So, I uh, might have done something kind of stupid..

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Johno

Re: So, I uh, might have done something kind of stupid..

Post by Johno »

Loving that Telecaster, what model is it?
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

It's an Aerodyne Tele. They Japanese, and for a little while around 2005ish they were exported. It's my nicest and main guitar.

Recently upgrade the pickups and electronics. It's superb!

viewtopic.php?t=70334
Ankhanu

Post by Ankhanu »

That looks sick.

didn't realize there were any other Aerodyne Tele players on the forum. Phenomenal playing and sounding guitars. Does yours have any issues with the switch and the bridge pickup? I even replaced the switch a few years back and it's still occasionally not working until I toggle it a couple times.
ekwatts wrote:That's American cinema, that is. Fucking sparkles.
Donate to Ankhanu Press
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

Mike wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:14 am I love casters. I used to have them on my old Marshall 80s 4x12 but when I sold that I moved them to my 2x12.

Being able to roll stuff around your house FTW
100%

though the job i did was not perfect, drilling in casters was the first and only mod i made to the ac30 when i got it. i'm debating if i want to do it on the prosonic. it's a 2x10 instead of 2x12, but it's still heavy af.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Ankhanu wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:02 pm That looks sick.

didn't realize there were any other Aerodyne Tele players on the forum. Phenomenal playing and sounding guitars. Does yours have any issues with the switch and the bridge pickup? I even replaced the switch a few years back and it's still occasionally not working until I toggle it a couple times.
I had to replace it a load of times when I first had the guitar. It was always breaking. I assumed it was because I was using a hard case and the carved top meant there was a bit of wiggle room so it could move around and the switch would get bashed. I changed to a gig bag and things got better, but that might just have been luck and finally getting a three-way that didn't fall apart?

I've since changed it to a freeway six position switch for all sorts of options.
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

I think the “stupid” must be catching, I drove to Sidmouth this afternoon to pick up a Marshall 1960a 4x12 to replace my much more convenient vertical 2x12 :lol:
Need some casters!
B622A105-6805-48A1-95A8-5607B0B17505.jpeg
B622A105-6805-48A1-95A8-5607B0B17505.jpeg (3.43 MiB) Viewed 3087 times
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Haha, nice. Did you get rid of the 212, then?

What speakers are in the 1960?

The Marshall cab I have is an AVT412. It's a little more compact than the "proper" ones and sounds great. A lot of people dismiss them as being about the same as the MG cabs, but I think they're a bit of a step up. A good shout if you want a proper cab but don't have the space or whatever.
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Not quite yet, but the 2x12 is going - had to promise that to the wife! The 2x12 is an MX but I put greenbacks in it to replace the 70/80s which I thought were rubbish. A compact 4x12 like yours sounds like a good thing.
In the 1960 it’s the standard G12-75s, I like them and am used to them as it’s what I use at the Tazma practice room.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Amusingly G12T-75s after being overlooked for years are about to get a size-able bump in price since a bunch of kurt lovers just got told it's the key to the Nevermind sound:

[youtube][/youtube]

I always loved the ones in my old 4x12". An industry classic for a reason. Fucking daft like, but I'm into that these days. Embrace the daft - live your life, smile like a loon.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Most amps sound like crap unless they're running through a Marshall cab.

Never got complaints from housemates or neighbors until I started using a Vibro Champ in the house. A 100-watt head through a 1960A 4x12 has a way more focused/less abrasive sound, regardless of SPL.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Mike wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 7:45 pmEmbrace the daft - live your life, smile like a loon.
((thumup)
Gavin
I Beat BBC News

Post by Gavin »

DAE07E86-2AAD-4022-89B4-15B373E3F86B.png
DAE07E86-2AAD-4022-89B4-15B373E3F86B.png (566.95 KiB) Viewed 3044 times
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Fuck

I deserved that
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

paul_ wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 1:07 am Most amps sound like crap unless they're running through a Marshall cab.

Never got complaints from housemates or neighbors until I started using a Vibro Champ in the house. A 100-watt head through a 1960A 4x12 has a way more focused/less abrasive sound, regardless of SPL.

it does have its own voicing and changes that of whatever your run through it. something about the celestions and the angled front that seems to work that magic. every straight 1960 i've played has been much more wooly. even the fender straight 4x12 i loaded with those speakers was missing a lot of that focused element you mentioned.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Thom wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 6:16 pm
Both the "tiny head, massive cab" look and the implied heft reminded me of

Bacchus wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:55 pm Doog: The Jet City amps in Amplitube always seemed like a strange inclusion to me, especially given that they are ostensibly budget amps. Those ones I think are straight clones of the more typical Soldanos. What's weird is that I think that the original Soldanos were also included? So you had a model of the Soldano, plus a model of its clone? I got the impression that Jet City's inclusion might have been part of the negotiation for getting the Soldanos in there. Sort of "you can license our top end amps, but only if you include and basically advertise our budget amps at the same time."
Further to the 'Jet City being a weird small brand strong-armed into big places by big brother' story, I just learned of these this weekend:

They did pedals, and a few with JHS??
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Doog wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 2:05 pm Both the "tiny head, massive cab" look and the implied heft reminded me of
:lol:
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Doog wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 2:05 pm
Bacchus wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:55 pm Doog: The Jet City amps in Amplitube always seemed like a strange inclusion to me, especially given that they are ostensibly budget amps. Those ones I think are straight clones of the more typical Soldanos. What's weird is that I think that the original Soldanos were also included? So you had a model of the Soldano, plus a model of its clone? I got the impression that Jet City's inclusion might have been part of the negotiation for getting the Soldanos in there. Sort of "you can license our top end amps, but only if you include and basically advertise our budget amps at the same time."
Further to the 'Jet City being a weird small brand strong-armed into big places by big brother' story, I just learned of these this weekend:

They did pedals, and a few with JHS??
Huh. Didn't know about these at all. Wonder if they were more a Stateside thing.

Seems the first ones were Soldano designed, then JHS got involved?

But even the amps aren't pure Soldano, some were made/designed by the THD people.

What a weird brand...
paul_

Post by paul_ »

plopswagon wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:16 pm Every time I see this thread this is what I think of
► Show Spoiler
This for me
► Show Spoiler
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

I fixed the picture Doog :lol: (sorry to hijack the thread Paul!)
Got my original JVM in 2007 when they came out and sold it in 2010 or 11. Have wished I hadn’t for a while now. It’s like turning back time 15 years…midlife crisis anyone? :lol:
Either way, it’s a bloody great amp and have been playing for hours with a massive grin on my face!
DCF92E8B-CF4C-4938-90CB-41DDA549530B.jpeg
DCF92E8B-CF4C-4938-90CB-41DDA549530B.jpeg (4.16 MiB) Viewed 2948 times
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

YESSSSS!!!!!

That's my other dream amp, other than the 1224.

The JVM410 is basically all the Marshalls in one head, with more switchable options between them than you could want. I love them.

I keep trying to get my band to go to Tazma instead of Brazen, mostly because they have a JVM head there and I could show up an hour early and have a play.

Congrats!