New Pickups: Bulldog Custom Set

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Re: New Pickups: Bulldog Custom Set

Post by Bacchus »

I've always been tempted, but also worried that they might be a bit gimmickey and rubbish, but it works really well.

I'm hoping that it will last as well. I have no idea how they're constructed or how fragile it is. It's not like it's going to be used for killswitch type stuff or anything drastic, so hopefully I can take care of it.
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Yeah they look really good. I had a conversation with the guys at Bareknuckle about them at some point and they rate them so I reckon you’ll be golden.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Having played it more today, I can confirm that this is great. Basically all guitars should be this telecaster.

The weird out of phase thing actually makes things easier, as it means that my three "standard" settings are at the corners, so are easiest to locate (neck up to left, bridge down to left, both in parallel down to right).

Then series settings are the two above parallel/in-phase. Parallel/out-of-phase is the one I would use least, and is the trickiest to get to.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

So was that initial combined setting actually out-of-phase, or just how these pickups happened to sound together?
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Yep. Emailed Hayden to try to find out what's going on and how to fix. It's a moot point now, I prefer the way the options are located on the Freeway switch better than I think I would the way it's supposed to be. But in the future I might conceivably go back to a normal three-way, it would be good to be able to fix this.

My brain hurts trying to think about whether the taps would change the process for reversing the phase. There are two taps, but I suppose that after the tap switch, that's reduced down to one hot and one ground. Suppose I'd switch these?

Not likely to go poking at any rate, it works by some miracle and is deadly silent. I haven't fucked anything up, so I should push my luck.

The guitar sounds so good I'd even be tempted to properly intonate it.