Vintage Guitar Co. offers improved "Jag"?

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

Doug

Vintage Guitar Co. offers improved "Jag"?

Post by Doug »

Though I don't own one, this Forum has made me aware of some Jaguar bridge, tremolo, and shallow break-angle shortcomings. When I found this article, it sounded like the Vintage Guitar Company has solved some of them. So FYI, and let us know what you think:

http://guitar.com/review/electric-guit ... 3-50578944

Cheers,

Doug
Doug
Doog
mid-century modem

Re: Vintage Guitar Co. offers improved "Jag"?

Post by Doog »

That's a Jazzmaster, bud!

There's been a lot of Fenders and Squiers doing similar things with the bridge (namely the J Mascis and Deluxe), although the tailpiece-bridge break angle can be addressed with a proper setup; the review of this one even says the 'tune-o-matic' approach can't avoid that:

For the most part the roller saddles on the Wilkinson bridge cope extremely well at preventing the string-slip that’s often a problem with this kind of ultra-shallow break angle – though we did pop the low E string out of its groove a few times.

I'm a sucker for a black-tort Jazzmaster (I cobbled one together) but the P90s let the whole aesthetic down, seems weird when you can buy a 'more authentic' Squier for less than this Vintage's £450 price tag.
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

do what works for you in terms of getting any guitar to feel, sound, and play right for you is what i say. there are so many eccentricities to the instrument's design already, that the complex bridge and trem systems just add to that.

but i agree that the additives are not necessary if the guitar is setup the way it supposed to be. it's equally true that you cannot expect to receive a jaguar from the factory in such a state... which is really stupid, tbh. if i bought a new VW and had to inflate the tires and reseal all the gaskets, i'd be pretty pissed.
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

You clearly have never bought a new VW.
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

=]
mkt3000

Post by mkt3000 »

dots wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:31 pm if i bought a new VW and had to inflate the tires and reseal all the gaskets, i'd be pretty pissed.
You just described VW ownership.

Also replacing the windshield because the fucking thing delaminated before delivery.
10 PRINT "Bite Me!"
20 GOTO 10
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

I've seen these around online and wondered what the point of them is when priced above a Squier. I also can't really see how and where this improves significantly on the design?

The break angle stuff was improved on years ago with those models that moved the tailpiece up the body to just behind the bridge, and I'd have hoped that that particular design change would have stuck around more but lots of traditionalists were unhappy about it anyway (because they're fucking idiots). Beyond that, I definitely class myself as being NOT A FAN of the way the Jaguar/Jazzmaster bridges "mount" to the body with the whole "rocking motion" stuff (though the units themselves are fine) but it really isn't that insurmountable a problem in itself.

So yeah, I don't really see what these offer above and beyond the equivalent Squier models.
Brandon W wrote:you elites.
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

Looks like a cheap attempt of a Nash Jazzmaster.
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED