POTHEAD

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

DGNR8

POTHEAD

Post by DGNR8 »

Where is the cheapest place to get good quality pots and jacks for vintage shorties? I want working pots more than I want to restore originals. I am guessing Stewmac is more spendy than necessary. I prolly need setups for like 3 gits. I already have black cloth wire and one toggle switch. If I am using a rails HB in a single slot, should I go 250 or 500? I think the toggle adds a lot of the cost.

Is this KIT sufficient for MMs and Duoze? I guess the 500K is teh overkillz.

1 - 1/4" output jack
2 - 500K pots
1 - .047?F capacitor
12" Non-shielded guitar circuit wire, 22AWG, white
24" Non-shielded guitar circuit wire, 22AWG, black
12" Shielded guitar circuit wire, 28AWG inner conductor, black
Wiring diagram
Yell Like Hell
robert(original)

Post by robert(original) »

the caps and the pots won;t mesh well, i believe the .047 nanofared cap is more for singles and 250 pots
i believe you need like a .023 cap for 500s,, i could be wrong but thats what i remember as being true.
iCEByTes

Post by iCEByTes »

be careful when choice pots , bad maded can do noise

i recommend get from CBS (Fender and Gibson Choice) or Gotoh (Alpha) , they are good maded

capacitor get Spague Orange Drop or Mallory or Xicon
Precise dwarf bravery
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

iCEByTes wrote:be careful when choice pots , bad maded can do noise

i recommend get from CBS (Fender and Gibson Choice) or Gotoh (Alpha) , they are good maded

Are you speaking from firsthand experience?
Brandon W wrote:you elites.
iCEByTes

Post by iCEByTes »

ekwatts wrote:

i am experienced more than you at Eletronicals

i work on computer and eletronicals area have 8 years!

i know capacitors and potenciometers better than you !

i used CBS and Alpha and I KNOW WHAT A HELL I TALKING ABOUT

White beauty got Alphas 500k and Jag-stang i Replaced Volume per an 500K CBS , its DONT NOISE
Precise dwarf bravery
luke

Post by luke »

iCEByTes wrote:
ekwatts wrote:

i am experienced more than you at Eletronicals

i work on computer and eletronicals area have 8 years!

i know capacitors and potenciometers better than you !

i used CBS and Alpha and I KNOW WHAT A HELL I TALKING ABOUT

White beauty got Alphas 500k and Jag-stang i Replaced Volume per an 500K CBS , its DONT NOISE
Simple question, bitchy answer. Not classy.

I've never had a noisy potentiometer, and trust me dude I've played the cheapest of guitars.
euan
partynerd!

Post by euan »

To be fair to icey he is right, Alpha pots are first class. And that is first hand experience from myself. All my homebrew effects and replaced pots are Alphas and I've never had trouble with them
Though in a pots lifespan they will get noisy, but that is always just a cleaning away from getting sorted.

I also can't complain about Xicon caps.

Can that be the end of the argument please fellas?
euan
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

Malik wrote:Simple question, bitchy answer. Not classy.
Watts constantly riding iCEys balls. Not classy.

iCEy was justified in his tone here.
Shabba.
luke

Post by luke »

bob wrote:

Two wrongs never made a right. Icey could totally annihilate Eric by like, not giving a fuck about what he says. That'd be classy. He has at least some experience, but rather than make it sound like he knows what he's talking about, Icey puts forth his knowledge in the most arsey way he can, for example "i know capacitors and potenciometers better than you ! ", and " I KNOW WHAT A HELL I TALKING ABOUT ". That really is unclassy, and Eric makes him look stupid every time.

But yeah. There aren't really any bad pots, and seeing as you're restoring rather than making an Icey-spectacular-dream-machine of a guitar, you can always go for the cheap ones. Have you tried pricing things up on GuitarPartsResource?
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

Post by theshadowofseattle »

Lock the thread.
Fakir Mustache wrote:Classic Shad Deluxe.
Nick wrote:Some of Shad's favorite Teles are black.
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

Malik wrote:
bob wrote:

Two wrongs never made a right. Icey could totally annihilate Eric by like, not giving a fuck about what he says. That'd be classy. He has at least some experience, but rather than make it sound like he knows what he's talking about, Icey puts forth his knowledge in the most arsey way he can, for example "i know capacitors and potenciometers better than you ! ", and " I KNOW WHAT A HELL I TALKING ABOUT ". That really is unclassy, and Eric makes him look stupid every time.
To me, Icey wins at least half of the time. Watts is too obsessed with looking more intelligent than he is and the voice of reason all the time. Icey just tells it as he sees it and stands his ground when he can be assed, the guys got way more class.
Shabba.
euan
partynerd!

Post by euan »

Malik wrote:There aren't really any bad pots
Beg to differ. Ever seen the plastic shaft pots that Behringer use? Compare them to the Alpha or CTS pots used by more guitar/effects/amp builders and you'll find a world of a difference.

Then there is the difference in damping between different brands and models. Without at least a little damping your pots would spin like nothing.
euan
luke

Post by luke »

www.guitarpartsresource.com is a REALLY good source for guitar parts!
NickD

Post by NickD »

Malik wrote:
I've never had a noisy potentiometer, and trust me dude I've played the cheapest of guitars.
I've got a few 70's guitars, and believe me, they go from noisy, to flat out fucked. Except in the Fenders ( I can't afford old Gibsons, so I wouldn't know)

They tend to die with age, if they are cheap, but work ok when fairly new.
luke

Post by luke »

NickD wrote:
Malik wrote:
I've got a few 70's guitars, and believe me, they go from noisy, to flat out fucked. Except in the Fenders ( I can't afford old Gibsons, so I wouldn't know)

They tend to die with age, if they are cheap, but work ok when fairly new.
Well, I mean the cheapest of new guitars. Every low level guitar I've played, even the the Chinese/Korean/Vietnamese ones and stuff, they all have working electronics in them. The fact is, these days it's just as easy to make good electronics as it is bad electronics. If you're buying new electronics, you don't have to worry about noise and breaking and stuff, it's all made by robots anyway, and robots don't get it wrong very often.
sttawke

Post by sttawke »

robots get it wrong all the time. the stories i could tell...
luke

Post by luke »

sttawke wrote:robots get it wrong all the time. the stories i could tell...
Computers don't make errors, humans make errors.
euan
partynerd!

Post by euan »

Malik wrote:
sttawke wrote:robots get it wrong all the time. the stories i could tell...
Computers don't make errors, humans make errors.
Errors like purposely choosing inferior parts to make something to a price? CAM ensure consistent quality, but if you put garbage in you get garbage out.
euan
iCEByTes

Post by iCEByTes »

Malik wrote:
bob wrote:

But yeah. There aren't really any bad pots, and seeing as you're restoring rather than making an Icey-spectacular-dream-machine of a guitar, you can always go for the cheap ones. Have you tried pricing things up on GuitarPartsResource?
stupid point , when you work on eletronical area you learn separate good and trash ....

I use at my experiences

Capacitors :
Epcom , Simens , Rubycon , Xicon , Silvermica , Spague (witch i like use at guitars) , Panasonic , United Chemi-Con , Nippon Chemi-Con , Nichicon , Panasonic , Sanyo , CDE / Mallory , Elna , Vishay

Potenciometers:
CTS , Alphas
Precise dwarf bravery
handen

Post by handen »

My pot is always fresh.