refinishing question.

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

light rail coyote

refinishing question.

Post by light rail coyote »

does anyone know if you can spray clear nitro laquer over poly automotive paint? will it wrinkel or do anything goofy like that, or should it be fine.
Fuzz monkeys are generally fed the most bananas
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Re: refinishing question.

Post by Hurb »

light rail coyote wrote:does anyone know if you can spray clear nitro laquer over poly automotive paint? will it wrinkel or do anything goofy like that, or should it be fine.
should be fine i would think .
Aug
Best Poster 2010

Re: refinishing question.

Post by Aug »

light rail coyote wrote:does anyone know if you can spray clear nitro laquer over poly automotive paint? will it wrinkel or do anything goofy like that, or should it be fine.
it will be perfectly fine. :D

You just can't shoot poly over nitro.
light rail coyote

thats what I thought, but figured I should ask before I did it. Now I can blame aug if it wrinkles and shit :lol:
Aug
Best Poster 2010

Post by Aug »

light rail coyote wrote:thats what I thought, but figured I should ask before I did it. Now I can blame aug if it wrinkles and shit :lol:
hahahahaha...you'll be cool, dude.
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

Post by theshadowofseattle »

Aug speaks the truth. Nitro on poly in a-okay. Kurdt on Polly could be disasterous though.
Fakir Mustache wrote:Classic Shad Deluxe.
Nick wrote:Some of Shad's favorite Teles are black.
light rail coyote

So I brushed on some nitro laquer over a test block I sprayed with the poly and it wrinkled and peeled. You guys totally steered me wrong and would have fucked my projeck.
BOO FALSE KNOWLEGE
Aug
Best Poster 2010

Post by Aug »

light rail coyote wrote:So I brushed on some nitro laquer over a test block I sprayed with the poly and it wrinkled and peeled. You guys totally steered me wrong and would have fucked my projeck.
BOO FALSE KNOWLEGE
dude...I spray nitro right on top of poly guitars all the time. Something is screwy here, and you aren't telling us everything.
NickD

Post by NickD »

Aug wrote:
light rail coyote wrote:So I brushed on some nitro laquer over a test block I sprayed with the poly and it wrinkled and peeled. You guys totally steered me wrong and would have fucked my projeck.
BOO FALSE KNOWLEGE
dude...I spray nitro right on top of poly guitars all the time. Something is screwy here, and you aren't telling us everything.
Auto paint is generally acrylic, not poly, at least in the UKz.

However, that shouldn't matter, as half of Fender's custom colours were acrylic.

What was my point again.......................
luke

Post by luke »

BOO FALSE KNOWLEGE
((nopics))
euan
partynerd!

Post by euan »

NickD wrote: However, that shouldn't matter, as half of Fender's custom colours were acrylic.
Nick speaks the truth

Seeeee
euan
light rail coyote

would it matter that it has only been drying for a day? Other than that I cant think of anything I'm not telling you. I'm just glad I tested it out before I sprayed it on the guitar
light rail coyote

NickD wrote:
Auto paint is generally acrylic, not poly, at least in the UKz.

However, that shouldn't matter, as half of Fender's custom colours were acrylic.

What was my point again.......................
but isnt acrylic laquer too. Car manufacturers in the US cant use laquer anymore. So I think it would have to be poly. but I'm definantly not an expert on paint types and all that. I just put paint in the gun and spray :lol:
euan
partynerd!

Post by euan »

As far as I understand it, some of the Fender guitars were entirely ntiro, others were poly with a nitro clear coat on top. It was all dependant on the colour that was sprayed on the guitar.
euan
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

That paint on my bronco that I got from Autozone is acrylic lacquer.
Aug
Best Poster 2010

Post by Aug »

it must have been an acrylic enamel...that would cause those problems. If your guitar was shot in AE, then you'll need to strip it first. If it was shot in poly, then everything will be fine.
light rail coyote

:oops: it is acrylic enamel. sorry for doubting your knowledge d00ds. I guess I wont clear coat it
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

I think they sell acrylic enamel clear at autozone... I think... i'm not sure though
light rail coyote

Its single stage paint, so it polishes just as shiney as clear coated, some even say it polishes better, so I guess I'll just do it that way. I just wanted to try clear coating it.
aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

Aug wrote:
BOO FALSE KNOWLEGE
That and you have to let everyhting dry fro 50000 hours before you can start any kind of clearcoating. I learned that shit the hard way! and it led to this:

SANDING :cry:
High quality, low popularity Ecstatic Fury