exspensive cables ?

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

kim
[='±'=]

exspensive cables ?

Post by kim »

i'm thinking about updating my cables a little bit, not that i'm using crap cables or summit, they're fine, tho most of them are about 5 years old... i've got a couple of excalibur cables (i think they were quite pricey when i bought them about five years ago..couldn't find this brand anymore tho..think they work together with ProCo now..only thing i found) and a while ago i got this cheap stagg cable because i really needed another cable and the store only sold frikkin stagg cables and i must say..i compared them, just my bass going to the amp and the exspensive 5 year old cable had much more bass response and less hiss than the cheap new one...
for patch cables i use yellow cable cables, not pricey, not cheap either..but i do notice a change in sound when i just plug my bass into the amp instead of using my pedalboard..so that's why i'm considering getting some Klotz patch cables, they're in the same line as george l's, planet waves etc.. but god damn... twenty fucking euros for ONE tiny patch cable is insane, haha... (and what about VOVOX ? sure they look classy but those prices, for a cable ? wtf ?)

so i'm wondering... how long do these exspensive cables really last ? is it like you'll never have to get new ones ever again when you just get those Klotz's, george l's, planet waves .. ? like a one time investment or something ?

those longer klotz funkmaster cables also say they're more like cables especially for bass ..never really heard of guitar cables especially for bass guitars...
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

with George l's the jacks should last forever. the great thing is of you get any problems with the actual cable you just replace it.
Doog
mid-century modem

Re: exspensive cables ?

Post by Doog »

heavium wrote:
for patch cables i use yellow cable cables, not pricey, not cheap either..but i do notice a change in sound when i just plug my bass into the amp instead of using my pedalboard
Bear in mind your guitar signal will be goin through any less-than-true bypasses on your pedals and a second guitar lead- there's always gonna be a bit of difference in sound.
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
euan
partynerd!

Post by euan »

Heavium I'm in the process of putting together an order for upgrading my patch and guitar cables. I'm buying a lot of jacks and some Klotz guitar+patch cables and just doing it all myself.

I'm going to do a bit of experimentation with some shielded patch cable to see if that makes a difference in hi gain hum. It shouldn't, but it's an experiment I want to do.

I'm looking at about ?3 for a 6" patch cable and about ?10 at most for a 5 meter guitar cable. So that would be about 4.50 and 15 euros respectively. If you want I can buy some extra and make some for you?
euan
More Cowbell

Post by More Cowbell »

Hurb wrote:with George l's the jacks should last forever. the great thing is of you get any problems with the actual cable you just replace it.
Agreed. Also you can put a set of george L's together faster than it will take you to take the other brands out of the box.
euan
partynerd!

Post by euan »

But George Ls are also just as expensive because you are paying for that system. I mean George L cable is ?2.19 a meter here, and ?3 a connector.

If I was to buy Klotz La Grange cable, and a pair of premium Neutrik connectors it would be ?1.17 a meter and ?2.50. Over a set of patch cables there is a substantial difference and all I requires is a little extra effort in making.
euan
kim
[='±'=]

Post by kim »

hm, i totally avoid cable kits because i know for sure i'd mess it up, haha, 5 euros for a 6" patch cable sounds nice indeed, shipping costs can't be that much either for those little cables, for bass i (only) need about four patch cables, 3x 6" and 1x12", even if i'd get them in those cheap german webshops those 6" would still cost me 20 euros each, the premade Klotz ones anyway

problem is i don't have a paypal account tho
but i guess there's other solutions for that
Tex-czech

Post by Tex-czech »

I fell in to buying expensive monster cables with the gold plated male jacks and extremely fat lead. 55 USD, I enjoy them. 21 ft. long yes. used for amp to peds

I thought I'd give it a shot insead of having a cheap one, bust it, then buy another thus spending more.

So I have the monster but in other cases making your own is something to keep in mind some day you might want to fix one you like or your in a bind.

I've found good wire at pawn, used gtr shops. Just find one with fine insulation, copper stranded wire of course. Then I buy switchcraft mono jacks and solder em, some times I use electrical tape around the soldered points but heat shrink is ideal. I have these old 90 angled jacks that clamp down well on the cable so you won't pull em hard and short/break em. SwitchCraft is a good company.
-Joe
euan
partynerd!

Post by euan »

We are in both in Europe, so it is Neutrik for us. The connectors actually tend to be of a higher quality than Switchcraft too.
euan
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

euan wrote:But George Ls are also just as expensive because you are paying for that system. I mean George L cable is ?2.19 a meter here, and ?3 a connector.

If I was to buy Klotz La Grange cable, and a pair of premium Neutrik connectors it would be ?1.17 a meter and ?2.50. Over a set of patch cables there is a substantial difference and all I requires is a little extra effort in making.
although soldering cables up is no problem. soldering cables up 5 minutes before a show because of a faulty cable would be a hairy ginger beard!
however the 5 seconds it takes to fix a George l's cable is much better suited for a gigging muso like heavium
euan
partynerd!

Post by euan »

You've got me there Hurb, it is quicker to fix a problematic George L cable. But you've still got to spend the time finding out where the break in the cable is. The difference in price also means you could buy a spare lead for each one which would be faster than fixing the broken one.

It's all pros and cons really though.
euan
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

euan wrote: It's all pros and cons really though.
not really. i have george l's so she should get them.
superfuzz

Post by superfuzz »

i hear monsters are good, but i dont own any. i really should upgrade my cables, considering im using cheapo cables, and cheap patch leads. good luck!
Tex-czech

Post by Tex-czech »

Hurb wrote:
euan wrote: It's all pros and cons really though.
not really. i have george l's so she should get them.
Cool! I actually have one of those, but I wasn't sure who made it, love it, its a small lead. Those look great I'll be getting those from now on too. gold tips. Thanks :D
-Joe
iCEByTes

Post by iCEByTes »

funny cables aint like guitars

in brasil we have 2 nacional good makers Santo angelo (25 bucks - 110 bucks ) and Hayonik (20 bucks -80 bucks )
import have Diamarzios witch is good ... , Monster cable its like (200 - 350 bucks (no thanks)
Precise dwarf bravery
aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

I blew $35 or $40 bucks on a goddamn bullet cable, but mostly cause i had extra money, and they look fucking amazing.

That said, when it clicks in your guitar it's like, well, great sex. I imagine that the cable and the guitar just had one stroke of the greatest sex of their lives.
High quality, low popularity Ecstatic Fury
Mark

Post by Mark »

i spent $25 on a fender vintage voltage. mostly because its tweed :D
im a sucker for tweed
More Cowbell

Post by More Cowbell »

euan wrote:You've got me there Hurb, it is quicker to fix a problematic George L cable. But you've still got to spend the time finding out where the break in the cable is. The difference in price also means you could buy a spare lead for each one which would be faster than fixing the broken one.

It's all pros and cons really though.
Have you seen the inside wire of a George L? They are rock solid.

And they don't have problems. :lol:
Tex-czech

Post by Tex-czech »

totally I had no idea what lead I had they are completely FTW

ICey I'm stocking up on monster cable and selling them all where you live.
200-350 bucks?!?! fuck me running!
-Joe
element062

Post by element062 »

I bought those cheaper shitty cables for 3 years since when I started playing and they would constantly break and crackle when they were moved. Eventually I bit the bullet and upgraded when guitarcenter was having a special to planet waves with the kill switch. The difference in quality is immense and I definitely notice less signal loss. I heard the dimarzio cables are as good as george L etc. but cost a little less.
Cordero del dios.