Descendant arrived but having doubts...

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

kim
[='±'=]

Descendant arrived but having doubts...

Post by kim »

...about which guitar gets it, specifically, which jazzmaster... :wink:

My original plan was the squier classic vibe with Q pickups '58 as it has my favourite sound...and safetipost tuners...

...but i'm not sure about the panorama trem in the american pro II.

Recently that trem has gotten a 'hickup' when it returns to its position after pressing down. I'm suspecting something with the pivot plate..or the spring...something is catching.

(might make a post about it when i get in there to find the culprit)

The descendant looks so fucking solid and a step ahead.

Love that staytrem with the screw exposed to adjust trem arm 'stay' over the panorama's internal screw--why, fender, why ?

Also temporarily removing the strings for work seems so easy on it too as it's top loading and you can just slide the strings out by the ball ends.

Basically i want another...or 3...one for the kurdtz jag too as that one's got its flaw too (beveled slider lock...fantastic...)

Thom
lamp

Re: Descendant arrived but having doubts...

Post by Thom »

kim wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:27 pm Basically i want another 3...
Do this….and sell me the panorama :lol:

The descendant looks awesome though!
kim
[='±'=]

Post by kim »

:P

I love the look of the classic shiny chrome fender offset trem, the print, the lock, i'm snobby/nostalgic about it.

Think i will install the descendant on the cv jm and make up my mind then.
I need to do some comparing (both installed and just the units by themselves) and figure what's up with the panorama catching too.
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Yeah it’s probably something simple on the panorama, US trems are usually pretty robust. I was thinking of getting a descendent or mastery for my partscaster Jazzy, but am probably going to sell it so that would be a waste!
kim
[='±'=]

Post by kim »

mike adams (puisheen) wasn't positive about the spring used in the panorama's (weak). Seem to be cutting corners while asking more for their redesign/features.

I've had no problems with the panorama myself until the 'hickup' now which i'm sure i can sort out.
Using 11-47 thomastik flats i have enough travel (though would be more with a stronger spring i guess, i don't need its 'full potentioal max travel').

But with heavier gauges people have been having issues with not enough spring resistance on the panorama's (like, 'use 10s or less bs).