Your favourite pedal usage in a song

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Although I put "Spokes For The Wheel Of Tournament" and not "Torment", haha. Definately takes the edge off the name a little bit..
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
matte30is
Gimme' head till I'm dead

Post by matte30is »

The guy from the police probably was using a synth guitar. He was really big into synth guitars.
iCEByTes wrote:V8 give me chills the sound of motor , the visual , oh man oh shit oh crap.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

matte30is wrote:The guy from the police probably was using a synth guitar. He was really big into synth guitars.
No.

It's clearly a Fender Telecaster into a modulated delay and a Clean amplifier.
ElCapitan

Post by ElCapitan »

Jimi Hendrix - Pretty Much Everything, Voodoo Chile Especially
Listening to his songs made me want a fuzz and enlightened me on the joys of feedback manipulation, to the horror of my bandmates...

The Strokes - Juicebox
The Trem use in that is a bit gimmicky but the choppy trem makes the solo sound 10 times as cool.

Dinosaur Jr. - The Whole Of "You're Living All Over Me"
I bought the reissue version after seeing them live in Bristol. J's use of Big Muffs and Marshalls and a whole ton of other effects turned me into the pedal-whore I am now. J seems to be the only person that can make the pentatonic major sound cool.
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

lovely thread idea

I made little 20 second samples of what I picked and uploaded them in a zip.

yousendit link

Melt Banana - Aquatic Bee
I love the changes in dirt tone. Really simple idea, but it adds to the song a lot.

Grandaddy - Go Progress Chrome
The little trem bits add to the texture so well.

Grandaddy - He's Simple, He's Dumb, He's the Pilot.
I really like the compression on the acoustic guitar, it makes it sit really well in the tune. Keeping the pace nicely, without being too intrusive. The vocoder or whatever was used on the vocal in the background is really well used too.
Shabba.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

I love both those Grandaddy songs. He's simple... nearly made my list.

True Story.

Keep em coming people. Hendrix also I love for that sliiiidde bit in the solo in Crosstown Traffic.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Actually I've remembered it was um.. All Along the Watchtower. That whole solo is ace.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Not a guitar pedal but anyway:

Imogen Heap - Hide & Seek - The vocoder on her voice is so sumptuously beautiful and perfectly used to support the melody that it makes me forget how much Cher made me hate vocoders

Bloc Party - Banquet - That last delayed note-slide from the spazz solo in the outro ringing and repeating out made me buy my first delay pedal. So simple and yet so clever

Dire Straits - Sultans of Swing - If anything was ever going to persuade me to buy a compressor pedal it would be the way the clean guitars sound all the way through this song

Pink Floyd - Breathe - The light phaser on the guitar part sounds so perfect I can't play those chords without making the phase sound in my head - and I don't like phasers
aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

I'd have to say my favorite pedal moment is during "Zombies of the Sand Forest" by The Ronald Raygun where I sustain one note for like a full minute using 2 dirt pedals and then the drumemr leaves the kit and mashes about on my pedals while I try to feedback in new and exciting ways.

Oh, you haven't heard that?

Well, the record is still for sale, so just PM me.
High quality, low popularity Ecstatic Fury
Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

ElCapitan wrote: Dinosaur Jr. - The Whole Of "You're Living All Over Me"
I bought the reissue version after seeing them live in Bristol. J's use of Big Muffs and Marshalls and a whole ton of other effects turned me into the pedal-whore I am now. J seems to be the only person that can make the pentatonic major sound cool.
j pwns. you should see that picture of his muff collection
luke

Post by luke »

Mike wrote:Not a guitar pedal but anyway:

Imogen Heap - Hide & Seek - The vocoder on her voice is so sumptuously beautiful and perfectly used to support the melody that it makes me forget how much Cher made me hate vocoders
I saw her live on monday! I was going to make a thread about it but I never got round to it. She's an awesome live performer, and she sure knows her digital effects.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

She's amazing, I've seen her live too.

There's a cool video of her looping and layering on the KCRW or whatever it is "morning becomes eclectic" website.
luke

Post by luke »

Mike wrote:She's amazing, I've seen her live too.

There's a cool video of her looping and layering on the KCRW or whatever it is "morning becomes eclectic" website.
Her two looping machines that she called her "parrots" weren't working, and as you can imagine that kinda threw a spanner in the works. She was about to give up on trying to play "Just For Now", but someone in the crowd shouted "We'll help you Immy!", so before we know it she's split the crowd up into three and everyone's singing her harmonies for her. That was some experience.

Her opening act made a good use of a sampling pedal though, a dude called Levi Weaver. The first song he played kinda caught everyone off guard. He started tapping on his guitar to lay down the first layer on his loop. It took a couple layers for most people to realise what he was doing, then before we knew it he had this awesome backing track built up. He even used a violin bow at one point, which is always cool. He's definitely made me wanna get a sampling pedal, just so I can play about with it like that.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Sounds shit hot. Our very own Hurb loops it up like that.

And KT Tunstall.

*SPEW*
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

Mike wrote:Sounds shit hot. Our very own Hurb loops it up like that.

And KT Tunstall.

*SPEW*
you wait till i have 2 loopers! i will blow your minds!"1!111!111
paul_

Post by paul_ »

radiohead- my iron lung: musicbox-like melody played with whammy pedal in stationary toe-down position while it gently faults like they do.

rhcp- melloship slinky in b major frusciante played the solo on a 60's strat with the frets removed through an mxr blue box.

pumpkins - zero: whats that, every pedal he owned at the time all switched on at once?

blur - he thought of cars: graham coxon seperates two parts of the weirdest, most off-the wall riff ever (doubled by some ethereal verb-drenched bends) by stabbing a G#m while simultaneously kicking in his tremolo pedal.
you can see a half-assed bad-sounding version that is nothing like what i'm talking about from jools holland played on his super sweet bound/block jaguar here. go to about 1:20... he doesn't play the cool riff with the little bendies and just keeps strumming the G#m though. it's not a good example, it's just got a jag in it.

Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

That blur song is awesome. The verse chording is sweet.
euan
partynerd!

Post by euan »

Pavement - We are Underused
Stephen Malkmus rips into one of my favourite solo with a hugely saturated fuzz. I've heard it is a Big Cheese he uses on it but I've never really found out.

Radiohead - Anything with J. Greenwood
It's Johnny.
euan
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

euan wrote:Pavement - We are Underused
Stephen Malkmus rips into one of my favourite solo with a hugely saturated fuzz. I've heard it is a Big Cheese he uses on it but I've never really found out.
That was his main dirt box, but I guess he coulda used something else in the studio.
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

Mike wrote:Not a guitar pedal but anyway:

Cher didn't use a vocoder for that song, she messed around with an auto-tune device.
Brandon W wrote:you elites.