PEAL GEEKS: wierd pedal guts Q

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

aen
Turdscreamer

PEAL GEEKS: wierd pedal guts Q

Post by aen »

So i took apart my DOD analog delay (cause it shat out on me, but i got a DMM to replace it) in the hope sof seeing some obvious loose solder i could fix and have my fave analog delay back. But i got it all out of the box and there's a red wire coming off the input jack and a black wire coming off the output jack that go NOWHERE. Not even any exposed metal on the wire, just bizarre extra wire.

WTF mates?
High quality, low popularity Ecstatic Fury
Tex-czech

Re: PEAL GEEKS: wierd pedal guts Q

Post by Tex-czech »

aen wrote: Not even any exposed metal on the wire, just bizarre extra wire.
At the tip of the wire where the insulation starts? Its where a solder joint has broken on the circuit board. Maybe it was a cold joint (didn't bond/connect well). Look for points on the circuit board were a wire could have broken off.

does it turn on just no effect?
-Joe
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

The input jack one is very likely the POWER wire. That is why it is dead. That wire goes to the power jack. The black wire is likely a ground, which should be ok since it is grounding via the casing also. Take an post pics of the input jack, wire, and power jack and I'll show you how to fix it.

EDIT: Does this make me a peal geek?
euan wrote: I'm running in monoscope right now. I can't read multiple dimensions of meta right now
euan
partynerd!

Post by euan »

PenPen do you use the casing as ground? I'll ground the casing but I really don't like to use the case as the common ground.

I always wonder if people use the case because those Switchcraft jacks are not isolated like the Cliff style ones that I use.
euan
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

euan wrote:PenPen do you use the casing as ground? I'll ground the casing but I really don't like to use the case as the common ground.

I always wonder if people use the case because those Switchcraft jacks are not isolated like the Cliff style ones that I use.
I use metal jacks and metal cases so I will ground the output jack through the casing in order to prevent loops. The input ground still goes to board, it's just the output jack that grounds throught the case. Several makers do this including Boss.
euan wrote: I'm running in monoscope right now. I can't read multiple dimensions of meta right now
euan
partynerd!

Post by euan »

Yeah I know that. I just feel a bit dirty at doing. But I'm weird.
euan
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

I admit it frustrated the hell out of me once when I had a Boss pedal apart trying to find a broken solder joint, thought i found it and fixed, hooked up the leads to test before putting it back in the box, and spent another 45 minutes trying to figure out why it wasn't making any sound 'fore I realized the output wasn't grounded. But the reasoning makes sense.
aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

well, this is hwy you dont examine your pedal sin the dark.

The mystery black able was coming form the plastiic boxy thing that has lots of wires coming out. The red one cocmes from the input jack and goes to nothing. When i took it out of the case and plugge dit in, i only got an absurd buzz and the led lit up, so it must be case gorunded. This shit is WAAAAAAY out of my league, I'll probably just put it in a box and give it away some day.
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

Send it to me. Are you in the US?
aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

U bet. YOu think you could fix it?
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

I am 95% sure I can fix it. The 5% is if I get really drunk and bury it under my sidewalk. I'll PM my addy.