WANT

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Doog
mid-century modem

WANT

Post by Doog »

Dopeass. Check out DeMarco's DeDemo.

It's probably not new or anything, but I've never seen one demonstrated properly before.
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

Boss/Roland are so stuck in the 80s when it comes to their demos its almost unbelievable.

On the other hand, not being forced to use the GR-20 and being able to use an external synth = bad ass. i'm pretty sure other pickups can do that, but it is definitely something thats under exploited.

A guy at uni had a hardware synth that he spent a student loan installment on, cost him ?800-1000 or something. It sounded amazing though, he wa smainly making DnB and other dance music stuff, and it was great for what he wanted.

I'd love to be playing guitar, flick a switch and be able to play a great sounding DnB bass line.
Shabba.
Mr Mustache

Post by Mr Mustache »

that demo totally took me back to when i was like 6 months old!

it looks cool, but just because it's a Synth they have to advertise it as really queer, i just don't get it. Why can't have have someone how is actually creative play it?? That dude in the demo thought he was soooo cool because he learned how to sweep pick in less than 2 years! :shock: :roll:

there stuff would have a much wider appeal if they advertised differently.

so i am turned off by that thing altho i know it may be very awesome and useful.
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

iam with doog, it is kinda corny, but in the right hands it could be awesome. even if its just to get one back on that tosser keen pianist.
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

OMGZ. DEMARCO IS THE MASTER OF THE WORLD.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

It'd be sooooo awesome for recording applications, imagine being able to drop a really cool expressive sounding violin part or something, without having to progamme anything or have it sound robotic.

AWESOME.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Overall, those things are too complicated. You can't get lightning fast tracking at fast tempos. You need to be playing a certain way in order to get the results shown in the vid... I don't know the technical reason why exactly, but basically it almost feels like playing guitar hero, if you don't get it perfect you don't get it at all.

I've not used my GR33 in some time. I've got a piano and a few synths. I just feel like I'm a lazy pianist when I play the roland. In a band setting, it just feels like you're doing too many things. Playing guitar is cool. Playing keyboard is cool. But playing keyboard with your guitar doesn't track as well as actual keys, and overall just isn't rewarding.

I'm thinking about selling my GR33 to buy a cheaper GR09. I just can't justify having "the best" version of these things when I never use it as it is.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

they can't quite cut it with chords (notice he didn't play any), it's a similar problem to what happens when you play chords/bends with a whammy pedal, it starts shitting its own pants.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

paul_ wrote: when you play chords/bends with a whammy pedal, it starts shitting its own pants.
hahahaha

I love that sound, it does the same thing on my PS-5 in "harmonist" mode (set the harmony to any octave setting and the exp pedal just works as a Whammy would). The "pitchshifter" mode doesn't cause it's polyphonic, but sounds all crap and wobbly. Idiots.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

paul_ wrote:when you play chords/bends with a whammy pedal, it starts shitting its own pants.
It sounds horrible, I love that sound.
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

paul_ wrote:they can't quite cut it with chords (notice he didn't play any), it's a similar problem to what happens when you play chords/bends with a whammy pedal, it starts shitting its own pants.
i heard the odd tracking worble in those vids..but i kinda like it when my ps-5 does that. so i would probley like it on this thing too.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

BacchusPaul wrote:
paul_ wrote:when you play chords/bends with a whammy pedal, it starts shitting its own pants.
It sounds horrible, I love that sound.
Doog wrote:
paul_ wrote: when you play chords/bends with a whammy pedal, it starts shitting its own pants.
hahahaha, I love that sound
wtf? that was strange.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Digital glitching brings people together.
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

like aids.

well sort of :?
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

:shock:
paul_ wrote:they can't quite cut it with chords (notice he didn't play any),
The other video demos have a hairfarmer playing chords, sounds pretty good to me.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

http://myspace.com/realbluesky

Horrible recording but well you can hear how they sound with chords. I was playing guitar/roland simultaneously.

My review explains paul's review (which was not informative at all). There isn't a problem with chords. The roland pickup has a seperate magnet for each string to track them individually. Now some boss multi-fx that do synth, such as the GT-5 and GT-8, HAVE to do single string tracking because they're only taking in one signal path. You throw a chord at it, it's gonna glitch because it's constantly trying to find the most dominant note. But with the roland, it will effectively play each string as if it were its own signal. Since you can only fret one note on each string at a time, there's never any real problems playing chords.

However, when you strum chords in rhythm playing, it will screw up the tracking horribly, making it glitch. Usually strumming chords interupts the synth, basically it thinks every time you're strumming you're muting the last chord you strummed....however it reads this differently for each string, which is why it cuts in and out giving the illusion of it glitching.

That is to say, you can't play naturally...you have to play very carefully so you don't confuse the synth. It's annoying as fuck and why I sort of don't play it a whole lot anymore.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Man, I like that song.
Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

great
Sublimedo

Post by Sublimedo »

Nick wrote:http://myspace.com/realbluesky

Horrible recording but well you can hear how they sound with chords. I was playing guitar/roland simultaneously.

My review explains paul's review (which was not informative at all). There isn't a problem with chords. The roland pickup has a seperate magnet for each string to track them individually. Now some boss multi-fx that do synth, such as the GT-5 and GT-8, HAVE to do single string tracking because they're only taking in one signal path. You throw a chord at it, it's gonna glitch because it's constantly trying to find the most dominant note. But with the roland, it will effectively play each string as if it were its own signal. Since you can only fret one note on each string at a time, there's never any real problems playing chords.

However, when you strum chords in rhythm playing, it will screw up the tracking horribly, making it glitch. Usually strumming chords interupts the synth, basically it thinks every time you're strumming you're muting the last chord you strummed....however it reads this differently for each string, which is why it cuts in and out giving the illusion of it glitching.

That is to say, you can't play naturally...you have to play very carefully so you don't confuse the synth. It's annoying as fuck and why I sort of don't play it a whole lot anymore.
I have a gr-20 and all thats true. The bad chord strumming tracking issue puts me off using it alot.

Regardless, I love how it can sound in recordings. If i was ever to use for a project it would be strictly for recording. I hate bands that use this thing live, it never sounds right.