NEU! 96 MIM Duo-Sonic

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

MattK

NEU! 96 MIM Duo-Sonic

Post by MattK »

It's 90s, it's a Mexican Duo, of all the guitars I've ever owned, THIS is the MOST SHORTEST SCALE.
Previous owner had already given it a very nice new WD guard so I decided to finish the blackout look:
Tuners on these are TERRIBLE. I had some no-name but solid Kluson types and they fit the existing ferrules.
It sure plays well and sounds good, but the neck is such a twig I'm not sure ...
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Re: NEU! 96 MIM Duo-Sonic

Post by dots »

nice grab on a vintage guitar! (crazy to say that about a 90s instrument)
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Before the relatively cheap mustang and duo sonic reissues appeared I had seen on some of the forums someone put a 24" warmoth duo sonic neck on one of these bodies and it looked killer. It was also when you could buy these 22.5" 90s duos on ebay much cheaper than they are now
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
MattK

Post by MattK »

I seem to recall these are conversion necks? (i.e. that a standard Strat neck would suit the location of the bridge). Maybe that's the way to go. It sounds good and the feel and quality of the body is really nice, I guess 24" is as short as I can go.
I was always curious about these and now I know.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Tbh, I'm not sure about these whether the neck on them is a conversion one or whether the bridge has enough intonation so you could swap the neck for a regular strat neck. Also I'm not sure whether that person was using a proper Mustang spec 24" neck only with a duo/strat headstock from Warmoth or it was a conversion 24" strat neck.
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Sick af, love the colouscheme too.
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

Ooft, gorgeous.
johnniespring

Post by johnniespring »

I have 2 90s MIM Duos. It was a long time ago and my memory is not so good, but I did a lot of mods on one so this may not all be correct, bit here goes.... It had been sprayed in blue/green/purple flip paint before I bought it. I modded it more. Bridge changed to a non-trem Strat type. Standard full scale fender style added. Conversion neck was not required. Bridge pickup changed to a single coil size HB. Extra switches added to split the HB, bass cut one side of the split HB, phase switches added - that meant about 35 different pickup combinations were available. I called it the switchcaster. I used it for a couple of years. It was great, but I stopped using it cos there were too many switches and pickup combinations available which meant I couldn't remember how to setup for each song.
MattK

Post by MattK »

Alas it’s just too small for me, it’ll have to move along I think. The neck is tiny, my hands are not!
Gavin
I Beat BBC News

Post by Gavin »

johnniespring wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:53 pm I have 2 90s MIM Duos. It was a long time ago and my memory is not so good, but I did a lot of mods on one so this may not all be correct, bit here goes.... It had been sprayed in blue/green/purple flip paint before I bought it. I modded it more. Bridge changed to a non-trem Strat type. Standard full scale fender style added. Conversion neck was not required. Bridge pickup changed to a single coil size HB. Extra switches added to split the HB, bass cut one side of the split HB, phase switches added - that meant about 35 different pickup combinations were available. I called it the switchcaster. I used it for a couple of years. It was great, but I stopped using it cos there were too many switches and pickup combinations available which meant I couldn't remember how to setup for each song.
Hi Johnnie, long time no read.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Johnniespring!

The first person to reply to my first thread on Jag-stang.com wwaaaaaaay back when I was 15 or something.

Good to hear from you!
johnniespring

Post by johnniespring »

Yeah so it looks like it's been over 5 years since I posted on here. Have I missed much?
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

johnniespring wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:58 pm Yeah so it looks like it's been over 5 years since I posted on here. Have I missed much?

yes, tons of lols. =]

welcome back!
rahbro

Post by rahbro »

Screenshot_20231028_111917_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20231028_111917_Chrome.jpg (437.83 KiB) Viewed 829 times
plopswagon wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:55 am
I laid a pallet of sod yesterday
MattK

Post by MattK »

Who are you to suggest robroes?
I do have some but I like the little metal accents.
aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

I've got one of those that needs a shitload of work. I'm not even sure what color it was originally. Now i'm much more interested in working on it, since reading the conversion neck theory...
High quality, low popularity Ecstatic Fury
rahbro

Post by rahbro »

aen wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 1:01 am I've got one of those that needs a shitload of work. I'm not even sure what color it was originally. Now i'm much more interested in working on it, since reading the conversion neck theory...

PROTIP

FUCK TUNING IT TO E. TUNE IT UP TO F.

it seriously solved every problem I had with mine.
plopswagon wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:55 am
I laid a pallet of sod yesterday
MattK

Post by MattK »

This one has zero issues in E with a set of 12s and new tuners. I just dislike the neck shape. Weirdly I have a 90s Mustang with a tiny neck and I love it.
johnniespring

Post by johnniespring »

Here is a pic of the first MIM Duo I bought. I haven't played it for about ten years. It is very dusty as it has been sitting in my "sell it when I get round to it" pile. I changed the pickguard to a nice brown tort. I think the pickups are stock and electronics are stock, but I may have changed stuff. I tried 9s for stupid noise with crazy bends which was fun, but not really viable so I mostly used 13s. Stock tuners were fine for me. Just for fun I "aged" it before the first time I used it at a gig. My attempts at ageing it were crap. We had no bass player for that gig so I used a sub octave fuzz pedal and we had bass-like sounds from a tiny guitar on the quiet bits. It worked.
Attachments
tempImageRsw4TG.gif
tempImageRsw4TG.gif (7.23 MiB) Viewed 726 times
aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

I'm glad they work for you, but those tuners make me shudder. (not that I've done anything about them on mine.)
rahbro wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:02 am

PROTIP

FUCK TUNING IT TO E. TUNE IT UP TO F.

it seriously solved every problem I had with mine.
I actually rock a high A tuning (AEAAE) that might translate nicely onto the little guy.
High quality, low popularity Ecstatic Fury