Mustang Setup: Squier Classic Vibe Mustang

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

taylornutt

Mustang Setup: Squier Classic Vibe Mustang

Post by taylornutt »

I got a few minutes and decided to finally setup my new Classic Vibe Mustang I just picked up.

I took off the cheap strings and completely dissembled the guitar.

ImageImage

I took off the pickguard and was surprised to see shielding paint and an organize wiring job. They even grounded to the body.

I removed the neck and added a shim. While the neck was off, I attempted to condition the fretboard. It still has a dry appearance but is slowly improving.

ImageImage

I swapped out the stock Vibrato for a Fender Vibrato. The Fender Vibrato fit perfectly on the Squier Body. I also applied loctite to the bridge screws and set the bridge height.

I strung it up with .011 - 049 strings. I might need to make some adjustments, but it's sounding really good now. I am going to play it for a while before making any further adjustments.

ImageUntitled by Joey, on Flickr
J Mascis Jazzmaster | AVRI Jaguar | Tuxedo-stang |Fender Toronado GT |
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
Thom
lamp

Re: Mustang Setup: Squier Classic Vibe Mustang

Post by Thom »

((thumup) Looking good
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

Looks great. Wonder if you get some better pots.
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

plopswagon wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:10 pm Looks great. Wonder if you get some better pots.
I am going to keep the stock electronics/pickups for now. I want to get the action and vibrato working well. The stock bridge doesn't appear to be adjustable from the top the way a normal Fender bridge would be. None of my Allen keys appear to fit it.

I am tempted to swap out the bridge pickup for something else.
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

I was playing the Mustang some today and kept noticing the G string not sounding right when I would play a D Chord.

This problem only started when I put the new strings on.

I compared the nut to my other guitars (Bronco and Mustang) and I clearly had not dropped the strings down enough.

I determined that I needed to enlarge/deepen the grooves in the nut to accommodate for the new strings.

A few minutes with a blade and file and it's now playing like it should.

I need to lower the bridge height a little or add another shim to the neck. It's not bad just a small adjustment.

The guitar is really coming together.