Fretboard/Bridge radius Mustang/Jaguar

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

Pens
less dickface

Fretboard/Bridge radius Mustang/Jaguar

Post by Pens »

Hey, so I'm planning a new secret build project, and I'm trying to determine what goddamn fretboard radius to order. I haven't decided yet if I'm doing a Jaguar tail with Mustang bridge, or my usual Musicmaster reissue bridge, but either way I gotta pick a fretboard radius to get this neck ordered.

Research is telling me that the Jaguar always had a 9.5" radius? Is that right? But the Mustang had/has a 7.5" radius? Is that accurate?

I would prefer to do a 7.5" radius, my best feeling neck on my Musicmaster has that, but this guitar is to be my Jaguar replacement, so maybe I want 9.5"? Then again, like a dipshit I went and put a Mustang bridge on my Jaguar at some point, so did I mismatch the radius on this thing?
euan wrote: I'm running in monoscope right now. I can't read multiple dimensions of meta right now
Gavin
I Beat BBC News

Re: Fretboard/Bridge radius Mustang/Jaguar

Post by Gavin »

Unless I’m going senile in my old age I am sure Jaguar’s have always been 7.5”. The 9.5” thing is a crappy reissue update. I think the classic players and HH with hardtail jags are 9.5”.
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

7 1/4 did you ever see the Duo Sonic/Musicmaster bridge plates I’m selling?
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

Okay. I thought original Jags were 7 but Wikipedia was saying 9, so I started to doubt myself. I was planning on ordering 7 for this neck, so I think then that's the plan.

Plops, no I haven't seen these, link me?
euan wrote: I'm running in monoscope right now. I can't read multiple dimensions of meta right now
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

Okay, yeah so I am pretty sure the vintage Jags were 7.25", based on further reading. The newer ones in the last decade they did with 9.5", and that's what I kept finding for parts, so it confused me.

Thanks for the info, I just thought I was losing my mind for a moment.
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

Those are really cool. I do already have a MM bridge though, I ordered extras when I did my last build just in case they stopped making them.

I may still pick one up from you at some point, those are really handy to have.