Tanglewood TW28 acoustic machine heads

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

NickS

Tanglewood TW28 acoustic machine heads

Post by NickS »

I may have mentioned elsewhere that I came to tune my Tanglewood TW28 acoustic last night and the tuning button fell off the machine.
► Show Spoiler
The guitar is coming up to 20 years old in a couple of months, bought as an 18th birthday present for my older daughter but she found it too large for comfort and asked me to get a smaller guitar. The local Tanglewood dealer doesn't think there's any prospect of getting a spare from Tanglewood for a model that old, so I've been looking at the alternatives. Ideally I'd like a replacement set that won't leave me with old screwholes, etc.
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
So Gotoh SG301-01 seems to be the best alternative from a big name and they provide decent measurement drawings that make me confident they would fit. I haven't found enough detail on the WIlkinson ones to be able to work out whether they would match the existing screw hole. Then I stumbled across some by "Musiclily" with some positive reviews by people who sound as though they know what they're talking about, at a fraction of the price. Maybe I'll try that..
► Show Spoiler
Order placed... ah. Shipping from the good ol' US of A, be with me a week Monday. Hopefully.
Personal pronouns he/him
Thom
lamp

Re: Tanglewood TW28 acoustic machine heads

Post by Thom »

((thumup)
NickS

Post by NickS »

Whut? Delivered to the Amazon locker yesterday.
Personal pronouns he/him
NickS

Post by NickS »

So here it is: I only replaced one for now.
The Musiclily kit comes shrink-packed on card.
► Show Spoiler
The tuner contains minor finish flaws compared to the original Tanglewood tuner and some of the corners on the button are not visibly rough but a little rough to the touch. The post has more side-to-side play too.
► Show Spoiler
The tuners look very similar underneath though the flanges are slightly different in size - I've used the original screw. I chose the cheaper tuner kit from Musiclily so the button is smaller than the original.
► Show Spoiler
The Musiclily post is about 2mm shorter, but it works - the headstock thickness on the Tanglewood is 17mm. You may also spot that there is a little more gap between the post and the ?ferrule. The Tanglewood washer has more of a step or bevel on it and is a little more polished.
► Show Spoiler
Personal pronouns he/him
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

NickS's documentation game is on point as ever. great post!