Paint booth

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

DGNR8

Paint booth

Post by DGNR8 »

I read about a guy in Baltimore who painted his guitar in an apartment. He bought one of these $20 vinyl wardrobes to use as a spray booth. I am out in my garage, but tempted just to keep the vapors out of my house. I don't care what happens to me, but the others, the others. I have seen them for more than this. You can't beat $20 plus a little window.

What I would really like is a bicycle stand to poke through the left side to hold the guitar body within the bag. I know it hampers movement, but what price safety? Besides, nitro smells to high heaven. This is a weird auction--it has a sale price on the BIN.
Yell Like Hell
Aug
Best Poster 2010

Post by Aug »

all you need is a sealed area and a brushless fan to evacuate the overspray really...

hell, I've hung guitar bodies from the shower door, covered the bathroom in plastic, turned on the fan and went to work. It's not ideal, but it works.
DGNR8

Post by DGNR8 »

I may do some outside this summer. I have been "blessed" with so many natural finishes to paint over. I am tempted not to go down to wood.

Aug, what would you say is the timeline for the fastest you could paint a guitar and still have it work properly? I can let it cure for months--I don't mean that. But could you do all the painting, say--in a weekend? 5 coats a day for 3 days, or 8 coats a day in 2? I have a STACK of flapjacks to paint.

A fun competition one of these boards should do is a speed challenge to refin an entire guitar. I couldn't even participate. But it would be interesting to see how fast one could be done.
Yell Like Hell
weijie

Post by weijie »

Talking about vinyl wardrobes, I had been thinking about getting one as well given that I'm going to be painting my guitar body soon. In a complete stroke of luck, one of my neighbours just threw one away, and I grabbed it before the garbage man did! :D
Aug
Best Poster 2010

Post by Aug »

DGNR8 wrote:I may do some outside this summer. I have been "blessed" with so many natural finishes to paint over. I am tempted not to go down to wood.

Aug, what would you say is the timeline for the fastest you could paint a guitar and still have it work properly? I can let it cure for months--I don't mean that. But could you do all the painting, say--in a weekend? 5 coats a day for 3 days, or 8 coats a day in 2? I have a STACK of flapjacks to paint.

A fun competition one of these boards should do is a speed challenge to refin an entire guitar. I couldn't even participate. But it would be interesting to see how fast one could be done.
I can't believe I skipped over this post. With nitro, I'll shoot the entire thing in a single day and let it sit for 5 weeks. That's enough time.

As for a competition...I'd have to smoke all your asses. I'd simply buy proper autobody paint and a smaller sprayer and would be completely done in 2 days flat.