Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

PenPen wrote:
bob wrote:
PenPen wrote:PM'd'd.

As for a name, "Floppy Fat Chick" is my suggestion. "Babyshaker" is reserved by ME for the trem I'm making.
Is this the hurb trem? If so this is good news, i'm still gonna be buying one.
Indeed. As usual with making a pedal, you set out with one design idea in mind in terms of how to make it do stuff, and along the way you end up finding ANOTHER way that you just might like more. That is where I am now, I was trying to remove the noise in the design and through my attempts at removing it hit upon another, possibly better way to do the trem. So it is going through yet another revision.

the only thing i ask for my pedal is that you add something that will set it apart from the ones you make after it. something like mk1 or summit.
:lol:
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

Post by theshadowofseattle »

SECURE TWIN ION ENGINES

ACTIVATE KURDTZ MODULATOR

TREMOLO - ENGAGE!
Fakir Mustache wrote:Classic Shad Deluxe.
Nick wrote:Some of Shad's favorite Teles are black.
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

euan wrote:The beauty of breadboard :D
And LTSpice. I won't be able to breadboard this one, WAY too many parts involved. Breadboard is my love when it comes to smaller stuff like the various fuzzes and the Rat clone I did, for tweaking out values before committing to perf, but this monster will have in total THREE LFOs, feeding either one or two tremolo stages (haven't yet settled on if I want two LFOs feeding one stage or two trem stages in series) and a vibrato stage (basically a phaser stage minus the dry line, OR something along the lines of the Wobbleton from FolkUrban), PLUS a Jfet "Fetzer Valve"-style input stage with a Bassman EQ I worked up, AND the lofi hiss mod I saw somewhere (basically just a pot with a reversed noisy zener for injecting line noise). Hell I think there's even more to the request but I haven't got the notes in front of me. LTSpice has been a godsend for designing. Did you know you can set as a voltage source a wave file and have it WRITE to a wave file? I recorded some guitar and chopped down to 5 seconds as my input, then I write an output file and I can HEAR what the effect does to the signal. I love it.
euan wrote: I'm running in monoscope right now. I can't read multiple dimensions of meta right now
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

Hurb wrote:
PenPen wrote:
bob wrote: Is this the hurb trem? If so this is good news, i'm still gonna be buying one.
Indeed. As usual with making a pedal, you set out with one design idea in mind in terms of how to make it do stuff, and along the way you end up finding ANOTHER way that you just might like more. That is where I am now, I was trying to remove the noise in the design and through my attempts at removing it hit upon another, possibly better way to do the trem. So it is going through yet another revision.

the only thing i ask for my pedal is that you add something that will set it apart from the ones you make after it. something like mk1 or summit.
Haha. I'll see what I can do. I was going to surprise you but I was also planning to bundle a gift of another pedal I made, the aforementioned Pungent Bzzz pedal that sounds like a speaker that's been kicked in, for free. Since you like noisy stuff and all. I thought you might like it.
euan wrote: I'm running in monoscope right now. I can't read multiple dimensions of meta right now
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

What's a good breadboard to buy if you want to start prototyping effects, or will anyone do?
paul_ wrote:When are homeland security gonna get on this "2-piece King Size Snickers" horseshit that showed up a couple years ago? I've started dropping one of them on the floor of my car every time.
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

jcyphe wrote:What's a good breadboard to buy if you want to start prototyping effects, or will anyone do?
I use the cheapo one from Radio Shack. There isn't a whole lot to a breadboard. I'm sure some of the nicer ones are a bit more sturdy perhaps but for basic foolery the RS one will do just fine.
euan
partynerd!

Post by euan »

I keep meaning to build an effects breadboard interface type thing. Just a ground line connection, holes for mounting pots and in.out jacks. Just a block of wood is all I'll need really.

I remember using Spice back in my electronic labs, but that would have been PSpice. The most horrid bit of software I've ever used. I would go into rages in the middle of trying to make or simulate cicruits.
euan
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

PenPen wrote:
Hurb wrote:
PenPen wrote: Indeed. As usual with making a pedal, you set out with one design idea in mind in terms of how to make it do stuff, and along the way you end up finding ANOTHER way that you just might like more. That is where I am now, I was trying to remove the noise in the design and through my attempts at removing it hit upon another, possibly better way to do the trem. So it is going through yet another revision.

Haha. I'll see what I can do. I was going to surprise you but I was also planning to bundle a gift of another pedal I made, the aforementioned Pungent Bzzz pedal that sounds like a speaker that's been kicked in, for free. Since you like noisy stuff and all. I thought you might like it.

:shock: dude you are awesome! so very kind of you.

let it be known, penpen rules all!
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

euan wrote:I keep meaning to build an effects breadboard interface type thing. Just a ground line connection, holes for mounting pots and in.out jacks. Just a block of wood is all I'll need really.

I remember using Spice back in my electronic labs, but that would have been PSpice. The most horrid bit of software I've ever used. I would go into rages in the middle of trying to make or simulate cicruits.
Yeah I did that long ago. Save a TON of time testing. Just a little bit of wood, cut and glued into an L shape with mounted jacks and a DPDT flip switch, and a bit of steel rail from a computer case I soldered some wires to with gator clips for ground connections. All parts avail from RS (Maplins over there I think) plus the wood is all that's needed. Oh and and battery clip with gator clips on the leads.

LTSpice is a free version from...uh..LT, who are a semiconductor manufacturer. Lots of addon's avail from the Yahoo group. I have added pots, J201, BS170, LM358, LM308, and TL702 parts to my library. It can get aggravating sometimes but it does the job well.
euan
partynerd!

Post by euan »

Maplin is nothing like Radioshack. You can get most things you need from Radioshack cheaply compare to Maplin. I could get a lot of stuff cheaper from Small Bear rather than going 20 minutes away from my local Maplin.

We have RS Components here, but they only deal with trade and make it hard if you are into amateur electronics. They are the only place in the UK I know I could source Vactrols from.

Some other places are slightly more consumer friendly but still require a bit of effort to order from. I can't find a good source or mini Alpha posts with tag connectors for example. A lot of the time I just give in and hit Small Bear because it is easier.
euan
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Farnell.
euan
partynerd!

Post by euan »

Farnell is CPC :D
euan
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

eh?
euan
partynerd!

Post by euan »

Oops, I mentioned CPC in a different post not this one. Farnell is a big company and its british arm is also called CPC. CPC actually kind ends up being cheaper for some strange reason.
euan
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

I've had CPC recommended for things like XLR connectors, when i checked it out they were pretty cheap for a lot of things.
Shabba.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

I ordered everything to do my projects at university through Farnell, they were pretty good. Now I steal things from the labs at my work. That's how I fixed my marshall MIDI footswitch for free.

It was like ?24/$50 of materials and parts. ROCK ON.
More Cowbell

Post by More Cowbell »

Here are some pics of the new aluminum housing, these are thick and not flimbsy(sp?) like the cheap ones at radio shack.

Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Good housing. Did you buy some board mounts?
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

He can just get away with gluing a piece of plastic to the inside on the bottom piece. Or just even laying it there, like Boss does. I bought a bunch of plastic folder separators that I cut to size a long while ago for mine.

Plus those things have ribbed walls for doing DIY stuff and mounting small boards.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

I suppose - a gob of glue gun should do it.