Should I buy these drums?

Post by Billy3000 »

So I've been wanting a drumset really bad lately... I used to play on Stabby McKnifeguy's set whenever I felt like playing but he took his set with him when he got kicked out of school and NC for being Stabby McKnifeguy. I heard a commercial for Guitar Center's Greentag sales event today and they said they had a Pacific by DW 5 piece drumset with hardware for only $129. I assume that includes cymbals too. This is the only one I can find on their website, and they don't have a $129 drumset listed under the green tag sale on the site... but I assume that this is the set that the commercial would be refferring too because it's the cheapest Pacific set on the site:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/produc ... =101279313

I don't know shit about drums, so any of you guys that do, is this a decent enough set? I'm trying to decide if I want to put myself into debt and put it on my GC credit card for a 12 months no interest deal.
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

Looks ok to me for a starter set. But then again I saw my old drummer learn to play on the shittiest old gretsch set you will ever find, and he turned out to be a fantastic drummer. I say dew it. I almost want to get one myself.
euan wrote: I'm running in monoscope right now. I can't read multiple dimensions of meta right now
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Run of the mill entry level kit, looks just like the Pearl Forum, CB Percussion and so on. With those cymbals that sound like metal bin lids :D

They're fine for starting out, and with a new set of heads and cymbals can sound pretty good.

If you're a total newb to drums, it might be worth getting one of those electric pad kit things- you don't need to learn how to tune em, can wear heaphones to appease the neighbours/room mates and hold their value better than a full low end kit would.
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
matte30is
Gimme' head till I'm dead

Post by matte30is »

I'm with dewg on this one. You'll spend more time putting them together and trying to tune them than playing them. If I had to do it over again I'd have bought an electric kit when I first started, Its like the first year I spent more time tweaking them than playing them.

those cymbals are a little stiffer than aluminum foil.
iCEByTes wrote:V8 give me chills the sound of motor , the visual , oh man oh shit oh crap.
DeadPenny

Post by DeadPenny »

matte30is wrote:those cymbals are a little stiffer than aluminum foil.
if it were me, i'd get either a Pearl Forum or the Pearl Vision kit, or the Tama equivalent. i can't remember the name cuz every Tama kit ends with "star" and i always mix them up. either way, you'd be sinking $500-$600, you'll get a good solid shell, either basswood or birch depending on the brand/model, and most (if not all) come with QUALITY hardware. hardware is the most important part... cuz if your hardware sucks, then you have no kit. everything will fall over and break and then you'll be pissed off and throwing drums. trust me. i have a broken ass hi-hat stand. i got pissed off cuz everytime i hit it, it either fell over or shrunk/sank/went stupid, so i threw that bitch across the room. it's now held together with duct tape and i'll be spending $150 on a badass Iron Cobra stand soon.
Being in love, I've found, is a lot like working at a factory - eventually, you get replaced by either a foreigner or a machine...
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

How much would an electric kit cost though?

What I was thinking is I would get some of those pads that rob posted about a while ago that make your drum set super quiet so you can play it in an apartment.
DeadPenny

Post by DeadPenny »

$60 gets you an entire set of drum mutes. Kick, Snare, 3 Toms, HH, Crash, and Ride mutes. i've got the ones by SoundOff and they're great.
Being in love, I've found, is a lot like working at a factory - eventually, you get replaced by either a foreigner or a machine...
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

DeadPenny wrote:$60 gets you an entire set of drum mutes. Kick, Snare, 3 Toms, HH, Crash, and Ride mutes. i've got the ones by SoundOff and they're great.
Seriously, that's not a bad deal, that would be an entire drum set with mutes for under $200!
gaybear
Inventor of the Blues

Post by gaybear »

you can make cheap sets sound decent, by getting good heads and cymbals.
plopswagon wrote: Drunk and disorderly conduct is the cradle of democracy.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

I don't see the point in learning on a kit with mute pad things- it's like learning on an electric guitar without an amp. You wanna be able to make cool sounds when you're starting out, not a load of dull thuds. You might as well just buy some pillows and a pair of sticks.

I still say the electric kit is the way to go if you've never really played drums before.
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

GRETSCH