NGD: Squier mustang!

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

astro

NGD: Squier mustang!

Post by astro »

I bought a Squier Bullet Mustang in Sonic Gray!

Wait a second… it looks a little different… it has more pickguard screws, like a “proper” Mustang. And the humbuckers are different too, they now each have a coil with screws whereas the previous version has only flat topped poles on both coils.

And now it’s made in China instead of Indonesia.

Build quality is very good, I love that the fingerboard has a 12” radius (my favourite!) and whatever wood the fingerboard is, it’s nice. Looks like a more subdued brown than rosewood, looks like a great match with the sonic gray body colour. Tuners are cheap and a little slacky but they work. We’ll see how long they last.

I peeked under the guard and control plate, no shielding whatsoever. There’s a slight hum when plugged in, it isn’t getting completely “bucked”. Tone is not bad, these pickups are actually pretty decent considering how cheap this guitar is.

The control plate has an impenetrable clear plastic film on it, like what they put on new pickguards. Except that I have only managed to peel off a couple of millimeters. It just otherwise won’t come off. Maybe lighter fluid can melt the adhesive?
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Re: NGD: Squier mustang!

Post by Nick »

I love the color! Also didn't realize those are 12" radius. The fretboard wood I'd guess is Indian laurel...the current Fender hierarchy seems to be laurel < pau ferro < rosewood but I have the laurel on a few necks and it's not bad looking, sometimes more consistent color-wise than the pau ferro.

I would have thought they'd have the same black shielding paint as the other recent Squiers I've owned, I think the only time I saw one of these it was the blue Alstang the first time I met robroe and I don't remember what it had

Do you have any mods planned?
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

astro wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:47 am
The control plate has an impenetrable clear plastic film on it, like what they put on new pickguards. Except that I have only managed to peel off a couple of millimeters. It just otherwise won’t come off. Maybe lighter fluid can melt the adhesive?
Lighter fluid might work, but if not, try denatured alcohol. That's the common fluid for de-gluing things, demonstrated by the LockPickingLawyer on youtube, even anti-tamper stickers. I normally just use 90% isopropyl and haven't yet found anything that it didn't work on, but maybe this sticker is resistant to that. If you can get a razor under at least a bit of the edge, and inject alcohol into the gap, it ought to start coming off. Just be very generous with the fluid. I bought some small squeeze bottles with a flat needle tip for this purpose, you can find them on Amazon at least.
euan wrote: I'm running in monoscope right now. I can't read multiple dimensions of meta right now
astro

Post by astro »

Nick wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:23 am I love the color! Also didn't realize those are 12" radius. The fretboard wood I'd guess is Indian laurel...the current Fender hierarchy seems to be laurel < pau ferro < rosewood but I have the laurel on a few necks and it's not bad looking, sometimes more consistent color-wise than the pau ferro.

I would have thought they'd have the same black shielding paint as the other recent Squiers I've owned, I think the only time I saw one of these it was the blue Alstang the first time I met robroe and I don't remember what it had

Do you have any mods planned?
I was quite surprised at the lack of shielding, even the pickguard lacks the typical foil sticker for shielding. I’ve had a few squiers in this price range and they’ve always had the black shielding paint in the cavities.

I do plan on doing some mods, mostly from stuff I already have in my parts bin. I will definitely add copper shielding tape to the cavities, and strap locks. I have a set of Grover tuners I want to put in there, but I don’t currently have the tiny screws they need for installation, as I harvested those for another project. I also have a Dimarzio Tone Zone that I will put in the bridge position. I might replace the cheap box switch pickup selector as those are doomed to always fail, but I would have to buy one as I have none right now. And maybe I’ll put a proper music master/duo sonic 3 saddle bridge on there too. The stock bridge is fine, I would just do it for the looks.
astro

Post by astro »

Pens wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:33 pm
Lighter fluid might work, but if not, try denatured alcohol. That's the common fluid for de-gluing things, demonstrated by the LockPickingLawyer on youtube, even anti-tamper stickers. I normally just use 90% isopropyl and haven't yet found anything that it didn't work on, but maybe this sticker is resistant to that. If you can get a razor under at least a bit of the edge, and inject alcohol into the gap, it ought to start coming off. Just be very generous with the fluid. I bought some small squeeze bottles with a flat needle tip for this purpose, you can find them on Amazon at least.
Thanks for the tip! I will definitely try the denatured alcohol. Good to know you can get them with a needle tipped applicator, that might very well do the trick!
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

I mean sonic grey.

come on.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Psychedelic Beige
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
astro

Post by astro »

Here’s my new favourite guitar colour name: ”Sonic Cheese” http://www.ebay.com/itm/275423302145? ... R6zOzuyWYQ
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

wallace.gif
wallace.gif (1.97 MiB) Viewed 1086 times
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit