Pickup options for a Strat project

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

NickD

Pickup options for a Strat project

Post by NickD »

I’ve got a Strat project on the go, a Squier Japan neck and a Strat copy body. It plays and sounds pretty good, but the pickups are microphonic, especially the middle one so I’m looking for some cost effective replacements that are made like a real Strat pickup, not the ceramic bar magnet style that this wears, has anyone got any suggestions/recommendations. Also any trem replacement suggestions, vintage style, import spacing?
48A2AFA8-8278-467A-BBA4-783035C00B4D.jpeg
48A2AFA8-8278-467A-BBA4-783035C00B4D.jpeg (2.21 MiB) Viewed 1658 times
Thom
lamp

Re: Pickup options for a Strat project

Post by Thom »

Q pickups are really good, but their prices seem to have gone up a fair bit since I got my strat set a couple of years ago. I’ve got their Alnico 3 50s set which is great.
http://reverb.com/uk/shop/q-pickups
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

Yeah, the market's really shifted since I built my strat (pre-Brexit, Torygeddon etc). I was about to recommend Rose Pickups, but they're out of business now, plus importing from the states isn't viable any more I feel.

Grey-bottom U-stamped Tokai pickups are the best strat pickups I've heard; my Rose Robustas are pretty much a copy of them: Alnico V, 6kish.
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

Some people swear by pieces of potato shaped into a pickup shape and shoving bits of refrigerator magnets in them.
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

How cheap are we looking for here? GFS level?

I can't recommend Bulldog enough. Not the quickest turnaround, but proper handmade bespoke pickups from about £55 each. Great value for that.
NickD

Post by NickD »

Bulldog are a definite option, as are a couple of local companies,Toltec and Bloodstone. I’d prefer to keep under £100 for the set though, which probably puts Bulldog out for this particular project.

I might try the potato and fridge magnet idea though…
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

You could try Entwistle pickups if you want cheap and cheerful: LINK
I’ve had a couple of the humbuckers which were decent, and Doog then bought from me for a HH strat project I believe.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

If you like the sound of your current pickups you might try and wax pot them... with paraffin. I've read that even some boutique pickup makers use paraffin as it's less PITA to deal with than wax. You might destroy them during the process or not. It could be a fun little project.
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Sub-£100, I suppose we're looking firmly at Artec. Value, but always feel like a bit of a gamble to me. They're nearly always great for the money spent, but not always necessarily top-end and I always feel like there are so many variations and rebrands that it's hard to know what it is you're actually getting.

What do second hand CV pickups go for? Seem like they'd somehow feel appropriate for the build that it is, although I don't know if they're cheap.

A second hand set of Wilkinsons? They've always sounded pretty good to me.

That, or bro-deals.
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

Sub-£100, I reckon you'd easily get quite a decent set on eBay/thefretboard. Fender Fat 50s are stealthily brilliant, and match the pickups I was banging on about above.
NickD

Post by NickD »

I've just had an offer sent to me on ebay for a set of the Toltec ones. Handwound in the uk, 50's spec for £75 shipped. I'm not sure I'm going to beat £25 a pickup?

Artec are a good shout otherwise, although they are a bit hit or miss. Secondhand stuff like CV pickups tends to get listed for excessive prices on eBay, but it's a good idea. I'm considering Wilkinson for a build that needs P90s, and that's likely where I'll get the trem for this too.

Tim - I've not really visited thefretboard before. Looks like a classifieds my wallet would want me to stay away from.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

NickD wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:30 am I've just had an offer sent to me on ebay for a set of the Toltec ones. Handwound in the uk, 50's spec for £75 shipped. I'm not sure I'm going to beat £25 a pickup?
You might, but not at that quality I would suggest. Do that.

The Wilkinson P-90s I have in my fretless are excellent.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Thom wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:49 pm You could try Entwistle pickups if you want cheap and cheerful: LINK
I’ve had a couple of the humbuckers which were decent, and Doog then bought from me for a HH strat project I believe.
Yeah, really like 'em! Have still yet to do the coilsplitting I aimed to, but one day!

Based on personal experience, you might have more luck getting a bargain on FB Marketplace; eBay takes a big cut and it's more faff than using the 'Place, and ultimately becomes diminishing returns for a quick cheap sale, so people pump prices. I got some CV Jag pickups on Marketplace deal there (obvo you have to request postage, but can get Paypal to cover the transaction if you're that worried, so maybe worth a punt.

The good thing about Marketplace is that since it's tied to your personal profile, you'll get shysters, or at least it's a lot easier to identify them first. I don't think anyone's luckily to be running a scam involving budget OEM parts.
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

Entwistle pickups?

► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
NickD

Post by NickD »

Thanks for the input guys. I went for the Toltec ones, and fitted them last night, pretty impressed so far. Here’s a pic, but all it really shows is that I don’t own a matching set of covers that would fit :oops:

A new nut and I’ll call this done I think. I was thinking about replacing the trem for a better one, but as I don’t use it on this guitar I don’t think it would make any difference to the sound.
BDC52D5C-F16E-49D4-B8D9-CCF111038DB9.jpeg
BDC52D5C-F16E-49D4-B8D9-CCF111038DB9.jpeg (1.23 MiB) Viewed 1564 times
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

If it plays well, the pickup covers and knobs not matching doesn't matter and Ilikeit as is. What is the history behind the decal on the hedastock?
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
NickD

Post by NickD »

sunshiner wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 12:30 pm If it plays well, the pickup covers and knobs not matching doesn't matter and Ilikeit as is. What is the history behind the decal on the hedastock?
It’s my surname. I never think a guitar looks right without a decal so I’ve used these for any parts casters I’ve built.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

I actually like the mismatched covers for some reason. Reckon a mint guard would look great on it, too.
NickD

Post by NickD »

Bacchus wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:19 pm I actually like the mismatched covers for some reason. Reckon a mint guard would look great on it, too.
I've darkened it a bit in that pic, but I'm not super happy with the result and it's a bit tight too. It's better than the bright white it is naturally. I may get a replacement that fits a bit better though, not sure yet.

You are right about the guard, mint would be great, but I doubt the existing guard is a standard Fender/Squier Strat pattern.
Gavin
I Beat BBC News

Post by Gavin »

Is it just me or is the string spacing at the nut a bit weird? Like, there looks to be loads of space above the low e.