Filtertron'ed Jazzmaster

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

ekwatts
A series of tubes

Filtertron'ed Jazzmaster

Post by ekwatts »

I haven't bevelled the scratchplate enough yet, nor have I counter sunk the screw holes enough. But here's where it all currently stands.
20221010_145331.jpg
20221010_145331.jpg (4.92 MiB) Viewed 1231 times
Brandon W wrote:you elites.
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Re: Filtertron'ed Jazzmaster

Post by ekwatts »

Finished. I'll try and get a video soon. Maybe.

20221013_091801.jpg
20221013_091801.jpg (5.01 MiB) Viewed 1200 times
20221013_091754.jpg
20221013_091754.jpg (4.24 MiB) Viewed 1200 times
Gavin
I Beat BBC News

Post by Gavin »

Looks pretty cool.
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

Thing I still need to do:

Lower those controls. I secured them far too high up, so those knobs are hovering way off the control plate.

Secondly, I can't raise the bridge pickup high enough as the screws are secured into the two little recesses you get on either side of a regular humbucker rout. So I need to fill those recesses a little and maybe even just raise the entire rout by a few millimetres so the pickup has a more useful overall travel distance to and from the strings.

Also, these pickups sound amazing. I've never had a filtertron equipped guitar before (hence why I wanted to modify this one) but I don't actually know if these are "proper" filtertrons, or just PAFs in a filtertron case. They're Roswell Pickups http://roswellpickups.com/product-cate ... kboard_id= and they sure do look the part, and I think I got them at the time because they had the correct measurements, and my intention may have been to replace them at a later date with the genuine article but... er, I don't know if I want to. The difference between these and the stock Fender Atomic humbuckers is night and day.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Surely any piece of material in there would work? A wooden block, an offcut of foam etc?
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Looks rad. Your pups are probably the same as GFS ones. In last 10 years they've started making proper budget filtertron copies with ceramic and alnico magnets. By "they", I mean "probably China"
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

You can use you current screws to attach a narrow plank of wood to the back of the pickup and use the sticking out plank as the ears on a regular humbucker. Then screw through the pickguard into the plank's ears with a pair of screws for height adjustment a la regular humbucker setup. The downside is you'll have two additional screws on your pickguard face and will lose the "clean look". Though companies who make filtertrons usually sell an aluminium plank that is used exactly like that to mount a filtertron like a regular humbucker.
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

This came out great!
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

Looks really mint! ~(bravo)
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

Agree, I usually turn my nose up at filtrons in Fender style guitars but that really works.
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

Love it. If you've got a spare mousepad or something just cut that up and make a shim.
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED