NOAD: Korean Rhino

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

NickS

NOAD: Korean Rhino

Post by NickS »

Offered free on a local community Facebook board, so being a tight git and thinking it might do for a small amp to leave round at the bass player's place:
► Show Spoiler
It was smaller than I expected, not significantly bigger than the little Marshall practice amp but it's 15W and closed back with two gain stages, full tone control set and an effects loop.
A little bit of rust...
► Show Spoiler
Personal pronouns he/him
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Re: NOAD: Korean Rhino

Post by dots »

NickS wrote:(My wife wasn't amused at yet another amp coming through the door...)

"It's the last one, I SWEAR!!" :lol:
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

I got this one just for us!
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
NickS

Post by NickS »

Stripped down, squirted Servisol in the pots and sockets cleaned up the washers and nuts a bit and it's scrubbed up nicely We'll see how it goes tomorrow night.
Tech details; a low-noise dual op-amp provides the two gain stages, the rest is all transistor.
► Show Spoiler
Personal pronouns he/him
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Love the vibe; these kinda amps always sound WAY better than anyone gives them credit for, namely because they're largely owned by total newbs without the smarts to dial the amp in, or indeed play non-shittily. Dual gains, presence AND an FX loop, ooh la-la; with reverb, this'd be the 'school music room golden goose'.

I could sworn I'd seen some simple examples of a RHINO practise amp, but might be thinking of the GORILLA. All part of the majestic beast cinematic universe
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
NickD

Post by NickD »

Doog wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:57 pm Love the vibe; these kinda amps always sound WAY better than anyone gives them credit for, namely because they're largely owned by total newbs without the smarts to dial the amp in, or indeed play non-shittily. Dual gains, presence AND an FX loop, ooh la-la; with reverb, this'd be the 'school music room golden goose'.

I could sworn I'd seen some simple examples of a RHINO practise amp, but might be thinking of the GORILLA. All part of the majestic beast cinematic universe
Very true, and played through a decent speaker it probably sounds even better.

I've been pleasantly surprised by the MG15s I've owned, I do remember my 15 watt Squier amp sounding bad in the 80s, but I think that's probably shitty playing, as you say.
NickS

Post by NickS »

It was good enough for our (drummerless) practice last night so I left it at the bass player's place, though I must adjust my M9 crunch patch settings to provide less of a boost.
Personal pronouns he/him