Tascam 2488 portastudio...

Guitar techniques, music theory, recording and anything to do with actually playing your guitar

Moderated By: mods

FatCat

Tascam 2488 portastudio...

Post by FatCat »

Anyone have any experience with it? I'm thinking I'm going to pick one up, moreso for recording drums, but any information/soundclips you guys could give me would be great.

Mike, that's what you use, or used, isn't it?
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

I had the smaller version, the 788 and it was wicked. the 2488 is it's much bigger brother, 8 tracks at once? 24 in mixdown?

It's a beast, you'll love it.
robert(original)

Post by robert(original) »

is it analog or digital?
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Digital.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

i loved my tascam tape portastudio. then i got cakewalk. but then i tried this fostex thingy a couple years ago, and it sucked balls. too many buttons and menus with a dinky screen and heiroglyphics. back to cakewalk.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Yeah I use Sonar. I think once you experience all that flexibility it's hard to be constrained again.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

does cakewalk have anything close to all the outboard gear for sonar that digidesign does for protools? i've always wondered about how comparable they are in a toe-to-toe contest.
More Cowbell

Post by More Cowbell »

Protools = Chuck Norris
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

Chico > Chuck Norris
Shabba.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

dots wrote:does cakewalk have anything close to all the outboard gear for sonar that digidesign does for protools? i've always wondered about how comparable they are in a toe-to-toe contest.
you mean HW? You can use any HW you want with it - it supports it all and you can get the same stuff cheaper because you can shop around and aren't tied in to the brand. I'm a big exponent of it. I bought a 10in/10out 24-bit 96kHz audio interface with 4 ultra-quiet high headroom preamps that can accept TRS jacks or XLRs, with 48V phantom power and -10dB pads on each, also a HiZ input for DI'd guitar/bass - all for <£500.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

Mike wrote:
dots wrote:does cakewalk have anything close to all the outboard gear for sonar that digidesign does for protools? i've always wondered about how comparable they are in a toe-to-toe contest.
you mean HW? You can use any HW you want with it - it supports it all and you can get the same stuff cheaper because you can shop around and aren't tied in to the brand. I'm a big exponent of it. I bought a 10in/10out 24-bit 96kHz audio interface with 4 ultra-quiet high headroom preamps that can accept TRS jacks or XLRs, with 48V phantom power and -10dB pads on each, also a HiZ input for DI'd guitar/bass - all for <£500.
finally remembered to check this. . . what i'm talking about are the protools external processors. digidesign makes pci cards that plug into external enclosures with extra processing power. it's how you can get 64 tracks going all at once. i don't suppose cakewalk does that?
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Any number of manufacturer's make the Audio Hardware you're talking about. Cakewalk are a software house only. The freedom to buy HW at the correct functionality/pricepoint is the advantage.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

cool, i was just wondering. couldn't find anything like what digidesign does on cakewalk's site, so it's gotta be 3rd party if anybody's doing that.
giginthesky

Post by giginthesky »

i own a 2488 and use it for recording and mastering. i've heard of people having problems with it freezing up but i can tell you, in two years, i've never had a problem with mine it at all. i use a boss 1180 (i prefer the effects in the boss unit over tascam) to record ten tracks, then dump that to a stereo track on the tascam. that leaves me 20+ tracks left to record with. not to whore myself out here but if you want to hear what i recorded on the tascam, check out myspace.com/giginthesky. all five songs were recorded using the 2488.