Wiring LEDs

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

Doog
mid-century modem

Re: Wiring LEDs

Post by Doog »

Pens wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:16 pmbeam of piss
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

ekwatts wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:26 am So I wired up the LED. Initially, I'd just snipped the existing LED off and stripped the ends of the wires for the new one. As I was soldering the second wire, the positive wire snapped at the solder joint on the PCB.... I was NOT equipped to do a desolder job so I did what anyone in my position would do: just dived in anyway. I basically succeeded in fistfucking the solder connection to the board into infinity, and in my rush to finish up, I kind of managed to lay a big blob of solder ACROSS the positive AND negative holes on the PCB.

Job royally fucked, I thought I'd leave it there until I could find my solder sucker, but then I noticed I'd also managed to pull the negative wire for the power supply socket off the board too. I was a bit more careful with that one.

So, after galloping around like a fucking... idiot on the guts of a £300 pedal, I plugged it in.

The result is that the pedal itself still worked absolutely fine, but.. the LED doesn't work. I'm probably just going to leave it alone now...
Well then. I guess that's that.

Yeah, the LED has nothing to do with the rest of the circuit, in like 99% of cases, I'm sure there's some weird shit out there.

I've sort of forgotten how hard it can be to solder when you haven't done it much. It gets to be really routine and easy, I forgot how much I had to learn to get to this point. It takes patience, though, which it does get tedious and you want to rush it. I made mistakes on my recent RAT build due to how many damn joints I had to do, and started rushing towards the end with the wiring, resulting in having to redo some of the joints.

If you're getting frustrated and just want it done, put the iron down and take a break until your patience recharges. You'll come back to this in a week or so and get it done, I'm sure.
euan wrote: I'm running in monoscope right now. I can't read multiple dimensions of meta right now
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

Yeah, that's good advice. I really wasn't properly prepared for any of this though, I was just being really impatient. One of the other things is that I'd let my brother borrow my soldering iron a while back and he swapped the tip out for some sort of gigantic, thick-ass stabilo boss tip which REALLY didn't help, either.

It is pretty funny that, as chaotic and ridiculous as this process was, I just ended up in exactly the same place I was in before.
Brandon W wrote:you elites.