new toy - Yamaha drum pads

For all non-guitar instruments; mandolins, synths, kazoos, and anything else musical that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderated By: mods

aphasiac

new toy - Yamaha drum pads

Post by aphasiac »

i just won this yamaha midi drum pad set thingy + stand on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0090623342

i'm figuring i'll be able to learn how to drum with it.

though knowing me it'll be up on the classified board within 2 weeks :?
Last edited by aphasiac on Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

My bandmate has one of those, they're pretty good. Tend to miss anything really fast but they're great to learn on.
Tweez

Post by Tweez »

That's a similar thing to what My Bloody Valentine used on Loveless; because Colm O' Ciosoig was ill they got him to hit those pressure sensitive pads so they could input something close to his style of drumming into the drum machine.
aphasiac

Post by aphasiac »

Doog wrote:My bandmate has one of those, they're pretty good. Tend to miss anything really fast but they're great to learn on.
sweet, that's what i wanted to hear!

i'll do a shitty youtube demo once ive got them..now just gotta order "Learning drums..for Dummies"
filtercap

Post by filtercap »

Doog wrote:My bandmate has one of those, they're pretty good. Tend to miss anything really fast but they're great to learn on.
Agreed & agreed.

My bassist has one of these, and we used to use it for jamming/songwriting. Depending how you set it up & what style music you use it for, you can get some pretty decent results. The touch-sensitivity threshold was a little hard to figure out. Also, smacking two pads simultaneously sometimes yields one sound rather than two, and there's some magic ritual I had to perform before switching off or else it forgot my carefully-tweaked custom kit the next time I switched on. :?

Aside from that, it is indeed handy for sketching out & recording song ideas, and fun to use once you've got the setup figured out. Enjoy.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Re: my new toy - Yamaha drum pads

Post by Nick »

aphasiac wrote:i just bought this yamaha midi drum pad set thingy + stand on ebay
fix'd
paul_

Post by paul_ »

those things are fun. they used to have one in Service Merchandise when i was 11 but my parents wouldn't buy it for me.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
aphasiac

Post by aphasiac »

so yeh, finally got the Yamaha DD55 drum pads.

in the end my dad met up with the mum of the guy selling to pick em up. kids these days eh..lazy or what..

anyway, first thing that stuck me how small the unit is; it's about the size of a jumbo acoustic guitar body. the big pads are only 5", and the small ones 3". It's also VERY light.
Next i was struck is the amazing high sound quality - it sounds very realistic, especially with reverb on. only thing is it's not that loud - which is cool for quiet practise but annoying overall, so they'll probaby have to go through one of my guitar amps.

Touch sensitivity is decent, but you have to hit the pads dead on centre for it to react properly alot of the time. Now im no drummer, but frankly the floorpedals are sh#t - just buttons.

Anyway, it's a fun bit of kit, and i WILL LEARN TO DRUM dammit! Will probaby do a youtube demo at some point (if i can be bothered)
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

Yeah, let me know how that turns out, and I'm interested in the vid. I need to get something to learn drumming on, and these might do it. Question, do you have to run it to the PC to get sounds or does it put it out from the unit itself?
euan wrote: I'm running in monoscope right now. I can't read multiple dimensions of meta right now
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

d00d?

can you like use those as triggers?

if so, you're on your way to recording the next big chart topping hit (or a metal album)!
aphasiac

Post by aphasiac »

Sloan wrote:d00d?

can you like use those as triggers?

if so, you're on your way to recording the next big chart topping hit (or a metal album)!
yup, midi in/out - and works really well according to reviews. may hook it up at some point, cos you can download new songs via midi (it already has 100 inbuilt demo songs to play along with; 50% good, 50% useless).

actually discovered one of the berst features is the "hand percussion" mode - you can play it like a bongo! soo fun!!
aphasiac

Post by aphasiac »

PenPen wrote:Yeah, let me know how that turns out, and I'm interested in the vid. I need to get something to learn drumming on, and these might do it. Question, do you have to run it to the PC to get sounds or does it put it out from the unit itself?
nope, all the sounds are built into the unit itself - along with speakers, a metronome, 100 demo songs (which you can change the tempo and turn parts on/off), 40 different drum kits (all customisable). it's a pretty decent package.

If i had more space i'd have probably gone for something like this:

http://www.firebox.com/index.html?dir=f ... nversion=1

Not sure how they compare, technically; the pads on the yamaha are really nice and velocity sensative - you can do some nice dynamic stuff.

anyway yeh i'll do the video then.
aphasiac

Post by aphasiac »

so yeh, i've been drumming every night for a week, learning using instructional vids off youtube. can hold a simple beat now, and do some simple fills.

For the first few days i didnt know how to hold the sticks, so i was hitting the pads really hard, and have splintered the ends of the sticks and scratched up the pads. oop. but these things are REALLY good for learning = perfect in fact!

Infact I'd say these are BETTER than buying an acoustic kit for a beginner, due to 1) size, 2) varity of drum sounds 3) silent practise, 4) metronome, 5) demo songs to play along with.

I'll do a demo once my stereo 1/4 instrument cable arrives, probably on Tuesday/Wednesday.

oh yeh one final side point - turns out my girlfriend is naturally a really amazing drummer. she got teh groove - on her first ever go she could do everything i'd learnt in a week within minutes. I picked up my guitar and plugged the drums into my stereo, and we had a jam;the yamaha pads sound KILLER through a good speaker system!!
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

People often grip the sticks way too hard when they start out - it makes it much harder for you to play well.
NickD

Post by NickD »

My wife had a set of those, they were alright.

She lost interest, and I can't play the drums.

At all :(

Sold now.
euan
partynerd!

Post by euan »

I struggled when I tried to learn to play the drums at school just like when I tried to learn guitar. I wasn't allowed to use the left handed quitar despite being the only lefty in the class.

I wanted to play the drums lefty but they wouldn't let me either and I had the same confused feeling. I might nick my brothers drum kit at some point actually.

Life is hard when you are a left.

Woe.
euan
aphasiac

Post by aphasiac »

euan wrote: I wanted to play the drums lefty but they wouldn't let me either and I had the same confused feeling. I might nick my brothers drum kit at some point actually.
how do you play drums lefty? If you go with matched grip then your hands are the same - i guess you could reverse your entire kit, but i don't really see any point, as it's not like either hand is suited better to any particular drum(s).
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Left handed people reverse the whole kit. It does make a difference.
euan
partynerd!

Post by euan »

Mike wrote:Left handed people reverse the whole kit. It does make a difference.
Word.
euan
aphasiac

Post by aphasiac »

Mike wrote:Left handed people reverse the whole kit. It does make a difference.
excuse my ignorance, but what are they? I can see disadvantages (not being able to play anyone elses kit), but i can't see the benifits (assuming you're starting from scratch).

It's the same with lefty guitar players - I don't get the point of learning lefty. Unless you're playing classical, surely it makes more sense to use your dominant more skillful left hand for fretting, and it's certainly a lot easier/cheaper to buy right-handed guitars.

what am i missing?