Building a mini Kurdt pedalboard

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

taylornutt

Building a mini Kurdt pedalboard

Post by taylornutt »

My niece lives in Seattle and started playing guitar last year. Her parents bought her a Mustang amp and a Squier Strat.

She is a big Cobain fan and I thought it would be fun to build her a small pedalboard.

I was thinking a Pedaltrain Nano with a Boss Tuner, BOSS DS-1 and a chorus(used EHX Small Clone or Neo Clone)

What suggestions you have for building a minimalist Kurdt pedalboard?

This is the guitar she has: Squier Strat
Last edited by taylornutt on Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J Mascis Jazzmaster | AVRI Jaguar | Tuxedo-stang |Fender Toronado GT |
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Re: Building a mini Kurdt pedalboard

Post by Bacchus »

That sounds brilliant and very sweet.

Possibly a sansamp clone?
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

Bacchus wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:51 pm That sounds brilliant and very sweet.

Possibly a sansamp clone?
Was that a general purpose pedal for Kurt or only on specific songs?
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

http://www.groundguitar.com/kurt-cobai ... p-classic/

Dirt box for In Utero era songs reportedly.

Really nice idea, I might consider a smaller inexpensive tuner and put the TU-2 funds toward a DS-2 upgrade

Could also get this for her strat :lol:
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

Nick wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:27 pm http://www.groundguitar.com/kurt-cobain ... p-classic/

Dirt box for In Utero era songs reportedly.

Really nice idea, I might consider a smaller inexpensive tuner and put the TU-2 funds toward a DS-2 upgrade

Could also get this for her strat :lol:
The TU-2 is going to also power the other pedals via Daisy chain.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

The TU-2 doesn't do anything magic re: sharing the power; it's effectively just an internal daisy-chain, a "thru", plus I just read that it's limited to 200mA because of limitations:

"There actually is a reason for the 200mA limit [...] The two DC jacks are connected via a small circuit board, and if you run more than 200mA or so of current through it, the copper traces can overheat and lift from the board."

You could just use the power supply with a daisy chain directly, and pick up a cheaper tuner if you so wish it.
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

Doog wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:59 am The TU-2 doesn't do anything magic re: sharing the power; it's effectively just an internal daisy-chain, a "thru", plus I just read that it's limited to 200mA because of limitations:

"There actually is a reason for the 200mA limit [...] The two DC jacks are connected via a small circuit board, and if you run more than 200mA or so of current through it, the copper traces can overheat and lift from the board."

You could just use the power supply with a daisy chain directly, and pick up a cheaper tuner if you so wish it.
I have always used a TU-2 and I use it to power a couple of pedals.

Since it was going to be a pretty small pedal board, I don't think it will be a problem.

But if I find a cheaper tuner with a separate power supply, I can definitely go that route.

I will probably be buying used pedals to help keep the cost down as well.
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

I've just bought the Behringer GDI21 which I think is supposed to be the sansamp clone. It sounds pretty good and probably will get a better tone than the DS1

Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Are any of the currently available Sansamp clones copies of the Sansamp Classic, though?
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Nope but you can cop that sound really well with a GT-2 in my opinion

I’m sure that clone sounds just as good
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

I used to have a Sansamp classic ages ago and never liked it. From what the internet tells me the G2 is more limited but easier to swap sounds and better on your pedalboard than the classic less good direct...who knows? But the Behringer copy gets teh kurts easily and is a very nice distortion in my opinion. Its went straight on my board.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Hurb wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:50 pm I've just bought the Behringer GDI21 which I think is supposed to be the sansamp clone. It sounds pretty good and probably will get a better tone than the DS1

I had one of those for a while; you can't turn off the speaker simulation, so it for sure sounds more 'rounded' than a DS-1 (and infinitely more flexible), especially running into a very clean solidstate amp, which, for all intents and purposes, may as well be DI box into the PA.

Face it though; when we were kids, we wanted exactly what our heroes used because it was super inspiring and fun to use the same tools, not because they necessarily accurately recreated the sounds.

Just looked at a 'DS-1 vs DS-2 mode I' comparison and the DS-2 sounds way less harsh, and doesn't have that crappy volume problem- DS-2 FTW, as we would've said 20 years ago.
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

Hurb wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:25 pm I used to have a Sansamp classic ages ago and never liked it.
telling a massive fucking lie there. just checked and it was gt2 I had ...fuckin noob.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Doog wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:52 pm Face it though; when we were kids, we wanted exactly what our heroes used because it was super inspiring and fun to use the same tools, not because they necessarily accurately recreated the sounds.

Just looked at a 'DS-1 vs DS-2 mode I' comparison and the DS-2 sounds way less harsh, and doesn't have that crappy volume problem- DS-2 FTW, as we would've said 20 years ago.
QFT as we would have said 20 years ago. And honestly the TU-2 would look more legit on a tiny Kurt board I have to admit so I get that too.
NickD

Post by NickD »

Doog wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:52 pm
Face it though; when we were kids, we wanted exactly what our heroes used because it was super inspiring and fun to use the same tools, not because they necessarily accurately recreated the sounds.
I think it rings true throughout people's playing lives - there's a certain romance to gear purchases that goes way beyond the instrument as a tool and has a lot to do with what it was used for and who used it. It goes a long way to explain why guitarists are such a conservative lot.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Nick wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:39 am
Doog wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:52 pm Face it though; when we were kids, we wanted exactly what our heroes used because it was super inspiring and fun to use the same tools, not because they necessarily accurately recreated the sounds.

QFT as we would have said 20 years ago.
I nearly threw up typing "20 years ago", good fucking lord

NickD wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:13 am I think it rings true throughout people's playing lives - there's a certain romance to gear purchases that goes way beyond the instrument as a tool and has a lot to do with what it was used for and who used it. It goes a long way to explain why guitarists are such a conservative lot.
Absolutely; it's the only explanation as to why people still buy Les Pauls

Also - they reissued the Sansamp Classic last year! Do you reckon this is to meet the demand of all the Kurtzt Kidz hitting their midlife crisis?
NickD

Post by NickD »

Doog wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:41 am
Absolutely; it's the only explanation as to why people still buy Les Pauls

Also - they reissued the Sansamp Classic last year! Do you reckon this is to meet the demand of all the Kurtzt Kidz hitting their midlife crisis?
I feel personally attacked. I'd agree if you change Les Paul for Jagstang

On the Sansamp Classic - definitely. We buy the things we really wanted as kids. 80's hot hatchbacks are really expensive now for the same reason. It explains 40 year old men on skateboards and BMXs too.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

just a leel joke
NickD

Post by NickD »

Doog wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:21 amjust a leel joke
((thumup)
Doog