Orange Drops

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

DGNR8

Orange Drops

Post by DGNR8 »

How do these attach? Clip the legs and pinch them together? I have found a few images online, but I couldn't tell WTF was happening with them. I looked in the Wiki first, of course. This one looks like they shoved on an air conditioner.

I saw where AUG was trainspotting--I mean, waxpotting. I could tell it was him by the hands, but I was surprised at how nicely his kitchen was. :)

Do they make a blend of paraffin and beeswax for this purpose? If not--why?!?

Yell Like Hell
Aug
Best Poster 2010

Post by Aug »

first of all, those pics you saw weren't of me...I've not done any waxpotting yet...and secondly, whatchoo talkin' 'bout, Willis?
filtercap

Re: Orange Drops

Post by filtercap »

DGNR8 wrote:How do these attach? Clip the legs and pinch them together? I have found a few images online, but I couldn't tell WTF was happening with them. I looked in the Wiki first, of course. This one looks like they shoved on an air conditioner.
As evident in the pic: same as any other component, any ol' way you can get 'em on there! :) I bend the leads so they line up with whatever I need to poke them through or solder them against. Then I snip off enough to keep the cap from sticking way up off of whatever I'll be soldering it to.

What are you attaching them to? Pots of tone?

If not a real air conditioner, that's probably a little "choke," which works something like a one-sided transformer. They're sometimes used in oddball tone circuits, such as the Gibson "Varitone" about which I know vari little. I've seen one in a Rickenbacker diagram too. I think the idea is that a choke can filter out low frequencies and leave the high ones alone.
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

Re: Orange Drops

Post by theshadowofseattle »

DGNR8 wrote:How do these attach? Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah? blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah Wiki blah, blah blah. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah air conditioner.

Blah blah blah AUG blah blah blah-- blah, blah. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah, blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. :)

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah? Blah blah--why?!?

Fakir Mustache wrote:Classic Shad Deluxe.
Nick wrote:Some of Shad's favorite Teles are black.
DGNR8

Post by DGNR8 »

theshadowofseattle wrote:Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah? blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah Wiki blah, blah blah. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah air conditioner.
I am finally starting to understand how Shad's brain works.

The question is: how do you hook up an orange drop capacitor to a tone potentiometer on a Jag-stang? The cap legs are too long. Thank you Filtercap for trying to help. I think I got it. And yes, I meant that the small blue object in that pic looked like something from an AC.

The only reason I mentioned Aug is because the last time I thanked Hurb for posting about cleaning pots, I was told it was Aug. Since all I had to go on in the Wiki were pictures of someone's thumb, I made a guess that it was Aug. I should have studied the nail more I guess.
Yell Like Hell
luke

Post by luke »

DGNR8 wrote: The question is: how do you hook up an orange drop capacitor to a tone potentiometer on a Jag-stang? The cap legs are too long.
You can cut them. :D
Aug
Best Poster 2010

Post by Aug »

like this:

Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

Yes, the blue thing is a "choke", AKA an inductor like you find in a wah, radio, and amps. In a tone circuit the do the reverse of caps, they allow low frequencies through them and resist high ones. See my explaination of how caps work in a tone circuit for details, just replace "cap" with inductor and swap the words "high" and "low" and you it applies to inductors.

And wasn't it Fran that did the wax-potting article?
euan wrote: I'm running in monoscope right now. I can't read multiple dimensions of meta right now
Aug
Best Poster 2010

Post by Aug »

probably...Fran has lovely hands.
DGNR8

Post by DGNR8 »

Now that's a motherfucking Sprague Orange Drop Cap photo! I will do it just like that!

Wait a minnut. That's from the goddam Wiki I have been poring over. How did I miss a big orange sputnik? What a load.
Yell Like Hell