A short scale guitar gave me this visual arts idea

Plug your music, photography, graphics, shows of any kind or other creative works.

Moderated By: mods

henkstroem

A short scale guitar gave me this visual arts idea

Post by henkstroem »

Hello all. This is most likely the only place I'm going to share this. Feels kinda strange, but here it is;

My work environment as many modern offices (and homes, i guess) is very minimalistic, newly refreshed and white. Also, colourful objects tend to be of the throwaway-plastic kind. Nothing one falls in love with. One day, I realised that I'd rather look at my bashed '62 Silvertone than fresh white-painted drywall. Places used to have character, like old guitars, but now it's all clean and lacks personality. No doorframe here bears the marks of decades of hard door use, nor have the walls old nail holes or fading wallpaper. Everything gets fresh paint regularly, or gets tore down and a new clean house emerges.

It wasn't always like this, though. A colourful painting or tidy photograph were often the centerpoint of an otherwise used and worn interior. Renovating was expensive and more of a necessity than a hobby. Clean is good, I don't nostalgise tobacco-stinking cardboard walls or moldy bathroom flooring. Just the look of anything that has had it's share of being useful to someone.

So, if a beautiful painting worked as a centerpiece in worn-out olden days, why not have a bashed-out rustic painting to soften my modern sterile environment? The piece has shellac sealed nitro-coated flame poplar and PVC on unsealed white and black acrylic painted and nitrocellulose clear coated pine, chrome screws, and a dash of hide glue. It is rather roughly finished, to see the grain and texture and reflections. The visuals are stolen from my Silvertone. Also, i threw it around a little and put it in the fridge for a few days, got checking going on now, and made a proper wear-spot in one corner. It will age a bit every winter. Also took the Silvetone to try it out at the same spot. A wall hanger should be larger, but this works perfect standing next to the mouse. I guess I just don't want a pencil being the most interesting object in a room without guitars.

Everything used was scraps, apart from the hide glue and shellac. Thanks for reading.
Attachments
image2.jpeg
image2.jpeg (2.71 MiB) Viewed 450 times
image0.jpeg
image0.jpeg (2.41 MiB) Viewed 450 times
image4.jpeg
image4.jpeg (1.73 MiB) Viewed 450 times
image1.jpeg
image1.jpeg (2.55 MiB) Viewed 450 times
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Re: A short scale guitar gave me this visual arts idea

Post by dots »

that's pretty cool looking!
henkstroem

Post by henkstroem »

Thanks!
henkstroem

Post by henkstroem »

Made another, a bigger red one. Spraying nitrocellulose in freezing temperature was exciting.
Attachments
IMG_9491.jpeg
IMG_9491.jpeg (3.45 MiB) Viewed 332 times