Done bought a vox ac30

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

dots
BADmin (he/him)

Re: Done bought a vox ac30

Post by dots »

ekwatts wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:23 am In case it wasn't clear, no, I wasn't being completely serious about the Greenbacks. My limited and historic experience with them has given me a kneejerk reaction to them whenever they're brought up, and I used that as a jokey way to recommend the only speaker I've ever seriously loved, the Celestion V30. You know, something, something, something, I'm a caveman philistine with strong opinions, etc. Putting Greenbacks in an AC30 is one of those traditional things you're kind of expected to just accept, though, so I thought I'd combine my analysis of my kneejerk-ism with that.

I also thought my verbosity (yes, it's a real word, shortscale's own spellchecker didn't put the red squiggly line under it LOOK I'M PUTTING MORE WORDS IN A POST) in response to such a brief post was kind of funny in and of itself? I dunno, maybe I don't come into threads about gear with a predisposition to actually picking a fight over how many words somebody used in a post on a *checks notes* message.. board... in which the primary method of interaction is *checks notes again* the written word.

I fully accept the possibility that the tone and intention of my original post may not have landed for everyone. But that's a "you" problem. Not a "me" problem. Thanks.

TL;DR - Greenbacks really are shit and, if you like them, you probably eat dogshit off the street.

and now i read this and realize watts was just taking the piss.
what can i do about this?
mayhaps in his face i will... jisssssssss(?)
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

Based on the videos Nick posted I've chosen a cream back.

Cue pedal sale
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Did you do an loud with the band? How was it?
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

Loud!
The sound is a bit of a mess in the room tbh. Tiny room so I end up standing right next to the amp so not getting the best perspective of how it actually sounds. We are moving to a proper practice space next week so I am hoping to get a better idea then with more room. I only had the master volume at halfway and I could feel the speaker blowing on my arse though!
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Awesome! I bet it will sound good in the bigger room.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Hurb wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:22 pm I could feel the speaker blowing on my arse though!
hot
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Hurb wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:20 pm Based on the videos Nick posted I've chosen a cream back.

Cue pedal sale
Which Creamback? I got G12H75s in my cabinet and they sound huge. HUUGE/
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

Bacchus wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:40 pm
Hurb wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:20 pm Based on the videos Nick posted I've chosen a cream back.

Cue pedal sale
Which Creamback? I got G12H75s in my cabinet and they sound huge. HUUGE/
Celestion 65W 16 ohm G12M-65
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Enjoy. I chose G12H75 because 75 is 10 more than 65, but I wonder how they actually compare.
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

Bacchus wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:08 pm Enjoy. I chose G12H75 because 75 is 10 more than 65, but I wonder how they actually compare.
There is a good chance I couldn't handle the extra 10 betterness
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

Is there one that’s 11 more?
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Hurb wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:25 pm
Bacchus wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:08 pm Enjoy. I chose G12H75 because 75 is 10 more than 65, but I wonder how they actually compare.
There is a good chance I couldn't handle the extra 10 betterness
Ten is in the fingers, etc.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

plopswagon wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:25 am Is there one that goes to11?
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

sunshiner wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:11 pm
plopswagon wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:25 am Is there one that goes to11?

they all do. or none of them do. no numbers on the dial, so you could say they go to infinity and beyond.

or just way louder than any bedroom can withstand.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

No wonder the Beatles loved them. Loudest amps ever with the infinite volume.
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

Cream back is in. Only had a quick play but sounds nice enough. I think the amp is brighter now and seems to be cleaner. So perhaps was getting some grit from the speaker i had in? Either way will be able to play it loud tomorrow night at practice.

Also I don't really understand speakers and extension cabs etc

If I wanted to be billy big bollocks what could I plug into the extension cab jack?
Like it has a 16ohm or 8ohm switch so presumably any cab that measures 16 or 8? Would that effect the speaker that's in or would I have to take it into account?
NickD

Post by NickD »

Hurb wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:23 pm Image

Cream back is in. Only had a quick play but sounds nice enough. I think the amp is brighter now and seems to be cleaner. So perhaps was getting some grit from the speaker i had in? Either way will be able to play it loud tomorrow night at practice.

Also I don't really understand speakers and extension cabs etc

If I wanted to be billy big bollocks what could I plug into the extension cab jack?
Like it has a 16ohm or 8ohm switch so presumably any cab that measures 16 or 8? Would that effect the speaker that's in or would I have to take it into account?
From what it says there it will mute the internal speaker, so I don't think you'll need to take that into account.

If you want to tame the brightness then the cut knob works well for that. I find the AC circuit loses a bit of brightness the more it distorts.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

ALERT, ALERT
Screenshot 2022-12-14 at 09.30.14.png
Screenshot 2022-12-14 at 09.30.14.png (940.15 KiB) Viewed 2881 times
There's an EXTENSION speaker and an EXTERNAL speaker output there; it says only the EXTERNAL will mute the internal speaker; the EXTENSION will factor your internal speaker in, so we'd need to check the manual online to determine if this is parallel or series (which determines the resulting total load)
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

As we say in the business, RTFM: http://www.manualslib.com/manual/76548 ... 30cc1.html

External: This speaker jack will mute (disconnect) the internal speakers and you can hook up
either a 16 Ohm or 8 Ohm cabinet. Be sure to set the Output Select switch accordingly.

Output (O/P) Select

COMBOS
16 Ohm: Combos allow for the following configurations:
1) Set it to this if you use the internal speakers only.
2) Set it to this if you connect a cabinet through the External jack and the impedance is 16 ohms.

[...]

8 Ohm: Combos allow for the following configurations:
1) Set it to this if you connect an extension cabinet through the Extension jack. You’ll be
running the internal and external speakers in parallel. The impedance of the extension cabinet
must be 16 Ohms.
2) Set it to this if you connect an external 8 ohm cabinet through the External jack.

So, to use an EXTENSION speaker, the speaker needs to also be 16 ohms, and you set the amp's O/P Select to be 8 ohms, as both 16 ohm speakers (internal and extension) run in parallel, halving the overall load.
NickD

Post by NickD »

Doog wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:29 am ALERT, ALERT

Screenshot 2022-12-14 at 09.30.14.png

There's an EXTENSION speaker and an EXTERNAL speaker output there; it says only the EXTERNAL will mute the internal speaker; the EXTENSION will factor your internal speaker in, so we'd need to check the manual online to determine if this is parallel or series (which determines the resulting total load)
That'll teach me to read Shortscale without my glasses on. Good spot