repairing finish?

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

Johno

repairing finish?

Post by Johno »

Had a band practice on Saturday got a cab home. When we opened the boot of the car my guitar fell out & hit the ground causing a chip on the back of the lower body its fairly big about the size of two match boxes. Any ideas on how I can treat it to stop the paint chipping back further? It has been suggested that I could sand the edges of the chip & then apply clear coat nail varnish?
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

its sunburst isnt it?
if its on the black part you could be lucky,depending on how deep it is you may need to drop fill it with something, if its not to bad, mask of the area qnd start building op the layers of black paint. if its deeper you could fill it ith wood filler leaving it just below the paint line. seal that, then spray a few layers of black then clear. and polish it up.

if its part of the clear. it will be more tricky to hide it. perhaps useing something like sanding sealer to build up the layers then finnsih with clear but matching the tint will be the trickyist part.
Johno

Post by Johno »

the paint has come off so much that the wood is clearly visable, it's pretty big about the size of a packet of 10 fags.
The wood itself has not been damaged, no dents etc.

It is the black part of the sunburst that has come off so i guess i will have to put on a few layers as the finish is fairy thick. I've not done this before so will be a learning curve i guess. I'm not too worried about it looking like a pro job as I bought the guitar second hand & its a little beaten up anyway. Its about 14 years old.
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

Johno wrote:the paint has come off so much that the wood is clearly visable, it's pretty big about the size of a packet of 10 fags.

It is the black part of the sunburst that has come off so i guess i will have to put on a few layers as the finish is fairy thick. I've not done this before so will be a learning curve i guess. I'm not too worried about it looking like a pro job as I bought the guitar second hand & its a little beaten up anyway. Its about 14 years old.
useing the methods i said will work, but its such a big area if i were you i would refinnish. then you can have any colour you like!
Johno

Post by Johno »

Hurb wrote:
Johno wrote:the paint has come off so much that the wood is clearly visable, it's pretty big about the size of a packet of 10 fags.

useing the methods i said will work, but its such a big area if i were you i would refinnish. then you can have any colour you like!
True, think I need to get some practice in before i try that.

cheers for the advice Hurb
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

no worries hope it works out
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

That's why you use a gig bad or a case.
luke

Post by luke »

((nopics))

Don't bother hiding it man, it's a battle scar, and they all tell a story. It's part of the history now, no need to hide it. :)
More Cowbell

Post by More Cowbell »

Don't fix it! Now its relic'd, the value has doubled.
Johno

Post by Johno »

Billy3000 wrote:That's why you use a gig bad or a case.
Was in a bag man, l when i unzipped it & all the paint chips fell out i was worried :shock: bigtime. Glad it was just a flesh wound.