1974 Gibson Marauder & Ripper 7" gear demo records

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

paul_

1974 Gibson Marauder & Ripper 7" gear demo records

Post by paul_ »

From www.flyguitars.com and www.vintageguitarandbass.com

In 1974/75 Gibson produced a number of promotional 7" 45 rpm records to promote various new instruments. These included one for the Ripper bass, and one for the Marauder guitar. Unlike the earlier flexi-discs made for the Les Paul Recording guitar and Triumph bass, these were actually made of vinyl, with a proper sleeve.

The Marauder
marauderpromo.jpg
marauderpromo.jpg (32.21 KiB) Viewed 739 times

A-Side

Introduction to the Gibson Marauder (country style)

Marauder bridge pickup - piercing blues licks

Marauder neck pickup - mellow jazz

Both pickups - jazz/rock

Marauder (outro)
Clip 4, featuring both pickups shows that this was with recorded with an early Marauder, fitted with a three-way switch rather than the blend control that allowed the two pickups to me mixed to varying degrees.

B-Side

A track highlighting the Gibson Marauder, featuring Bruce Bolen (Gibson Marauder guitar), Henry Sterlicky (Gibson Ripper bass), Johnny Propst (Keyboard), Drums Larry Londin.

Marauder Demonstration Track

This piece of music blends jazz, disco and rock for a sound that must have been completely in vogue when the record was recorded. Bruce Bolen, a Gibson employee and distinguished jazz guitarist, plays a number of styles throughout the track.
Last edited by paul_ on Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
paul_

Re: 1974 Gibson Marauder & Ripper 45rpm gear demos

Post by paul_ »

Ripper L9-S Bass

Ripperpromo.jpg
Ripperpromo.jpg (45.92 KiB) Viewed 737 times
RipperPromoDisk_side2.jpg
RipperPromoDisk_side2.jpg (111.94 KiB) Viewed 737 times
A-Side

Introduction to the Gibson Ripper
Narrated by Richard Evans. Precise settings used are detailed on the back cover. Includes a funky instrumental version of "it's your thing" with guitarist Phil Upchurch.

B-side

Gibson Ripper Demonstration Track "Bass Meant"
Bass Meant by funk rock group Chase; bassman Dartanyan Brown gets funky with his new Gibson Ripper.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Doog
mid-century modem

Re: 1974 Gibson Marauder & Ripper 7" gear demo records

Post by Doog »

fuck yeahhhh

This guy pure sounds like he's on ludes; very period-correct

The washy reverb on the voice doesn't make me feel any less medicated too
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit