Synths...EBM/industrial/synthwave/retrowave/coldwave

For all non-guitar instruments; mandolins, synths, kazoos, and anything else musical that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderated By: mods

kim
[='±'=]

Re: Synths...EBM/industrial/synthwave/retrowave/coldwave

Post by kim »

cool

Might break out my old roland r5 this weekend, i have no midi cables i think but i'm kind of getting curious about going without anything software/pc and all hardware instruments.
Venturing into syncing and controlling sans software sometime i think. For now i'll route stuff through a DAW and controller.

The R5 isn't great but there's some stuff there when you put it through effects (like...dirt !)
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

There will be settings on the Odyssey you can change by plugging it into your computer and using the Behringer synth tool.

I can’t remember what settings are in there but if you have any issues with sync or anything check that. I’m just mentioning that as the version of the manual that came with mine had zero useful info in it 😂
kim
[='±'=]

Post by kim »

Yup, nothing about software or use with DAW in it either, didn't even know about a behringer synth tool. tSSS.

I did see there's people sharing patches and stuff so i guess you can do stuff with it through software. Curious.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Just to make it more confusing it does different things in different synths, velocity curves, note priority, easier to use sequencer etc etc.
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

That's super cool you got that ARP as a gift.

But I would say the best synth for learning synthesis is the original Mini Brute. The layout is extremely logical on the panel. The MB II has more features, but the layout is not as intuitive, and that patch bay is too complicated.

The Micro Brute is simple, but I found most of the sounds too trashy. Might be something you might like, don't know. The keys are pretty bad too, I don't mind that they're small, but they just feel bad.

But if you want those industrial/EBM sounds, the Yamaha Reface would work. The layout is not that intuitive, it's got some waveforms that I'm not even sure what they really are, and a slider that does a different modification depending on the waveform. The settings are kind of complicated as well, I had to look in the manual to set the quantisation so I could make the sequencer more usable (which also loses what you record into it when you turn the unit off).

What you got should work fine as well, just need to figure it out. Sorry if I gave you GAS.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts